Valentine's Day Present for my wife

New Home Forum Things You Have Made Valentine's Day Present for my wife

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mike @Pix2Proto 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

TomW
    Participant

Made this box out of 8/4 cherry scraps from cutting boards I make. It was a very simple design in Inkscape, 3 concentric elipses. Then ESTLCAM and hours to pocket out the bottom and top of the box, then part out both. A 1/4″ lip on the top keeps the top aligned to the bottom. I will be adding felt inside the bottom and inside the top of the box and will add multiple coats of poly to finish it off.

6 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Nice!

1 user thanked author for this post.

BT
    Participant

Two sided milling.  That’s some advanced stuff!  Nicely done!

mulze32
    Participant

Two sided milling. That’s some advanced stuff! Nicely done!

I agree! How did you do the two side part milling? Lately I have milled holes into my spoil board and then used dowels to locate.

TomW
    Participant

I have to concentric elipses to work with (actually there are three, but the third elipse is for the for top).

estlcam-box-1

In ESTLCAM I used hole and then pocket to cut out the inside elipse. I then parted out the outside elipse. I used a 1/4″ two flute end mill for both cuts.

estlcam-box-2

estlcam-box-3

The most critical piece is making sure I had an end mill long enough for my cut, which was 1 1/2″ deep with a floor that is 1/2″ and walls that are 1/4″. That and tons of time to monitor the 3 hour cut. Obviously, you could make a more shallow box.

For the top, use all three rings….

estlcam-box-4

If you look closely between the hole and the part cuts, you can see the lip that fits into the bottom of the box.

estlcam-box-5

I said it in a post on my build, but I did the box bottom, then the top and various other cuts for 10 hours yesterday and this machine just keeps on going….. it’s a tank. I love it! I just did a Hylian Shield and am now doing a Punisher plaque…. too much fun. I think I’m obsessed….. is the a support group for too much MPCNC? Might have to sign me up.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  TomW.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  TomW.

Mike @Pix2Proto
    Participant

It looks fantastic even before finishing – great work!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.