This Weekend's Goal!

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic This Weekend's Goal!

This topic contains 44 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Tom 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Bill
    Participant

My goal last weekend was to create access to the attic space on the south end of the house. I had a pull down ladder setup I found at Vinnie’s for $10 a few months back and no existing access. I also make smoked hot dogs for lunch while three of us worked on the project (90 minutes to make hot dogs, but they sure were good!). It was just past dinner time when we finished and there were more surprises than expected. It turns out that under the sheetrock on the ceiling was ship lap boards, so finding the ‘studs’ by moving a magnet around actually found where the sheetrock was nailed to the ship lap, not where the ship lap was nailed to the joists. Also, someone stored a bunch of stuff up there in the early 30s and it’s been pretty much untouched since. There was most of a library of books, some really interesting (1919 edition of vols 1 & 5 of Automobile Engineering), some less so (Fourth Grade Reader from 1924). We also found a pool table and some boxes that toys came in. Unfortunately not the toys themselves and the pool table was sans balls and sticks.

Books, we have books!

Bill
    Participant

My goal last weekend was to create access to the attic space on the south end of the house. I had a pull down ladder setup I found at Vinnie’s for $10 a few months back and no existing access. I also make smoked hot dogs for lunch while three of us worked on the project (90 minutes to make hot dogs, but they sure were good!). It was just past dinner time when we finished and there were more surprises than expected. It turns out that under the sheetrock on the ceiling was ship lap boards, so finding the ‘studs’ by moving a magnet around actually found where the sheetrock was nailed to the ship lap, not where the ship lap was nailed to the joists. Also, someone stored a bunch of stuff up there in the early 30s and it’s been pretty much untouched since. There was most of a library of books, some really interesting (1919 edition of vols 1 & 5 of Automobile Engineering), some less so (Fourth Grade Reader from 1924). We also found a pool table and some boxes that toys came in. Unfortunately not the toys themselves and the pool table was sans balls and sticks.

Books, we have books!
    Dang, where did I put the balls?

Ryan
    Keymaster

A treasure of finds like that would have surely distracted me the rest of the day.

Tom
    Participant

Bill,

Any interest in renting out the Automobile Engineering Books? I could have them back in a week or so. Media mail is cheap. There is a lot of old knowledge in those books. Common sense knowledge, that’s not real common anymore.

Tom

Kelly D
    Participant

Well, in an unexpected turn of events (boredom last night) I started the MOCO project and with the help of the V1 gang….it’s done! One more off the list.

Bill
    Participant

Tom, here is a set on eBay, about $30 shipped…

Tom
    Participant

Bill,

Thanks, there headed to my house. Older is better on books like this.

I might also recommend:

Ingenious Mechanisms for Designers and Inventors, Camshafts, crankshafts, pitman arms, bell cranks

Henley’s Formulas, Processes and Trade Secrets, There are cough medicine formulas in the 1900’s that all start with opium, you don’t feel any better, you just don’t care.

Machinist’s Handbook– I have a 1943 edition, with metal coloring section, and a spring chart that gives what size mandrel and what size piano wire to make what size spring. I made a mandrel for a spring belt. The end of the spring tapers down so it will screw into the other end, making a belt in a fan like this.gyrofan1_org_l

Most newer versions are available online now.

Attachments:

Kelly D
    Participant

I had to come back here to check what I was “supposed to” be trying to accomplish. The carving season is full on again here and it appears many of my weekends are going to the chainsaws rather than the list! Not complaining – just staying accountable here ; )

Here’s last Saturday’s “my arms might fall off” marathon sprint (I only had the one day to pull this off for the guy and his budget). The trio of trees is actually where the kids’ treehouse lives – he just removed it to save it from stray chainsaw chains. I’ll be back there in a few days to get a photo of it with the treehouse all back in place.

IMG_7129
    IMG_7130
    IMG_1842

1 user thanked author for this post.

Leon
    Participant

That is really cool!!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Great, not I need a tree house.

Kelly D
    Participant

Great, not I need a tree house.

I seem to recall a picture of your world somewhere here that showed a lot of trees…..

Tom
    Participant

Tree house? Stump House – 8′ x 16′ platform. Door and windows are in now.

Don’t know how the grandkids got spoiled too.

IMG_0369

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.

Kelly D
    Participant

Google Daniels’ Woodland. And leave your credit card in your pocket. His tree houses come with a tree!

kd2018
    Participant

The trio of trees is actually where the kids’ treehouse lives

lol.. way to make the rest of us dads look bad

Tom
    Participant

This was a Grampa project. The tree had to go, had a good use-able stump.

And who could say no, to these two faces?

IMG_1624

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.