v1pi: Raspberry Pi Image with Octoprint and CNC.js (and wifi hotspot)

New Home Forum Software / Firmware Development v1pi: Raspberry Pi Image with Octoprint and CNC.js (and wifi hotspot)

This topic contains 160 replies, has 39 voices, and was last updated by  John 1 month ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 161 total)
  • Author

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So I took the work of octopi, and built on top of that an image that:

1) Has everything from octopi, except maybe a tad out of date, since I don’t build it nightly
    2) Adds in a landing page, which directs you to one of the two (currently) services on the pi:
    v1pi
    3) Adds in auto wifi hotspot, which will try to connect to a home wifi, and if it fails, it will host it’s own. (I have one version without it because I found it annoying if I didn’t want it).
    4) Pre installs and runs CNC.js.

So if you want to try it, it’s here: https://github.com/jeffeb3/v1pi

I begged Ryan to use his logos. I begged some other forum users here to try it, and they were nice enough to give it a go (Thanks, all of you). It’s had some hiccups, but generally about right for this forum. Just needs a little work, and it’s very useful.

I have made everything open source, and if anyone wants to contribute, please do. I appreciate feedback, and just remember that I don’t charge for any of this, so be patient with me please :P.

For CNC.js, I have an open issue related to the startup sequence having too short of a timeout:
    https://github.com/cncjs/cncjs/issues/312

Let me know if you try it. It was fun to make, and I learned a lot about the pi images. I am looking forward to making my other pi images from scripts.

Attachments:
    15 users thanked author for this post.

geodave
    Participant

I have been using this for over a month now.  The only problem I had was with the hotspot, so I have the hotspot turned off, but can easily re-enable it if I need it.  I also have 2 octoprint services running so I can run 2 separate printers at the same time with one raspberry pi.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

Yea, I turned the hotspot off, and just connect it to my home wifi, which amazingly enough connects in the barn!

Geoffrey
    Participant

Well, now I have to finish wiring my dual endstops AND flash a pi image this weekend… 😀

David Walling
    Participant

Can you put a link to the documentation in the Readme ?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Can you put a link to the documentation in the Readme ?

You got me! I was like, “it’s right freakin’ there DAVE!”, and then I saw my snarky second link…

Ryan
    Keymaster

So, uhhh, wanna give this thing a real try? Frontpage, and all the social media for V1, or would you rather start slow and see how this goes?

I kinda figure if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So, uhhh, wanna give this thing a real try? Frontpage, and all the social media for V1

Let’s do it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Let’s do it.

It’s in writing and backed up in a quote….

Thanks for doing this, I think this will allow a lot of people to dip a toe in the pool and see what all the fuss is about. Thank you to the rest of you that helped test it. So cool.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Thanks. I’ll take over all the support. It can’t be that tough.

Thanks for agreeing to do that, Ryan.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

HAHAHAHHAHAHJ ohhhhh nooooooo

Marc Kelly
    Participant

Thanks for this.

DLd, setup wifi via .txt file, connected fine. Was up and printing in 5 mins.

Wasn’t visible at v1pi.local, but was available at its IP address. Dunno why the DNS stuff didn’t work, but it doesn’t work sometimes with some other services I have running on my home server. Must be the router.

Works fine.

Attachments:

Bryan
    Participant

Flashed the image and plugged it into a Raspberry Pi Zero W. Everything appears to be working, the CNC.js server is running. However, I ssh’d into the pi to check the processing load with the command ‘top’ and the node server is nearly maxing out the CPU and mostly above 50% on ram.

Have you/anyone tested CNC.js on a PiZero? I haven’t plugged it into the Arduino yet, will try that tomorrow. Would love if this works, I feel like the Pi3 that I have on my MPCNC is a bit of overkill for just running CNC.js, but maybe it’s what it needs.

Thanks for putting this together, its a nice image!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’ve been running on a zero W. It’s definitely quicker on a pi 3 B, but I did a lot of prints just fine.

dkj4linux
    Participant

Have the v1pi image running on a Pi Zero W and can control my MPCNC with both Octoprint and CNC.js. Everything seems to work with the exception of the webcam on CNC.js… works fine with Octoprint. Timelapse of Ryan’s LogoMPCNC from Octoprint…

3 users thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

If you’re actually using cura in octopi, a pi 3 is pretty much mandatory, put the zero will run a printer, or cnc just fine.  I’ve been printing with a zero for about as long as they’ve been available.  I still haven’t done any real cuts with cnc.js on the pi yet, but I did try it out and got it moving on one of the new 3+ boards.

David Walling
    Participant

I’ll have to give this a try. I’m starting to get tired of copying the gcode to the SD card and going in/out of the house when I screw stuff up.

Barry
    Participant

I’ll have to give this a try. I’m starting to get tired of copying the gcode to the SD card and going in/out of the house when I screw stuff up.

I have microsoft onedrive set up as my gcode/stl folders.  Anything I dump into those folders, shows up automagically on the laptop I have set up in the barn to run my routers.  First 5gb is free.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

It you have a laptop near the machine, that solves a lot of the same problems. You could use Dropbox on the pi to do something similar, I think. But if you’ve got the pi, it’s not too much work to some it over with the webpage or just ssh.

I keep doing almost exactly the same thing when I print and that just gets me thinking. I do want to try using slic3r on octoprint and I also want to have something load up the last thing that was sliced. Then I want to make a little widget that can preheat, pause, print and show stats from octoprint. Add it to the list…

Bryan
    Participant

I’ve been trying to change the hostname of the Pi so I can run two different Pi’s (one for the MPCNC and one for the LowRider).

I thought I successfully changed the hostname via /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname, because I do get the new hostname after reboots with the ‘hostname’ command, and it’s shown with [email protected](new_hostname) on the command line. However, everything still points to the v1pi.local in my router connection and v1pi.local still works. Is there anything special you did outside of these to set the hostname?

Also, navigating to v1pi.local works, but pinging the same address yields “Ping request could not find host v1pi.local.” I am running a Pi-Hole DNS sever, so that may be messing some things up with the Bonjour tool.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m not 100% sure with avahi/bonjour. It seems to cache in several places. I would have changed it via hosts and hostname.

David Walling
    Participant

I have microsoft onedrive set up as my gcode/stl folders. Anything I dump into those folders, shows up automagically on the laptop I have set up in the barn to run my routers. First 5gb is free.

My laptop is too nice to take to the garage. I did that a few times and the amount of dust that gets all over it pissed me off.

I typically setup the laptop on the deep freeze that’s in the laundry room right by the door to the garage. This seems to be an ok solution.

Barry
    Participant

I just hit the laptop with the exhaust of my shop vac when it gets too dusty.  This one lives in the barn, so it’s going to get dirty.

Jason Dentler
    Participant

I do want to try using slic3r on octoprint and I also want to have something load up the last thing that was sliced. Then I want to make a little widget that can preheat, pause, print and show stats from octoprint. Add it to the list…

Best of luck to you. I spent two days trying to compile slic3r on a pi 3 b+… I admitted defeat and rationalized it by telling myself I’d have to rotate most of the models to be flat on the bed anyway.

Jeffeb3
    Participant
    I do want to try using slic3r on octoprint and I also want to have something load up the last thing that was sliced. Then I want to make a little widget that can preheat, pause, print and show stats from octoprint. Add it to the list…

Best of luck to you. I spent two days trying to compile slic3r on a pi 3 b+… I admitted defeat and rationalized it by telling myself I’d have to rotate most of the models to be flat on the bed anyway.

It’s not that easy… I have been trying to do it inside of my custompios script, which starts fresh every time, so each time I get farther, I add more time to my testing time 🙂 . I am going to try it straight on the pi. I went to a jessie image, and I got past the apt errors, but the perl Build.PL script is failing on some “threads” library, and of course, all googling leads me to 1000x errors on any number of libraries that include the words “threads” and “perl”… Grumble Grumble…

Mark de Reeper
    Participant

I am already using octopi with my 3D printer and it is great for the workflow, send models to print from Cura and then use a great app on my smart phone (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kabacon.octoremote) to actually kick off the print  and watch that it starts OK (printer is in the garage).

Being still in the process of building a my MPCNC, just wondering what the workflow is with this combination of octoprint and cncjs?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Be prepared for things to not be as automated. CAM is more detailed than slicing. You’ll do this on your computer, amd if you’ve got the server running, you can upload the gcode to the machine.

When you get to the garage, there will be set up. You’ll set the workpiece, move the machine to the origin, zero out the machine, square up the machine, raise the bit up and power up the router. Then you can hit play on the server.

Doing the zeroing of the machine, or jogging the head around can be done on an LCD or on the server. Playing the gcode can be done on the server, or from the LCD is you put the gcode on the sd card.

I specifically called it a server because either one will do all of that. Octoprint is more mature for Marlin, but cnc.js is tailored better for cnc work. The preview on cnc.js works, for example. But the work offsets only work with grbl firmware.

Also. Also. Also. CNC machines are much less predictable and you shouldn’t ever leave it alone. The bit can pick up the work, creat a bunch of friction, and start the huge work area on fire. It’s not hard to stop if you’re standing there.

Mark de Reeper
    Participant

Thanks for that, yes expecting another big learning curve when it comes to the CNC workflow. Understand that it is not something that can be left alone, lots of short runs in the beginning I expect.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m guessing that app isn’t going to work with v1pi ATM. It looks like it’s trying to find /sockjs/ and that’s not forwarded to octoprint. I’ll have to add that and rebuild the image. Thanks for the pointer.

Barry
    Participant

Okay, setting up a second one, forgot how to disable the hotspot feature, which file do I edit??

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 161 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.