Unable to square gantry/x, y axis

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Unable to square gantry/x, y axis

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Gary 6 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Gary
    Participant

Hi,

I’m having trouble getting my gantry/x and y axis square.

The parts were purchased from Ryan, so no issues with the print.

Tension bolts A, B, and C are all loose (say nuts a couple of mm from the plastic pieces.)

In the pic is a cast iron milling square fixture (it is the squarest thing I own I use it regularly on my milling machine) gap i about 1.5mm and the milling square is 65mm long, so there seems to be a significant out of square condition.

I have tried tightening tension bolt B to no effect.

I have also tried various tensions on tension bolts A and C also to no effect.

I have assembled it and disassembled several times, but it always shows the same error in the same direction.

The conduit fits well, and is the correct size – 25.4mm. It moves smoothly through the bearings…

Help please…..please!!

TIA

Garysquare

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

A few more pictures would help, I can’t really check your build or see what is going on with that one.

The other suggestion is from the FAQ’s, use it for a bit, see if it “breaks in” some.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The only thing that could actually be assembled wrong is the Z axis. A twist, or just improper spacing is possible (hard to do but possible).

Gary
    Participant

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for replying.

checked the z axis – looks Ok.

Extra pics attached. Not able to figure out what is going on – the out of square is significant – if 1.5 mm at 65mm, then over 600mm (my build size) I’m looking at over half an inch 🙁

None of the tension screws seem to make any difference.

Don’t see how I could cut anything close to square….Let me know if the pics don’t show you what you need to see…

cheers

Gary

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Go through the instructions again. You can not check anything without all 6 rails in place, the 2.5″ do need some tension.

There are a ton of things you need to learn before you have to cut perfect exact squares. At least drawing a crown or five. What happens is some of the bolts move a bit (to a more correct position, some even get less tension) and things tend to work better after a little use. No idea why this happens for some people but it does.

A full build picture really helps, at least the complete center assembly, as I said it has to be complete before you can check or adjust anything.

Gary
    Participant

Thanks Ryan,

I won’t worry about it at this stage then. I had removed the z axis from the centre assembly for the pictures. Fully assembled the whole centre unit shows the error. Have taken it apart and put it back together multiple times …

Will complete the build of the whole device and check it out then. Was just trying to complete this stage as well as possible before proceeding.

cheers

Gary

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.