This might get profitable?

New Home Forum Things You Have Made This might get profitable?

This topic contains 34 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Josh 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Josh
    Participant

The start of a few projects

2 users thanked author for this post.

Josh
    Participant

A quick iris for my daughter’s 4-H photography demonstration

1 user thanked author for this post.

Josh
    Participant

Cutting boards are always popular

2 users thanked author for this post.

Neil
    Participant

That cutting board is a thing of beauty!! Nice work man!! I have always wanted to attempt an inlay, you have inspired me! What size of a bit have you used?

Neil

Josh
    Participant

1/32 to cut the outline, 1/16 to get into the tight areas and 3/8 to clean out the rest.

Bill
    Participant

Dang, my wife is Montanan…

Josh
    Participant

I’m sure that she is bummed that she missed this winter.  If she comes up by the weekend she can still enjoy it!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Those are some nice projects! I have to figure out what the heck is wrong with the gallery (extra slow loading) so I can add these. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Cap
    Participant

Well done on the inlay, very impressed.

When able please add a couple details on how you did it.  Probably something as easy as a part/hole combo but wanted to check.  I want to do an inlay and yours appears to fit very snugly – good work.

Have a good one

Josh
    Participant

The walnut was cut as a part outside the line with 1/32 bit .4 mm per pass at 10mm/s 7mm deep on a 8mm board.  Instead of holding tabs I left 1mm on the back and used a planer to get the holding material so I could see light through it then trimmed it out.  The maple was a hole cut with 1/32 bit inside the line then a 1/16 bit at 12mm/s  ran an offset line inside then stepped up to 1/8 at 24mm/s.  The fit was so tight I couldn’t dry fit it and had to use a board to press it in so I didn’t break anything.

David Walling
    Participant

Well done on the inlay, very impressed.

When able please add a couple details on how you did it. Probably something as easy as a part/hole combo but wanted to check. I want to do an inlay and yours appears to fit very snugly – good work.

Have a good one

I watched a youtube video where the guy used a V bit to do the inlay. The pocket was cut with a straight bit, and then he ran a v-bit around the perimeter. The inlay was cut upside down with the v-bit with a really small offset so it was slightly bigger than the pocket. The inlay was thicker than the depth of the hole it was going into so it stood proud after being glued in. Then he ran the final piece through a planar to smooth the top.

I haven’t tried this myself. My list of projects is greater than my time in shop right now.

mulze32
    Participant

The walnut was cut as a part outside the line with 1/32 bit .4 mm per pass at 10mm/s 7mm deep on a 8mm board. Instead of holding tabs I left 1mm on the back and used a planer to get the holding material so I could see light through it then trimmed it out. The maple was a hole cut with 1/32 bit inside the line then a 1/16 bit at 12mm/s ran an offset line inside then stepped up to 1/8 at 24mm/s. The fit was so tight I couldn’t dry fit it and had to use a board to press it in so I didn’t break anything.

For the maple did you take several strips, glue them together and then mill the shape of the state?

Josh
    Participant

“For the maple did you take several strips, glue them together and then mill the shape of the state?”

Josh
    Participant

A cutting board for a friend with his cattle brand inlaid.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

A cutting board for a friend with his cattle brand inlaid.

Tin roof ranch? Just guessing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Wow that looks perfect, high five for that one!

Bill
    Participant

Let me guess, his ranch is in Montana? 🙂

Josh
    Participant

Some days it’s just expensive fire wood.

Geoffrey
    Participant

Hey Josh!

Where in Montana are you?

The law firm I work for is based in Billings but we’ve infested the whole state and a few neighboring states like ND where I am and as far south as Cheyenne.  A smaller MT with ND and WY included with stars for our locations would probably sell to our attorneys.

Josh
    Participant

I’m in Havre it’s central but about 40 miles from the Canadian border.  I have thought about some promotional stuff but between pain and my two year old I’m not nearly as productive as I would like to be.  My next project is probably a filet board with a local lake inlaid.

Geoffrey
    Participant

I see, I haven’t made it that far inland up North.  I’ve been to Plentywood when I was doing POS repair.

This firm likes to spend money, so if you were making a neat product that the lawyers like, they’d probably compensate you handsomely.  Did you hear of the Robert Back case at all?

Josh
    Participant

I spent some time in Plentywood with the Telco working on fiber to the home.  Not familiar with the Robert Beck case.  What cities and dimensions?  Brass or copper inlay would be cool, it just doesn’t work well on cutting boards.

Josh
    Participant

I just looked it up and do remember seeing it in the news.  I played sports from second grade through the Marine Corps and am rapidly turning against them.  Our school system just bought two new diesel pushers for the sports teams but can’t afford school field trips anymore.  At the end of the day the only thing most people remember is the arthritis and joint damage.

Geoffrey
    Participant

Well, Robert Back’s parents sued the healthcare system, saying the trainer cleared him to play… it’s a crazy sad story, but my firm defended the healthcare system.

Anyway, we’re in Billings, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, Kalispell, and Missoula, Montana; Bismarck and Williston, North Dakota; and Casper, Cheyenne, and Sheridan, Wyoming.

I’m liking this idea more and more… I may have to make it my first “real” project.

Josh
    Participant

This project has been a lesson in keeping my mouth shut! Outside dimensions are 9’x9′.  It is a legacy wall for our new 4H Chuckwagon building.  196 tiles are being sold for $1000 each.  I volunteered to cut the tiles and somehow wound up with the whole project.

Josh
    Participant

The toughest cut

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh man, 196 tiles…That is a project. Looks amazing so far.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Man, $84k so far for 84 tiles (so far). I need one of those in my shop. Do you have the phone numbers of those businesses handy?

Josh
    Participant

Its probably closer to $250k there is one on there for $100k and a couple for $25k there are probably only a dozen or two that only donated $1,000.  They wont say how much is actually invested in the building but im sure it is close to $700,000(the kitchen was over $100k itself)

Josh
    Participant

Maple and purple heart

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.