Wiring issue? or reflash?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Wiring issue? or reflash?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Tim Ross
    Participant

I recently bought the RAMBO 1.4 board on the V1 site. I just plugged in the X, Y, Z, X1, Y1 locations and the X1 and Y1 are not turning. I searced in the software menu to see if there was an option to turn on X1 and Y1 but didn’t find it. I am simply plugging the stepper motors directly into the board to test operation; wires are not ran through pipes and covered with mesh yet. Should I turn the X1 and Y1 connector over and try it? I don’t want to damage the board or stepper motor. The Rambo board came with 4 end stops which I plan to install also. I just wanted to plug in and see the motors turn. I don’t have the grooved belts installed yet.

I just ordered the “Individual wiring kit” that includes wires for the endstops so wire management should be easier after I figure this out.

Jamie
    Participant

From my reading of the dual endstop page, I gather that it requires flashing dual-endstop-capable firmware.  I am inferring that the boards are not pre-flashed with dual-endstop firmware.  I am not seeing an option in the store to buy regular vs. dual-endstop firmware so I would assume they ship with regular (non-dual-endstop) firmware.

1 user thanked author for this post.

WoodFiend
    Participant

Hi,

I experienced the same issue.  I suspect the pre-flashed version is for series connected steppers.  When I put the stepper on the X axis it worked fine.

I’m in the process of setting up to flash to the dual. End stop version.  I tried last night but had failures which I’m attributing to using the wrong version of arduino (need 1.9 as I understand it)

YMMV, might want someone wiser than me weigh in though

Tim Ross
    Participant

I was thinking that if the board that I bought came with endstops, then it would be flashed for the endstop version. I removed the two working steppers from the board and put on the two non-working, and they started right up. So apparently X2 and Y2 are not supported yet. So, I’m gathering info about flashing the board. Good luck to all of us. I wanted to know how to do this anyway, and now I get to find out! (optimism).

WoodFiend
    Participant

Update:

I downloaded the endstop version off github.  I downloaded Arduino 1.8.9 from the arduino site (I downloaded the zip, not the app store version) then followed the how to:

https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/

I did get an odd warning message on compile

u8g_dev_t u8g_dev_rot = { u8g_dev_rot_dummy_fn, NULL, NULL };

but found a thread for it on github

https://github.com/olikraus/u8glib/issues/366

which basically said, ignore.  So I did.

I  plugged a stepper into E0 and connected with repetier and got a response where before I didn’t.

I think I’m good to go at this point.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was thinking that if the board that I bought came with endstops, then it would be flashed for the endstop version.

Nope. They all come with all the extras. Typically I send series unless you only buy a dual bundle. As always I strongly suggest you not use dual until you need it (if ever).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tim Ross
    Participant

Ryan, I thought that you recently changed your mind and recommended that we use the endstops? I want to be able to stop a job, resume, and change bits, etc. if possible. Anyway, are there instructions somewhere about what to do after reflashing the software? I re-flashed and now only one stepper motor moves while trying to home for X and Y. The X1 endstop causes the machine to not power up (I think I’ve got to move the plug over to the right and this may resolve this issue). I can’t find details about how to do this yet.

Thanks/Tim

Ryan
    Keymaster

Have a look at the dual endstops page. It can be a significant hurdle at first, stop, resume, and tool changes are actually pretty advanced as compared to making a sign.

Barry
    Participant

Also, if that endstop was wired wrong, it could have fried the circuit.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.