Thinking of motor driven wheels. Any input or thoughts?

New Home Forum LowRider Hardware Development – LowRider Thinking of motor driven wheels. Any input or thoughts?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bill 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Joshua
    Participant

Was thinking about switching from the MPCNC to the LowRider. I have a table already that is 5′-10′ that would be awesome for full sheet cutting. I use that table for various other glue up and assembly though as well.

Has anyone put anytime into thinking about gearing the wheel shaft and having the LowRider motors drive the wheels on the bed, instead of using g2 belts to pull the gantry? Any thoughts on the downsides or possible issues?

The big advantage would be the ability to have a self contained CNC gantry that could be removed from table when not in use, without having to worry about undoing the belts when you take it off, and having to put them back together when you want to put it back. This would also allow you to easily slide the width if you wanted to use it on another table instead?

I did a search for belt driven wheels to see if anyone else has talked about it but didn’t see anything related to this idea.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Joshua.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I haven’t seen that mentioned before. The trouble (I would guess) is that there would be too much error in wheels. You can be pretty sure if you’re 0.31mm past the 257th tooth on the belt, that you know where you are in X. I don’t think the wheels could come close in terms of accuracy.

Some quick release type of belt connector would be a good start. Or even just some kind of protector over the belts so you could use the surface without removing them.

Joshua
    Participant

Yeah, I can see that issue. I was thinking it would still be “belt” driven actually, but the belt would just be between the motor and a gear fixed to wheel shaft. I can see now that if it was to have a hiccup, like a crash that would normally cause a skip in the motor on the long belts, the wheel would probably  just keep going and end up making the gantry out of square. Hummmm… going to keep thinking, also about that idea for quick disconnect belts.

Thanks for your thoughts 😀

Bill
    Participant

Perhaps look more into locking the mechanism out of the way and leave the belts in place while the rest of the table is in it’s flex time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.