Wasps vs. Robots

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Wasps vs. Robots

This topic contains 37 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 17 hours, 44 minutes ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I found this wasp nest under my porch yesterday. I usually handle these things with some wasp spray. This guy is about 6″ diameter and they seem pretty aggressive.

I have this long porch, and it’s just high enough to crawl under, but I really don’t want to fight wasps on my back under my porch.

So I had this crazy idea… What if I attached an FPV camera to my RC car and drove around under there to look for more? What if… I attached the can to the car and had a servo to spray it. Crazy, or epic?

Ryan
    Keymaster

heebie jeebies, I had sooo many wasps digging in the grass the other day I am on full alert to find where the heck they went or came from.  I unfortunately have to inform you if they take the car and camera you will need to burn the deck….I suggest two nozzles maybe even two different kinds of spray to be thorough.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Yea, I’d be nuking that from orbit.  Shaneh is allergic to bee stings.

GaryH
    Participant

EPIC idea (and much better than torching the porch)

Jeffeb3
    Participant

We get a lot of wasps here. We have a pear tree and two apple trees. I think that’s their main food source. I’ve taken out a lot of the honey comb looking nests and the mud ones, but nothing this size. I’ve never been stung, so I was also thinking about getting tested at the allergists first before I attack them.

How would I control the spray can? The RC car I’m thinking of using is pretty small. I might have to go buy a smaller can of wasp spray. The one I have weighs as much as the car. This stuff is the foamy stuff and it kills quick and knocks them right out of the air.

I’m going to dust off the FPV monitor and see if I still have a working VTX and camera.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Servo arm to the nozzle, gears if you really need to. Drive to aim. Quick and dirty swap out the steering servo for the trigger and just drive in a straight line.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

FPV gear all still works. It runs a little warm. I soldered on an LED too.

I have a bunch of radios and the car doesn’t have a very open system. I think I’m going to just add another radio system to control the servo. Not ideal, but it might work.

The car is a hobby king thing “Rocksta Basher” if you’re curious. It’s small, but it has a big gear ratio on the drive train, so it will be slow but strong.

Off to the HW store looking for some spray that I can attach a servo to.

IMG_20190810_144805

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Hmm. I wonder if a little trailer would work better…

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by  Jeffeb3.

Nathan
    Participant

made me think of this..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pfd4zWY_ETw

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yeah, except hacky, and the spray won’t be to scale.

Nathan
    Participant

This might work for what you want

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644596

Jeffeb3
    Participant

This might work for what you want

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:644596

Oh, that’s nice looking. I am glad that little servo has enough juice. I think I am basically going to do something similar, mount the servo and the 3D printed parts to the can and zip tie the can to the car.

I also saw this, which looks about right too:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:440980

I could even attach the servo via string and just change the size of the servo arm if it wasn’t working right.

I guess I need to get to printing.

David Walling
    Participant

I’m more of the ‘explosives’ type… I’d just use the RC car to drag the can until it’s under the wasps nest. Then I’d lay on the ground and shoot the can with my pellet gun. Small boom later and everything should be gone.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Bill
    Participant

I just have to keep watching… Maybe we could get it made into a movie? I’d mount the can next to the cam such that the spray will go in the same direction the can will spray. Move until you are directly below the nest, the nest will center nicely in the display, and squirt. You may need to bring it back and clean the cam lens to see how well it worked.

David Walling
    Participant

You could just 3d print a nozzle extension and run it between the boards on the deck.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I don’t have a go pro or anything. I can record the NTSC after it’s been transmitted to my FPV monitor, so I’ll have that.

I was thinking it would make sense to have the can go along the length of the vehicle for mounting purposes (longitudinally) and it’s a tiny camera, so yeah, I want to point it about the same direction as the spray. Not directly under it though, because I don’t want a bunch of pesticide covered almost dead wasps on my stuff… So like a 45 degree angle.

The print Nathan pointed me to is almost perfect, but it doesn’t have room for the nozzle, so I either need to chop down the nozzle, or get some more CAD going.

IMG_20190811_103432

It’s looking more and more like this might actually work.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Jeffeb3.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Jeffeb3.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You could just 3d print a nozzle extension and run it between the boards on the deck.

I’m assuming that 1) That’s not nearly as fun and 2) The wasps aren’t that stupid and they are going to find me anyway.

I could really have dealt with this in about 5 minutes. But I would probably be stung at least once. I don’t actually have a good idea of how many wasps are in the hive ATM.

I could also wait until the first freeze, and just knock it down then.

All things I’ve thought about. But probably not as much as I’ve thought about having a teleoperated ground vehicle with a remote trigger on a can of wasp spray.

Dan Roesch
    Participant

I would like to do the same but I need to know:

Is ramps better than mini rambo and how do I get the dual endstop firmware to work? 🙂

I love this forum! The wasps may die of old age before the payload delivery system is perfected but engineering FTW!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I would like to do the same but I need to know:

Is ramps better than mini rambo and how do I get the dual endstop firmware to work? 🙂

I love this forum! The wasps may die of old age before the payload delivery system is perfected but engineering FTW!

I actually recommend the mini ramps or the micro rambo. Instead of dual endstops, you get -1 endstops per axis, which is just enough for killing wasps. I’m assuming you’ll also want a laser beam?

Wait… Why doesn’t this have a laser beam?

Dan Roesch
    Participant

Scope creep “Dun Dun” (Jaws music)

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m sad to say the wasps may have one. At least, I may have to remove them with my arms first instead of using a robot. 🙁

I actually had all the items together, and they were “working” but there were two major problems:

1) The car is too small for the 18 oz can. I predicted this, but I thought maybe since this car is a rock crawler, it’s crazy torque would be ok. And it is capable of pulling it and driving a little bit, but it tips over when I put it on the grass.

2) The actuation of the sprayer doesn’t push hard enough to actually spray. It’s not applying force directly at the nozzle, and I could fix that with more CAD, but I’ve got a lot going on, and the kids need to be able to play in the back yard.

So I’ll keep thinking about this, and I might try to fix problem 2. If I do, I can maybe use my older car (which is a 1/10th scale and more capable). But that will have a couple of new problems.

In the mean time, I think I am going to just spray the wasps (a couple of times, and remove the nest with a hockey stick) and when I think they are dead, I’m going to use my little rock crawler with a camera to look under the porch for more.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m sure you want pictures, right?

IMG_20190815_172634

IMG_20190815_172623

Barry
    Participant

Niels P. Andersen
    Participant

Have a look at this: https://www.recordere.dk/2018/08/saadan-kommer-du-af-med-hvepse/

It is in Danish, but have a look at the video.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Translated:

When Steen declares war on wasps, he goes all-in.
    The Sisters, though not a bunch of wasps, have decided to build a wasp in my gas meter cabinet … There must be space for all of us, and we lived in fine harmony.
    Until I was stabbed – And that means WAR!

But what do you do when you are a little stupid when it comes to wasps? Fortunately, I have a good imagination and a well-equipped workshop, so some evenings design and construction work have resulted in this fine machine:

Pic

I designed the robot on the chassis of a remote controlled car so I can drive all the way to the wasp nest. With remote control I can control the nozzle and trigger the poison syringe.

After all, it’s not fun if I can’t see what’s happening, so I’ve added a FPV (First Person View) system to the robot so that with my FPV goggles I can get the experience of being very close – Without being stabbed!

The first battle was fought and ended in a defeat for me. I had great fun and some wasps died, but the wasp nest is still active. The reason for this is that with the current machine I cannot spray directly into the wasp nest and have to settle for the ones that flew out.

The battle may be lost, but the war continues unabated. I’m just making some adjustments to the robot and then the next battle will come. Stay tuned!”

That is pretty cool. The pan tilt is pretty neat. The servo he used was much bigger to be able to pull the trigger. Having the can that angled is nice too. Damn, I so want to keep working on this. It’s just too hard to sacrifice summer. Thanks for sharing.

geodave
    Participant

Went is the quad copter version of your sprayer coming out?

That nest sounds like a Bald faced hornets nest.  I had a nest like that above my shed door last year & 2 of them stung me, so the next evening after dark when they were all comfortable in bed, I sprayed them.

David Walling
    Participant

I hope this works:

• This reply was modified 5 days, 2 hours ago by  David Walling.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Watching that gave me goose bumps….Dude regrets that for sure.

Sean
    Participant

Ive been away a while, came back and this was the top post. Now im over here like. Also not sure what happened to my last post. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I didn’t work on it this weekend. We went camping. I think the wasps have read these posts because they were out in full force at the camp site (which is at 9000ft. Altitude, c’mon wasps!). There were enough of then that 4 of them killed themselves while trying to eat food that was being cooked.

My daughter, who is 1.5yo had one land on her face. She was a little snotty and she smashed that guy rught into her nose. Got a sting. She was fine right after that, and didn’t seem as upset as her parents about it.

Today I dug through my parts and pulled out my good ol’ traxxis rustler. Connected it up with a new radio and it seems to be working fine. I guess I just have to figure out how to fit a better servo or better lever arm on the spray and we’re back in the competition.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.