The Carver's MP3DP

This topic contains 242 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 243 total)
  • Author

Aaron
    Participant

I usually like the calicat because it’s better at showing cooling issue, especially on the tail and small print areas, and I echo that it  looks like it’s not turned on. For PLA you definitely need cooling, I have mine come on after the first layer. Also, to make it faster to print, you can turn off infill, it shouldn’t need it. It does look like it’s over extruding too, but I think you calibrated it already. I’d recommend a tiny bit of coasting or a short wipe to get rid of the blobs, at least until you dial in linear advance later.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant

One oddity. My wife was entranced by her first sight of the printer in action right when this (attached) dropped onto the print bed from the bottom of the extruder. I gather I ought to put that ack in? How tight – and what’s it’s function given that pretty much the entire LCD print ran without it in place?)

I think that’s the filament tension bolt!  Yep, that’s the tension bolt.

https://reprap.org/wiki/Extruder_assembly     <<—Step 3.

How tight?  You want it to grab the filament, but not crush it.  Yea, that’s “technical”…   😆  I’m actually surprised it printed at all!

Kelly D
    Participant

One oddity. My wife was entranced by her first sight of the printer in action right when this (attached) dropped onto the print bed from the bottom of the extruder. I gather I ought to put that ack in? How tight – and what’s it’s function given that pretty much the entire LCD print ran without it in place?)

I think that’s the filament tension bolt! Yep, that’s the tension bolt.

https://reprap.org/wiki/Extruder_assembly <<—Step 3.

How tight? You want it to grab the filament, but not crush it. Yea, that’s “technical”… ? I’m actually surprised it printed at all!

This is the one that was inserted up from the bottom of the assembly. It looks like it’s just a keeper for the base of the spring. That site you referenced shows just a small pan head screw inserted from the top instead of this one inserted from the bottom. If I reinsert it and screw it all the way in tight it appears that it makes contact with the one nested in the top of the spring and the extruder stops. Back it off a turn or two and the extruder carries on.

Should I get a shorter one that I can screw in tight without touching the nested one above it maybe?

Barry
    Participant

That would work.  Or locktight.

Kelly D
    Participant

I may have some in the garage actually. Good thinking.

Kelly D
    Participant

Okay. Like I promised. (I may have printed up an experimental Lithophane last night first though : )

1) That a move of 100mm in X, Y, or Z is actually 100mm. This isn’t a calibration step, the right number is something exact, like 80, 100, 200 steps/mm.

Seems pretty bang on on both X and Y.

2) Move the nozzle up a bit, just so there’s a few inches under the nozzle. Set the nozzle temp to 205C. Mark (with a ruler) 120mm (or 5″ if you only have a ‘merican ruler) above where the filament goes into the MK8. Then extrude 100mm (4″ is 25.4mm*4, so 101.6mm). You should have 20mm (or 1″) left above the MK8. You should be able to dial this in pretty close, within the width of the sharpie. If it ate too much, then your steps are too high. If it didn’t eat enough, then they are too low.

Right on the money here too.

3) Check your bed leveling again. You probably need to be closer now that you’re not extruding 8x.

I think I was actually too close? I used the Z Endstop screw to fine tune and then rechecked the bed leveling – this time using the thickness of two sheets of standard copy paper. For another confession – I was going to print some other stuff before doing this but was having adhesion troubles. I thought maybe the bed was too close so I came back to do all this first.

I didn’t mention I have a PEI sheet on the bed. I wondered if maybe the bed preheat wasn’t heating through the PEI right at startup so I’ve tried a good preheat and then ran Calicat #2. Looks like some adhesion troubles still but better than all morning for sure. Maybe a touch too high on the Z Axis now? I shouldn’t need to be doctoring the PEI should I? Just nice and clean always?

Ryan
    Keymaster

The parts came from my pusher ; )

I’m officially changing my title on LinkedIN…

The screw looks to have come from the bottom of the extruder, it just keeps the spring in place. But as you can see it is not really needed.

Kelly D
    Participant

Forgot to mention – the print fan is now working too. I’m now down to only ONE of the Molex connections I made. Apparently I suck at creating Molex connectors…..hahah

https://youtu.be/MTJ7sH5I8u4

Kelly D
    Participant

We just had cannabis legalized up here. I think “pusher” is a bit safer to use around these parts now. Hahaha

Barry
    Participant

We just had cannabis legalized up here. I think “pusher” is a bit safer to use around these parts now. Hahaha

Funny story, I was working at a Dr client one day, and one of the drug reps came in to shmooze the doc.  I was at the front desk and just called back to the doc that his drug dealer was here.  I was given “the look”.   😆

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Looking good to me. It looks like the outside most perimeter on the first layer isn’t adhering well, but otherwise, it’s good.

I noticed on your lcd print that the bottom had the elephant foot. That’s caused by being too close. You might be a bit too far away, or you might need a hotter bed (I print at about 50-55C eith PEI/PLA). You can also slow down the first outside perimeter so it’s not tugging so much.

At any rate, go nuts printing.

Ryan
    Keymaster

In Cali it feels like when it went legal you could spot the new stoners. I swear there were/are tons of cars that are driving 10mph UNDER the speed limit now.

In the bay it is ridiculous, you can smell it as you drive passing cars, in peoples pockets as your shop….anywhere in Oakland. It isn’t my thing and I don’t mind it at all, but I wish some of them would realize how it seems to an outsider. Booze is legal, Imagine grocery shopping and having people smell like gin, or smell gin as you drive. If someone always smells like booze they have a problem, if they need to take a shot when they wake up or before a meeting they have a problem, have a flask in there pockets grocery shopping, problem. Weed is the same.

Sorry that was mighty rant-ish.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Just to add to this off topic. Here in Colorado. A neighbor has a day care business and anytime after 5 (and sometimes before) you can smell it (not just a little) from our yard from their house. I don’t know what to think, because I don’t think they are abusing pot, and I respect them running a day care from their house. It just feels wrong to do them both in the same house.

Kelly D
    Participant

It isn’t my thing and I don’t mind it at all, but I wish some of them would realize how it seems to an outsider. Booze is legal, Imagine grocery shopping and having people smell like gin, or smell gin as you drive.

I’m in the “been there, done that” camp – just not my thing. However that’s the ONE thing here that I think the legislators missed the mark on. They aligned it with our tobacco smoking laws (in terms of where you can and can’t – with a minor exception being while driving). To me I feel that they should have aligned it more with the alcohol laws – or relaxed the alcohol laws. I figure if buddy is allowed to smoke a gagger in the park I should be able to enjoy a nice cold beer. But I’m not allowed.

[/opinion]

Here’s Calicat #2. Seems much rougher than #1. PLA printed at 205 (first layer) 203 the rest. Bed temp 60 deg. I’ve got another print running right now and it seems that I will go back to the “single piece of paper” z height once it’s done. And I’ll try slowing down the first layer.

IMG_5073
    IMG_2592
    IMG_5851

Ryan
    Keymaster

What are your print speeds? Just to start try 30mm/s print, 50mm/s travel, print fan 90% starting on layer 2. keep teh first layer at 50% speed.

Maybe give us a screenshot of your speeds page. I might have to go in and update all the print settings…I haven’t touched them in years.

Kelly D
    Participant

I have looked for the fan settings a few times and I know I’ve seen it but I can’t for the life of me find it. (It’s probably going to slap me in the face as soon as I post these screenshots……)Speeds
    LayersInfill

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Is the filament loose? The banding looks like what I had when the extruder was tugging on the filament to get more. It would lift up or sink down based on the tension in the line.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The fan stuff is in the filament tab, right?

Kelly D
    Participant

Right you are. Found it. And I see settings that explain to me why during this print everytime I manually turn the fan on using the LCD it turns itself off…..I think these layers are quite lengthy prints (steampunk goggles eyepieces….you know….halloween is coming ; )

I better move this thing down to my office or I won’t get anything accomplished! I need a filament spool holder. Never did follow up on my threat to whip one up on the MPCNC. That’ll get me at least to my desk. Maybe a client can catch my attention while I’m there.

Kelly D
    Participant

Is the filament loose? The banding looks like what I had when the extruder was tugging on the filament to get more. It would lift up or sink down based on the tension in the line.

I’m willing to bet the filament might have been a little snug here and there through that print (see previous post about needing a holder). Not sure if I messed with the top screw on the extruder while monkeying with the bottom one that kept falling out (I’ve just left it out for now) either. I assume that one adjusts the tension?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I assume that one adjusts the tension?

Top one.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Those are two topics. The boot on the extruder tensions the filament in the extruder so the great grand and doesn’t skip. Three problem I had was that the extruder would pull on the filamemt, which would lift the extruder a little, until the spool gave way and spun out a few inches of slack. I haven’t seen amyone else complain about it though. If it’s in your office, you can just print the calicat again and just make sure there’s plenty of slack. If it looks better then that’s your problem.

Kelly D
    Participant

I just aborted the goggle print. It was pretty confusing with all the supports – not one to be learning from. And it had some big missed layers. I’ve lowered the Z to a single sheet of paper, cleaned everything up, loosened off a pile of filament and am printing Calicat#3. Using the same gcode file from previous 2 so the speeds are all the same. Immediately I’m seeing way better adhesion even on the skirt.

Back in an hour….

Kelly D
    Participant

Here’s #3. From left to right, 1, 2, 3. Better but oddly #1 has more consistent X planes. Or I guess that’s Y planes -made by the X axis……

I’ll look at the speeds and try a new file. How much issue is touching the filament? Do the oils etc from my hands cause troubles?

D5C49F3F-9A91-469B-8276-B51844B592C04DD933D1-D37D-4EE9-B265-7BF494001348
    43B90FD1-5472-4AA5-BF73-FE3DD207B313
    A39FC036-DC4A-4E5A-ABB3-FE3B52ACDFE3
    015A9B5B-EEBB-441F-B67F-2A364943AB81

Bill
    Participant

Any chance the wheels that move your belts aren’t solidly tightened to the stepper shafts? You seem to be walking around a bit on both X and Y.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah, I am seeing some funny things. Lil z wobble and maybe belts or bearings.

Just in case lets try this file.

Kelly D
    Participant

Printing now (halfway through). Made me think of a fun 3d printer game like the blind bags my kids love so much. Send files – no peeking, just print and enjoy the surprise. I imagine there would have to be constraints like no 23 day print files and nothing too explicit or obscene. Good fun though…..

I’ll check the gears when the print is done. is there a specific belt tightness I should be aiming for as well? Could snug those up a notch maybe.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Hmmm. I like that idea, but I’m not sure I could print just any gcode. It’s worth a try though.

Kelly D
    Participant

Here’s the result. A few misses but not a load of wiggling to my untrained eye.

IMG_7592
    IMG_9073
    IMG_3621
    IMG_6203
    IMG_6343
    IMG_0818

Ryan
    Keymaster

Dang that is not good enough. We can get it wayyyy better.

Is your print fan pointed just below the heater block or pointed right at it? Did it come on and is it blowing the right direction?

What filament are you using? Did you get a spool holder rigged up?

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 243 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.