Z axis powering down mid cut

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Z axis powering down mid cut

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lewis 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Lewis
    Participant

Hi guys,

I finished building my MPCNC a few weeks ago and It’s been working awesome! I’m super impressed with it, I’m even helping a friend build another one at the moment.

I have only had this one issue though.

I’ve seen people have issues with the Z axis falling down on here before, But I’m having mine fall down mid-cut.

The Z motor is shutting down and plunging the router into my piece.

The X and Y motors keep on going, dragging my now overloaded router through the piece.

It’s only happening on this last job I have been doing, and it’s the biggest thing I have done so far.

My theory is that because it takes so long to do 1 layer, the Z axis is going into standby.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would be forever grateful.

I was supposed to have finished this job by today :/

Thanks!

Jamie
    Participant

I don’t think it will power down any of the steppers from inactivity as long as some axes are moving.  Now I’m curious, I will check this.

It could also be the stepper driver going into thermal shutdown if the current is a bit high and generating slightly more heat than it can dissipate.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Lewis
    Participant

I don’t think the Stepper Driver should be overheating, The Z axis is doing literally nothing for a few minutes, stepping down 1mm then going back to doing nothing for ages.

I’m using the archim board from here btw.

Jamie
    Participant

The motors and drivers still use the full amount of current even if they are just holding position.  But you are probably right, they are probably not overheating.  You can make sure, next time you run a long-ish job, after a while just feel the drivers and you will get an idea.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jamie
    Participant

And I did check, the Z will not power down until all axes stop moving and then the idle timeout elapses.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Lewis
    Participant

Just did the same cuts, but took breaks in between, so I think you might be right about the overheating.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.