What spindle or router?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC What spindle or router?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Mark
    Participant

I am thinking about building a mpcnc but I don’t know much about cnc machines. I want a versatile machine, one that can easily handle aluminum (I would assume that it would then also do fine on other, softer, materials (wood, plastic, carbon fiber)). I would like something that is fairly quiet and also below $150 (including power supply and any controller).

So my question is what spindle or router should I get?

Do I need to be able to control the rpm with software, just use something like a potentiometer (like some spindles off ebay), or does it not need variable speed at all?

Ryan
    Keymaster

If you have no specific reason not too I highly suggest you use the recommended tools.

Mark
    Participant

With the Dewalt I wouldn’t be able to adjust the rpm of the router. Is that a problem for aluminum? Is it important to be able to adjust feeds and speeds in the software?

If I went with the recommended 500W spindle instead, would that be better for aluminum?

Sorry if these are obvious questions and thanks for the help.

Barry
    Participant

Until maybe the last 6 months, none of us could adjust spindle speed in hardware.  Most still don’t.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You can use an external speed controller if you really need to, there are other options now that Barry is hinting at but they are pretty advanced.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.