Vetric Advice – Post Processor Not Working

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Vetric Advice – Post Processor Not Working

This topic contains 36 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Cameron L. 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Keith Brown
    Participant

What is the suggested workflow for working with VCarve? I downloaded the Marlin_pp test5, and the Marlin_pp test 4

I cant seem to get anything working. Previous to this I have been working in Fusion 360 with success, But thought I would try an inlay – Dosen’t seem to be working with Vcarve.

Each attept kept getting worse:

My first attempt was running the gcode from the SD. My second attempt was running the same gcode from repitier host after convering the vcarve tool path to mm.

My third attempt was the same as the second and my 4 was the same as the third…

Not sure what I need to do to get this working; any help would be appreciated – Let me know if you need to know any other information.

(Seems the bit goes deeper the further right it goes…. its odd.)

Jamie
    Participant

I haven’t used Vcarve but I have had some success with F-Engrave.  I really can’t compare the two but F-Engrave is pretty self explanatory and a couple YouTube videos was enough for me to be successful.

Aaron
    Participant

Can you post a picture/screenshot of your toolpath settings for the inlays?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I had all kinds of issues. At one point I  was carving air,lol.  PP test 5 works. Vectric settings may need adjustment.  I started from scratch and reinstalled Aspire 9. Cleared the entire file using CCleaner to delete any registration information. Fresh copy and then reinstalled TEST 5 and it works great. No issues. Make sure you have your sign in stuff or you’ll pay hell to get your software working. And, I can’t find my discs with the patterns either so I’m still screwed. What I wouldn’t give for those… Anyways, try resetting to original factory settings. It worked for me.

Keith Brown
    Participant

I had all kinds of issues. At one point I was carving air,lol. PP test 5 works. Vectric settings may need adjustment. I started from scratch and reinstalled Aspire 9. Cleared the entire file using CCleaner to delete any registration information. Fresh copy and then reinstalled TEST 5 and it works great. No issues. Make sure you have your sign in stuff or you’ll pay hell to get your software working. And, I can’t find my discs with the patterns either so I’m still screwed. What I wouldn’t give for those… Anyways, try resetting to original factory settings. It worked for me.

I just downloaded the software about 3 days ago and installed test 5 yesterday morning – do you think I should redo everything?

Keith Brown
    Participant

I haven’t used Vcarve but I have had some success with F-Engrave. I really can’t compare the two but F-Engrave is pretty self explanatory and a couple YouTube videos was enough for me to be successful.

Congrats! Looks awesome! Unfortunately now that I paid money for VCarve I’m determined to get it working 🙂

Keith Brown
    Participant

Do you think it could be that I changed the units in the file but still had a imperial bit selected. If I now select a metric bit would it make a difference?

Grasping at straws here – everything looks correct 🙁

Keith Brown
    Participant

here are my settings (trying again)

Aaron
    Participant

Do you think it could be that I changed the units in the file but still had a imperial bit selected. If I now select a metric bit would it make a difference?

Grasping at straws here – everything looks correct 🙁

Everything looks correct but I don’t see a screen grab of your toolpath settings and material setup. I used my mpcnc with aspire for most of last year and made all that money back in the first month. It works,  but we need more information.

Aaron
    Participant

Lol, okay I see it now, let me take a look. Also, how are you setting the bit height, just manually moving the z axis? Or driving it there?

Aaron
    Participant

Your plunge rate is really fast. Might be skipping steps coming up or going back down. Feedrate is also too fast for these machines.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Aaron.

Keith Brown
    Participant

Your plunge rate is really fast. Might be skipping steps coming up or going back down.

What are the recommended settings? I just got everything together so these are my first couple of projects.

Keith Brown
    Participant

Lol, okay I see it now, let me take a look. Also, how are you setting the bit height, just manually moving the z axis? Or driving it there?

i have the machine off when setting the z by hand and then i turn the machine on – also using the lcd screen

Keith Brown
    Participant

Aaron
    Participant

Your plunge rate is really fast. Might be skipping steps coming up or going back down.

What are the recommended settings? I just got everything together so these are my first couple of projects.

The same feedrates you used in fusion 360 should work.

For a V bit on the mpcnc, I varied from 15-20 mm/s (35-40 ipm)  and 3-5 mm/s (8-11 ipm)

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Aaron.

Keith Brown
    Participant

I think thats what I have set in vcarve…do you know which setting is fast – dont know why im not seeing it

Aaron
    Participant

Your screen grab for the V bit shows 100 ipm feed rate and 30 ipm plunge, those are the default, unchanged feedrates. You can change it to mm/s.

Aaron
    Participant

I’ve highlighted where you need to change.

Keith Brown
    Participant

I’ve highlighted where you need to change.

These are my new settings:

Attachments:

Keith Brown
    Participant

The z axis is getting deeper and deeper still:

Attachments:

Aaron
    Participant

Does it plunge straight to that depth? Or does it go down progressively? When you move the z axis up or down by say, 5mm, does it move the actual 5mm? Or more?

Tim
    Participant

I don’t think this is a gcode problem. But can you go ahead and post the gcode?

I think you need  to take a step back. Run some code generated by Fusion 360. I would be looking at loose couplers, stepper motor connections loose, etc. Since you haven’t had the machine running for long it’s quite possible something just worked loose, especially since you said it seems to get worse each attempt. Do you have miniRambo, rambo?

Keith Brown
    Participant

My z was loosing steps because my acme screw and nut were bent and too tight i swapped it for a piece of scrap that was straight and got a good carve out! Yay! I know what im ordering today…

2 users thanked author for this post.

Keith Brown
    Participant

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP. YOU’RE THE BEST!!

2 users thanked author for this post.

Tim
    Participant

Nice!

Mike Atencio
    Participant

It’s always some little thing that screws us up. I had my connectors backward, you had the bent piece. Apparently, Mr. Murphy is having a very good time messing with us.

Keith Brown
    Participant

I got a new acme threaded rod and nut. Does anyone use this (i got 2):

Anti Backlash Spring Loaded Nut Elimination Gap Nut for 8mm Acme Threaded Rod

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61OTxSh%2BJZL._SL1155_.jpg

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I don’t. That’s for the all-thread bolt? Cool. That would take up that small amount of slack in there. Where’d you get it?

Mike

Keith Brown
    Participant

I don’t. That’s for the all-thread bolt? Cool. That would take up that small amount of slack in there. Where’d you get it?

Mike

I got it from amazon. Its for an acme thread rod:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GL3NJV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barry
    Participant

We had a loooooot of issues in the beginning with anti-backlash nuts.  Don’t really need them since there’s so much weight hanging on the z.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.