Z AXIS FAILURE

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ralf 7 hours, 9 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

joe
    Participant

Ryan — I have been cutting text and images in wood [ “signs” ] successfully with the MPCNC  until recently.Now , when I make a cut – the tool works fine for a short time – then the Z Axis begins to rise above the work pc making a “shadow” cut . I can not find any settings that I have changed accidentally . When I talked to Ryan at REPRAP 2018 , We determined that the Ramps board was included in my kit.  H e said if it works , use it [it’s been fine till now]. But, I am wondering if it is time for a change.  I have no hesitation abt buying a new board. I have been using Inkscape , Estlcam 7 Repetier .  THANKS  for any advice you can offer.

Thanks Again , Joe

Aaryn
    Participant

I know this is not likely the case.  Have you checked the gcode to see if the z changes are in there?

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is a crazy error. Maybe try powering off, swap the Z driver with one of the other axis and see it that is still the case?

joe
    Participant

Ryan , I switched the Z and Y axis — the Y just muttered abt — the Z started to slowly rise above the work piece

Ryan
    Keymaster

That is really a new one to me. You are sure it is not your Gcode? Does it rise with my Crown code?

Guffy
    Participant

1. Check z coordinate on your lcd. Does it change when that issue happens? In other words does the issue could be inspired by firmware.

2. Do you use z probe? If so can you say that it works stable and hasn’t sometime triggering by EMI? Does endstops enabled for all the time or for homing time only?

Ralf
    Participant

Hello Everyone, i encountered the same behaviour yesterday on my machine.

motors in serial, tb6600, arduino nano with estcam firmware, estlcam.

the problem occures not only in actual programs, when i drive my z up and down 10mm after a few cycles a deviation is occuring. an ~ 3 minute engraving results in z shifted nearly 2mm upwards. i changed the driver, the arduino, the motor, even the motor cable, nothing changed. i think ill try grbl on the nano today and use ugs to check if its estlcams fault.

greetings from germany, ralf

Edit video of the behavior

• This reply was modified 5 days, 18 hours ago by  Ralf.
    • This reply was modified 5 days, 14 hours ago by  Ralf.

joe
    Participant

RYAN – I am using gcode that I have used successfully in the past [ the crown included ] .  Recently, it starts out cutting just fine at the beginning , but as it continues – it rises above the work piece to complete  the image ! ??????

Thanks for your time == Joe

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Any information to go with that? Long LCD cables, or bundled with the stepper wires?

I really have no idea this is the only place this has come up. Check for loose wires, static, swap cables, usb, SD cards. I can only guess. What have you tried, changed, anything.

Bill
    Participant

Loose coupler causing slipage when going down (pushing into workpiece) and success when going up?

joe
    Participant

First of all – THANKS to Ryan, Aeryn ,Guffy ,Ralf, Bill & everyone who tried to help. Now let me fess up to a DUMB action that appears to be the cause. Some time ago I experimented with a “Z” touch plate – I decided it wasn’t for me , so I rolled it up & put in in the far corner of my table -still attached to the circuit board [And FORGOT IT ] – Eventually it fell to the concrete floor – The wires never touching but they lay on the concrete. Maybe there was enough ‘bleed” thru the ground to cause a problem in the board ??? Way over my pay grade ! I removed the connector from the board and everything now works fine !

Thanks again – ” Dummy” Joe

Ryan
    Keymaster

No worries, we all make simple mistakes (all the time), it makes total sense now. I will remember that.

Ralf
    Participant

Hey joe, glad you figured it out!

also news from my end, it seems like my tb6600 drivers dont handle the microstepping well. i set my driver to 800 steps/rev and it works like a charm!

greetings

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.