z probe help

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider z probe help

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Michael 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

I am adding a z-probe to my lowrider.  I purchased everything from v1, mini rambo board with lcd.  Wondering what, if anything will need to be changed in the firmware to get the z-probe to work, and the process for setting z height using the z-probe.  Any help is appreciated.

Barry
    Participant

Nope, nothing needs to be changed.  Tool height will depend on the probe height.

Michael
    Participant

Do I need to input the probe thickness into the firmware?

Ryan
    Keymaster

You can manually add it to the gcode like I do and have shown on the basics page, or you can add probe offset in the firmware.

Michael
    Participant

Thanks

Dan Roesch
    Participant

Michael. Could you document your implementation of the z probe? I’m interested in trying that on my lowrider as well.

Thanks!

Dan

Michael
    Participant

It is working.  It was actually pretty simple.  Well, once I realized I didn’t have it on the correct plug it was simple.

Dan, all you need to do attach the probe wires to the Z min “s” and “-” pins.  then one wire to the plate and the other to alligator clips.  From there it is just a g28 z gcode sent to board via repetier then a g92 z to set the z height to the thickness of your plate.  You can find explanation of this on the milling basics page. I haven’t added the gcode into my file gcode yet, just playing with it. One thing to note, a couple of times I had to send the g92 z gcode multiple times before it took, so make sure to look at your LCD to verify that your z position changes from 0 to the thickness of your plate.

Michael
    Participant

Just one more quick question for you guys.  Do I need to add everything to the tool change gcode, or can I have the machine pause and send the gcode to set z directly with repetier then have the job continue.  The reason I ask is that I had a couple of instances where I had to send the g92 command multiple time before it took and would like to be able to make sure it is right before continuing the job.  Although I believe if I add a probe offset in the firmware this should alleviate the issue.  I am a little nervous about messing with the firmware though as I don’t really have any experience there and would hate to mess it up.

Michael
    Participant

If I add a z probe offset to the firmware, would it be a + or – value?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.