Too fast?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  matt thomas 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

matt thomas
    Participant

I’ve just got my Lowrider 2 up and running, and whilst its been fun, my results are less than great.

Amongst my many learning experiences, I’m sometimes getting results like this.

I”m guessing that I am pushing it too fast?

I’m on 7mm deep, and 12 mm/s. In pine ply.

I first made successful cuts at 10mm deep and 15 mm/s, but I guess that was just lucky then?

thanks

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Depending on the size of your build and End mill, yes, much too fast or deep or both. Start with the specs from the milling basics 5-12mm/s then evenly divide your DOC to fall in that range.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

The glue on some ply is especially nasty as well.

matt thomas
    Participant

Thanks. And yes, this is “pallet quality” ply so its likely to have nasty glue.

matt thomas
    Participant

Actually, follow up question.

I see you say “end mill”

The bits I bought (from here) that were called “end mill” have a red ring which seems to limit them to a max of 16mm. I’m trying to cut 18 mm ply.

https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/sharp-stuff/products/1-8-single-flute

I have been using this one

https://shop.v1engineering.com/collections/sharp-stuff/products/carbide-single-flute

Is this wrong?

I did use a straight one for a bit, which got great results, but then I accidentally ran over a clamp and broke it..

Thanks

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’ve pulled that ring off before with some pliers. Just beware that when it gets very deep, it’s not good at getting the chips out.

matt thomas
    Participant

I’ll do that now! 🙂

matt thomas
    Participant

Just did a 5mm deep 5mm/s pass, with end mill, with red ring removed.

Much better, but still not perfectly aligned in subsequent passes (makes a slightly wider groove, rather than running straight down the new one).

I’ll try it at 4mm deep.

There was a bit of black too, that I’m not sure if it is burning, or the ply, which seems to have some black parts in it.

matt thomas
    Participant

FIRE IN THE HOLE!

Ok, it was definitely burning. I just had to cancel a cut because it was starting to spark and glow under the bit. I must remember to go and get the fire extinguisher from the sleep out for next time.

Hmmm. I would think this is because it is moving to slowly. But if I move to fast, then I’m getting mis alignment.

I’m thinking perhaps do a shallower, yet faster mm/s cut.

matt thomas
    Participant

So shallower and faster worked better. Or at least it didn’t burn, but after a while it went crooked again. And since I’m trying to go through 20mm 2.5mm at a time, it needs to get it exactly right for a long time.

I’m running out of plywood. Although I’m guessing it is the cheap quality of the plywood that is at fault, because I can’t see any other reason it veers off when it does.

Pity I need something finished that I promised prematurely, and its the best part of a days travel to a plywood store.

My next plan is to just do a shallow run on top of the ply to get the shape, then cut it out old school, with a jig saw. Buggar.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just did a 5mm deep 5mm/s pass, with end mill, with red ring removed.

Much better, but still not perfectly aligned in subsequent passes (makes a slightly wider groove, rather than running straight down the new one).

I think something is wrong. 5/5 should be pretty easy for the LR. Can you post some photos of your build?

Greg
    Participant

I had the same issues with my low rider before I tensioned the X belt and routed some grooves for the wheels to run in to ensure all the passes line up exactly.

You can take the router out of the equation. Attach a pen and draw the same large shape over and over you will see if every pass is lining up

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You can take the router out of the equation. Attach a pen and draw the same large shape over and over you will see if every pass is lining up

Cutting in the purple foam is a good test too.

matt thomas
    Participant

I just have this photo at the moment. Illl take some more later.

this is the third pass at 2.5mm and 10mm/s

you can see the top is fine, then it goes bung.

edit: it looks like perhaps something has slipped on one of the y motors. I should check them.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Make sure your hose and cords are not catching, and your pulleys are tight.

matt thomas
    Participant

Ah, I went over it with a fine tooth comb and found that I had not tightened the pulleys.

It is working MUCH better now, with still a little misalignment at times.

I did find another issue with the power cord which I’ll put on another thread.

thanks

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.