z axis not moving correct amount

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC z axis not moving correct amount

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mastersapo 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Dave K
    Participant

So, I’m getting movement in this MPCNC build.  However, there seems to be a surprise that I don’t understand.

First, the hardware:

X and Y axes are using the stepper motors from V1Engineering

Z is using a different one because V1 only had 4 and is now sold out.  The one it’s using has the typical 1.8 degrees per step.  The leadscrew is from V1 Engineering, therefore 8mm/revolution.  The motors are all 3 set for 32 microsteps.  The Marlin is essentially Ryan’s version, with a different Motherboard (MKS Gen L v1.0)  The line defining the steps is:

#define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 800, 200 }

By my calculation, (32 microsteps/step)*(200 step/Revolution)*(1 revolution/8mm) gives 800 steps per mm, as is being used.

However, sending commands from the RepRap Controller

(#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER) causes about half the correct travel on the z-axis.  In other words, I send a command to move 10mm and it only moves about 5 mm.

Obviously, I could change the steps/mm, but why would this be necessary?

BT
    Participant

Any chance your stepper motor is 0.9 degrees/step?

Bill
    Participant

Or perhaps you don’t have the correct number of steps selected with the jumpers for your drivers. You need all three jumpers installed to get 32 steps.

BT
    Participant

@billsey – if he used less than 3 jumpers, he would get more travel rather than less per step, so I don’t think that’s it.

The other thing that would be easy to check is that the leadscrew is 8mm/rotation.  Ryan does a great job with quality control of his subvendors, so I doubt that is it, but it’s easy to check.  Other than the stepper motor and the leadscrew, I think you’re down to recompiling and reflashing the firmware with the steps/mm settings you have above.

Dave K
    Participant

The first thing I checked was the angular step size.  Specifications at Amazon are clear, but, there was a specification card with the motor.  I should check that too.  From Amazon:

* Manufacturer Part Number: 17HS19-2004S1
    * Motor Type: Bipolar Stepper
    * Step Angle: 1.8 deg.
    * Holding Torque: 59Ncm(83.6oz.in)
    * Rated Current/phase: 2.0A
    * Phase Resistance: 1.4ohms
    * Inductance: 3.0mH+/-20%(1KHz)

Physical Specification:

* Frame Size: 42 x 42mm
    * Body Length: 48mm
    * Shaft Diameter: 5mm
    * Shaft Length: 24mm
    * D-cut Length: 15mm
    * Number of Leads: 4
    * Lead Length: 1m with connector
    * Weight: 390g

As for the jumpers, the MKS Gen L board has jumpers in all three positions.  They’ve not been touched.

Dave K
    Participant

Good idea to confirm the travel per rotation.  It IS easy to check.

I also thought about connecting the z-stepper to the x or y driver, which is set for 200 steps per mm since it’s a belt.  That result should point to either the leadscrew or the motor.

Bill
    Participant

Try an M503 to see what your current settings are. If they are at 800 for Z then BT is likely right on the stepper being the 0.9° instead of the 1.8°.

Dave K
    Participant

Well, this one is just going to be a mystery  I guess, at least for now.  When I went back and connected all the stepping motors, the movement on the z axis is now OK.  I literally didn’t change anything .. Simply went ahead and connected x and y as well as z.  Before, it had been z only.

In fact  I would think that I had just been mistaken, but I had been able to reproduce the problem exactly multiple times.

But, now it works   Don’t know why.  Moving on

Thanks for the ideas.

Barry
    Participant

PFM.

mastersapo
    Participant

Easiest way I found to fix this is to take Actual distance / distance commanded and multiply that by your current z-steps / mm in firmware. I just had this issue with the new Rambo. Used a drop gauge and lowered z by 10 mm at a time, averaged, uploaded new firmware, checked again and by the 2nd time I had repeatable accuracy below what my gauge could measure.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.