Z axis not returning above plain

New Home Forum LowRider Troubleshooting – LowRider Z axis not returning above plain

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bill Fortini 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Bill Fortini
    Participant

My “Z” axis is not returning above plain at the end of the job when it returns to home.

Stays at finished depth, cutting it’s way back to home.

Bill

BT
    Participant

If your using Estlcam, make sure you’ve set the clearance plane above your work surface.  Also make sure you’ve set the Rapid Feed Z to something that does’t cause missed steps – 480mm/min in accordance with the guidance from Ryan.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bill Fortini
    Participant

Ryan,

Finally watched closely. the job cuts fine… does everything it’s supposed to. When it finishes, and starts for home

the stepper closer to home quits. The other end goes up (as it should). They both move in sync. during the job,

or when using manual control.

Oh..yes, I am using Estlcam. and Repetier host.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Are the pulleys tight? There is no difference from a regular move to a final move in the gcode so it really should not be that.

Bill Fortini
    Participant

X and Y are fine . This is the Z axis. The lead screw seems to fall just like it dies when you shut the power off.

Barry
    Participant

Wired in series?

Bill Fortini
    Participant

Yes. As the harness came. Like I say the both operate in sync during the job, or when I jog them manually

Bill Fortini
    Participant

I  have a spare mini Rambo (one of those guys who has a backup everything).

Not a big deal to swap it out, and try it.

When I first built the thing I tried to run it straight from the Estlcam controller, and wiped it out.

I reloaded the firmware, but maybe there’s something amiss

By the way… I’m thrilled with the machine, and was very impressed as I built with the thought that went into it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The lead screw seems to fall just like it dies when you shut the power off.

What are the last few lines of gcode in your file? It very well can be turning off, I have mine power down by default. If you want it to hold you need to tell it to and for how long.

Barry
    Participant

If it’s wired in series, and only one is moving, you have an open wire somewhere.  They can’t move independently otherwise.

Bill Fortini
    Participant

O.K….. I’m an idiot! It was just that the side with the controller falls down easier at power off, and looked like the other was going up.

I had the shut motors off after job on in repetier. All is well now.

Sorry for so much banter over what was a normal setting I should have caught.

Regards,

Bill

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.