The Carver's MP3DP

This topic contains 242 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 243 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry I was knee deep in trying to learn some firmware stuff.

I just checked I have all of mine running with those current settings and the extrudes are warm/hot but not too bad.

So this is crazy how many tiny things this could be. I have not realized how much we have collectively learned and take for granted.

I am going to offer the three I think. Drive gear clogged with filament from all the early slipping from the 8X over extruding and all the early clicking(check the brass gear to see if it is loaded with shaved filament), Dui’s suggestion of the tension pulley on backwards and not actually rolling (one way has an offset and if it is on wrong it won’t roll), third could be I see the throat nut on the outside of the extruder I have all mine on the inside (this really helps with heat dissipation in the all metal design on the outside it can transfer heat and make the PLA sticky and hard to push).

I swear I fixed this page….This isn’t the best way anymore..https://www.v1engineering.com/import-extruder/

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang I know I have pictures of the better way somewhere, I can’t find them. I will try to update that first thing in the morning.

Kelly D
    Participant

Here we go. Clean as a whistle under there. Interestingly a 50mm extrude falls about 304mm short. I SWEAR the 100mm test I did for Jeffeb3 a few days ago was spot on 100mm……

IMG_6101
    Pull the bearing off (at which point the little spring reminded me of the physics of springs) and it’s all smooth rolling and clean in the grooves too.

Reassembled and did another 50mm test which again fell 3-4mm short. (Enjoy the Fusion 360 webinar running in the background.)

https://youtu.be/XyhKaTzzqGU

It looks like there is some speed variation there – not sure if that’s supposed to do that?

Have not reflashed the firmware yet but I have changed the third number so they all read 750 now.

From the MK8 Info on V1:
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {200,200,4535.44,200}

My firmware is set to
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT   {100,100,400,100}

And then this bit confuses me:
    // Comment the following line to disable PID and enable bang-bang.
    #define PIDTEMP
    #define BANG_MAX 255 // limits current to nozzle while in bang-bang mode; 255=full current
    #define PID_MAX BANG_MAX // limits current to nozzle while PID is active (see PID_FUNCTIONAL_RANGE below); 255=full current
    #ifdef PIDTEMP

Does that mean I should comment out the first line there? Like….
    //#define PIDTEMP
    #define BANG_MAX 255 // limits current to nozzle while in bang-bang mode; 255=full current
    #define PID_MAX BANG_MAX // limits current to nozzle while PID is active (see PID_FUNCTIONAL_RANGE below); 255=full current
    #ifdef PIDTEMP

Attachments:

Kelly D
    Participant

Dui’s suggestion of the tension pulley on backwards and not actually rolling

Whuh oh….my physics lesson might have got me on this one. I better pop that off again and check!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Is your brass gear rubbing on the stepper case?

You work quick!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Does that mean I should comment out the first line there? Like….
    //#define PIDTEMP

No. You want pidtemp…

Ryan
    Keymaster

It looks shiny. It should not touch the case, or the heatsink. right in between.

Kelly D
    Participant

Is your brass gear rubbing on the stepper case?

You work quick!

I’m a professional crastinator (I can’t take credit for the term…) Doing things I should be doing – like modelling the tool mount for the MPCNC are easily put aside for tinkering with other stuff ; )

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Reassembled and did another 50mm test which again fell 3-4mm short

Your calibration is fine. But in the video (at about 20-25s) it stops. I’m assuming that’s not because of a pause on the lcd control, right?

Ryan
    Keymaster

At 16 seconds the grub screw hits the spring screw?

Kelly D
    Participant

I’m on it here guys! Keep it coming!

No – that’s not a pause at 25s. I must have been looking away – I missed that. The extruder is apart right now – I forgot to pull the filament so I’m heating up so I can pull it out. I’m going to pull the tension arm right off so I can triple check the tensioner bearing…can’t visually make out the offset – old eyeballs in my head.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Ok that’s an easy fix, I got It!

Your gear is not tight on the motor shaft, you can see it slip

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well, on a positive note, your nozzle is not clogged.

If you have it all the way apart, put the throat lock nut inside. Right now it is on top of the heat block locking to the gold aluminum, put it under the gear locking to the other side of the aluminum.

Kelly D
    Participant

Okay – all of you….where’s the “beer” button on this forum?

Kelly D
    Participant

Well, on a positive note, your nozzle is not clogged.

Isn’t the GREAT news?! Hahaha

If you have it all the way apart, put the throat lock nut inside. Right now it is on top of the heat block locking to the gold aluminum, put it under the gear locking to the other side of the aluminum.

Okay – but remind me next time the nozzle may be hot still……

Ryan
    Keymaster

IMG_20181101_210726

Shoot I don’t need a beer I feel like I let you down.

Kelly D
    Participant

Shoot I don’t need a beer I feel like I let you down.

Let me remind you about the guy that built this thing.

Although…if it does wind up that it was just a loose extruder gear I might ALSO know the guy that did that part ; )

/JK

Somewhere in this thread Jeffeb3 said “You’ll know more than someone who’s had an Ultimaker for a year” and that’s stuff money can’t really buy. I’m beside myself with all the support you all are giving me – surely you guys all have better things to do with your time and I appreciate it. I feel like you’ve all taken it upon yourselves as if it were your own machine and I know when we get a print factory rolling here you’ll ALL join me in a collective “Hell Yeah!”

Had to drop the extruder off the rails – it should be back together shortly

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well it must be a special day, we rarely get Dui in real time since he is on the other side of the planet.

The best part is you can see our personalities very clearly. I always think it is hardware, Heffe always thinks software, Dui isn’t scared to rebuild the entire things and change everything, Bill jumps in as the voice of reason once and a while…..the perfect combo.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Well it must be a special day, we rarely get Dui in real time since he is on the other side of the planet.

Yeah, I don’t know what time it is for you guys right now, but usually at this time I’m all alone on the forum. For me it’s about lunch time , now it’s 12:29.

The best part is you can see our personalities very clearly. I always think it is hardware, Heffe always thinks software, Dui isn’t scared to rebuild the entire things and change everything, Bill jumps in as the voice of reason once and a while…..the perfect combo.

Haha, so true XD

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Makes me think we could benefit from a live chat system. I think we talked about this somewhere on the forums, but peoples tiny questions get answered super fast. Downside is there is repeat questions. Other forums I go on use it with success, idunno.

Kelly D
    Participant

Makes me think we could benefit from a live chat system. I think we talked about this somewhere on the forums, but peoples tiny questions get answered super fast. Downside is there is repeat questions. Other forums I go on use it with success, idunno.

I never mentioned it because I never want it to be taken as criticism and I know forum setups are typically “that’s how it is” but I’ve found the search function here rarely effective. I have better luck going to Google and typing “Why does my Calicat look so funny V1Engineering” or “Why does my Calicat look so funny MP3DP”. I get more results direct to the forum than the search function here gets me – which is usually none actually.

The downside of this is WAYYYY offset by the upside that this forum is so active and so supportive.

I’m preheating now…….not sure what to expect so I’m expecting nothing good, bad or otherwise. First I need to reset the z end stop though…..

Ryan
    Keymaster

Kevin missed us!

Fingers crossed

Kevin Lopez
    Participant

Kevin missed us!

Fingers crossed

Yeah I am late to the party!

Kelly D
    Participant

Okay so here’s the summary:

IMG_6103
    The extruder gear was set so low that the set screws actually missed the flat spot on the shaft – hence the slipping. You can see the set screws were actually rubbing on the stepper casing.

IMG_6104

IMG_6105
    I slid the gear a bit out on the shaft but it’s close – you really just barely hit the flat spot if you want the extruder gear as centred on the tension pulley as best as you can. Snugged down nice and tight and flipped the throat nut as Ryan suggested as you’ll see in the video. Another 50mm test.

https://youtu.be/piIv6bTJcmo

So right on the money at 50mm again. I had been playing with the tensioner since the previous 100mm test so that surely exacerbated the slipping which caused the miss on today’s 50mm tests.

Laid down the first two layers of the cooler temp spiral vase……

https://youtu.be/mly6qPvexJg

I’ll post the photo as soon as I’m done watching the print. Let me say here (knock on wood) it looks like a whole new printer! And all for a simple set screw. Unreal. You all are the most patient, persistent bunch EVER.

And Heffe (can I call you that?) – I think I officially now know almost as much as had I owned an Ultimaker for a year…..including that nozzles stay hot to the touch for a long time!

I better not get too excited here. It’s still printing……

Ryan
    Keymaster

YES!

Kelly D
    Participant

Just going to post the photos and say goodnight. Not 100% but I never expected to be anywhere near this……thank you all so, so much. Amazing. Two teeny tiny screws buried in the extruder assembly. Dui for the win – good eye man!

IMG_3760
    IMG_2782
    IMG_9959
    IMG_4197

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Awesome! All that effort finally paid off!

This time it looks way better than before, just a few things to tweak and it should be spot on. Not entirely sure what would cause the remaining issues since there are a lot of possibilities, but one good indication is that they all seem to happen around the same spots with the first one you printed. So I guess they should all have a common cause.

I think you should try the little cat again for a while, it might be easier to get perfect than the vase. Usually one loop vase stuff are a bit hard to get totally right, that’s the kind of stuff I try in the end, when everything else seems ok. Hopefully when the cat will be perfect then it is likely the vase will be too.

Anyway, good progress, it’s nice to see it work!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

So, it wasn’t software then? I think if we tweaked the jerk settings we could have achieved the same result. 😀

Good eye Dui!

Probably change that 750 back to a 950 in your firmware before you forget.

And Heffe (can I call you that?) – I think I officially now know almost as much as had I owned an Ultimaker for a year…..including that nozzles stay hot to the touch for a long time!

Call me what you like. Just be aware that Jefe means boss in Spanish and Heifer is a lady cow in English.

Yes, you’ve seen behind the curtain. There is no spoon. Soilent green is people. 3D printers are just complicated ways to hide set screws! It’s all about the simplest ways to move just the right amount of plastic at just the right temperature at just the right place. That’s all there is to it.

Hopefully it will work well enough for your mount. If all else fails, print with more perimeters and make it fit with drill bits, files, and glue. There’s more we can tweak (moar software!) but spend some time enjoying it.

This remote debugging is made waaay easier with your excellent videos. The details are just great and you’ve been nice enough to show us just what we asked for. So I have to also give a huge amount of credit to… Steve Jobs. Keep them coming Steve!

Ryan
    Keymaster

I would consider that print just about perfect, at that point it is a temp thing, and after watching your video the file I sent is wonky, It should not have been so slow. You can see the first two layers are good, then it starts to creep. So yeah any other file you should be good. Your next cat should look pretty dang good now.

Congrats!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Thank you everyone for the support. Threads like this just reinforce how proud I am to have you all be a part of this!

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 30 posts - 181 through 210 (of 243 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.