What are the most common issues & problems?

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider What are the most common issues & problems?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

rolland elliott
    Participant

Basically what are the short comings of this machine?
    does the belt ever skip?
    skateboard wheels skip due to dust?
    poor dust management?

3d parts cracking?

Loss of accuracy due to thin tubing?

I have no idea I’ve never used it. Looking to learn the issues before I invest the $$$ and time into making one.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What kind of things do you want out of it, what are your expectations, and experience?

I would say no to all of the above, comfortably.

1 user thanked author for this post.

rolland elliott
    Participant

I would be cutting the following with it
    1/16″ 5052 aluminum sheet metal
    1/8″ ABS plastic
    1/16 polycarbonate plastic
    1/2″ and 3/4″ HDPE
    1/4″ pvc board
    very Rarely plywood
    I would most likely use the dewalt 611 palm router as the motor, I have one and the faster speeds are good for aluminum. Using mostly 4mm single upcut bits 90% of the time

I am worried most about cutting aluminum because of the following reasons
    #1 bits occassionally clog with aluminum chips
    #2 aluminum requires strong force and their might be deflection in the machine causing inaccuracies. Especially when making holes in the Z axis.
    I have read many complaints about belt driven Xcarves and worried this will be issue with this machine as well.

Not trying to be pesimistic, just want realistic expectations.

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Ha, I wouldn’t be worried. I was sweating bullets putting mine together because nothing seemed to go as planned. I was off to a bad start with my stainless being totally ovaled and curved like a banana. Managed to fix that. Next, I realized my table edges were about 1/16″ off in parallelism so I screwed aluminum L bracket on top to even out the edges. Aaaaafter all that, I had issues with squareness cause I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

After all that, perfect parts fresh off the hop. https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/quest-for-most-rigid-lowrider-2/

The only issue I have is that because the short axis has only 1 stepper, I get some weird bouncing back and forth during some X dominated cut loads. It doesn’t chatter or anything but it looks sketchy.

So what I am getting at is that it can easily do what you want seeing as my build full of mistakes managed to do something pretty neat.

rolland elliott
    Participant

That’s good to know, but it looks like your machine is 2×4′ and i want 4×8′ bed. There is a huge difference in stability between those two sizes.

Maybe I should of stated my question more politely. What are the limitations of this machine @ 4×8 bed size? Maximum feedrate I assume goes down?, Depth of cut is probabaly lower? What are the recommended speeds/feeds for various materials at 4×8′ size?

Ryan
    Keymaster

No one is going to give you numbers, every build, bit, material, environment is different. You are not asking anything crazy of the materials you want to cut. They are all easy from the list you just provided.

Cut speed for all my machines is 3-15mm/s (typically). That seems to be a factor of 1/8″ end mills. Depth of cut varies by material as well.

I am not really sure what you are looking to hear. Each foot larger does not equate to xmm/s slower or anything easy like that. Kevin blasts through aluminum while others have issues with wood (even foam sometimes).  If you build an understanding for it it is actually very simple, on the other hand some people just don’t get it. So you will be hard pressed to find anyone here make you any promises. Because I/we can do it does not mean you can do it.

On the other hand everyone will jump in and tell you if something does not seem possible. I under promise and over deliver.

Ryan
    Keymaster

You might be looking at other machines looking to make comparisons. Almost every other CNC in this category ships as a predetermined size and only uses their materials to make it. They can have a fairly set list of parameters. Here we have 6″x6″x2″ up to 5’x5’x18″ MPCNC’s 2’x4’x3″ LR2’s to 10’x5’x3″. I do understand it frustrates people coming from other machines but we are different. If I ever give a number, 90% of the time someone will chime in with “I cut faster” or “my machine can’t cut that fast” so I stopped giving numbers unless I make a video, then I put in what I did and usually skew the numbers more conservative to be safe. I find no reason to promise bleeding edge numbers. It is much nicer to be able to cut faster than me than it is not to be able to do what I do.

rolland elliott
    Participant

so basically if I run conservative cut speeds I will be ok with my materials. 3-15mm/ sec is what i consider on the slow side, but that is fine. Machines in this price range like Maslow or R3 Root are not any faster from what I have read. l  Just want to get my feet wet with this and it’s better than handholding a shaper origin which cuts slightly faster but requires you to babysit it.

It can do what I want; that’s I wanted to hear. started printing the 3d parts, using an 0.8mm nozzle, they are printing out quickly, might have to ream out some holes, but other than that they seem strong enough.
    Thanks Again.

Barry
    Participant

I’d go with a downcut end mill for your sheet metal cutting.  Up cut will pull it off the table surface and get ugly really fast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.