What bit to use for Hobby Plywood?

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC What bit to use for Hobby Plywood?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Iz Feliciano 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Iz Feliciano
    Participant

Hi, I had had my MPCNC built for some time now and I have used it exclusively as a needle cutter for cutting out foam board rc airplanes. And that has worked great! Now I’d like to use it to cut out certain part from hobby plywood that is between 2 and 3 mm thick. I have a Dremel mount that I designed and printed and it works great but my main question is what type of bit do I need to use to cut this type of wood? They are not huge parts at all but some do have small holes for passing screws, etc.

Dalton Porter
    Participant

Hi, what works best for me on plywood is a downcut spiral bit.  The upcut did a lousy job in my case.

Iz Feliciano
    Participant

Thanks. What size for smaller cuts?

Dalton Porter
    Participant

I use a 1/8 inch diameter.  That may be too big for very tiny detailed cuts.

Aaryn
    Participant

Depending on how fine of detail you want and how much $$ you want to spend you might want to consider getting a high qualtiy laser to cut the wood.  2-3 mm isn’t that thick.  Most cheap knock off lasers could still struggle with that but a good quality laser could cut through that.

For example.  I know my cheap knock off 15 watt laser ($200) wouldn’t have a chance.  I can only get it to cut 0.75 mm deep into wood even with multiple (dozens of) passes.  But the sales demo video that sold me on the Endurance laser 5.6 watt ($380 I think) showed it cutting through a 6 mm piece of wood in 3 passes.  I really need to get that thing hooked up to my machine.

As I understand a good quality 2 watt could make this cut for you.  The Watt rating isn’t the most important thing with lasers.  Its the optics and how much it can focus the beam. That’s why 15 watt is such a waste.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Aaryn.

Erwin Vigilia
    Participant

If you need something finer than 1/8″, I’ve had good results with the 2 flute 1/16″ bit Ryan sells on 1/4″ plywood and thinner.

https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/sharp-stuff/products/1-16-2-flute-endmill

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tim W
    Participant

I do pocketing with a 1mm end mill at 500mm min in hardwood for flat bottom v carve depth of cut 1 mm

Iz Feliciano
    Participant

I’ve tried an Endurance laser, it’s hype. I sold it after a month. Plus the smoke wasn’t ideal for my setup and shop.

I am now using a .8mm downcut bit and it is cutting really nice and clean. Runing at 4mm/s with a 2mm depth on each pass.

I’ll keep testing but I’m happy with it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.