The Carver's MP3DP

This topic contains 214 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  SQLException 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 215 total)
  • Author

Kelly D
    Participant

Its begun so I figured a fresh thread might be in order.  Milled the front and side panels today one by one. I had the whole sheet set to cut but didn’t have time for the full run so I used my Estlcam skills and separated the bits so I could run them one by one as I had time. They’re cutting about 40% faster than the Estlcam CAM estimates. Really lightened up the framework on these. Not for any real purpose other than “I have a CNC machine so I might as well”. (That one’s for you Ryan 🙂

I’ll cut the feature piece tomorrow or Sunday.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That’s looking really good.

Kelly D
    Participant

I’ve learned that I need to make my holding tabs a touch bigger yet. The “Basic Instructions” for the LCD side panels suggested 3mm X 3mm but I’m finding that at 3mm height they fail in the plywood kind of frequently. These ones I made 5mm long X 3mm in height thinking that would help but I still had three centres pop out. Luckily I was watching it so I was able to get the pieces out before they interfered with the Dewalt.

When I was cutting my cam lock levers (dog hole levers) I wasn’t so lucky – one of them popped out and burned up a bit pretty good. And that was 3/4″ ply so it really locked itself into the hole and cranked on the mill. All was good but it was crazy to see happen. It’s good to have reminders of the respect these tools demand. My most respected ice carving tools are the Makitas. I’ve seen some horrific things happen with those monsters. If they catch fabric they dive right in.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Kelly D
    Participant

I’ve Photoshopped out some details to save the surprise but am too excited to not share things at this point. Here’s how it all went together after being “aired out” on the MPCNC. Looks pretty high tech already. I love the look of “structure” in industrial design.

Note my daughter’s 3Doodler there…it’s officially already a 3D Printer! Hahahaha

My tracking number tells me the the doorbell is going to ring this afternoon with a box full of goodies to pay with after work tonight! Super excited.

Attachments:
    2 users thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Nice! I like the tape mock up.

Kelly D
    Participant

Nice! I like the tape mock up.

Ha! I’ve seen stuff around here that makes me think you have little ones running around your place like I do in which case you may know just how miraculous it is that I was able to find tape at all!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Haha. I have two, but I keep my tape in the top drawer, and they are still pretty small. I’m amazed that even the 8mo. old just loves watching my 3D printer. They are just fascinating to watch.

Kelly D
    Participant

The mail carrier brought me a box full of goodies! And no duties at the door this time! Double win! Haha

I better get some fans on the paint so it dries quick for me…..

77railer
    Participant

Cant wait to see this progress.

Kelly D
    Participant

Well, I was able to get all the fasteners from an industrial supply place after leaving Home Depot empty handed. They didn’t have anything that went smaller than M5 and the 6-32 selection was really lacking. Worked out though because I got all the bits I needed in one stop and for $11!

The paint and stain went on yesterday. Need one more coat on the Heffe plate and the details and features need their paint. I’ll do that tonight and should be assembling tomorrow. It looks great already – can’t wait to see it fully assembled and powered up.

Barry
    Participant

Ace is the place for small metric hardware…   😎

Kelly D
    Participant

I’m so bad with patiently waiting to reveal surprises. I figure I can “leak” this without giving too much away……can’t wait to see it all put together!

4 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Well you have my vote!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Omg, yes. I keep seeing the emails and I keep wanting to see the design. Thank you for doing the big reveal!

Those colors look great amd the chainsaw through cut is a nice move.

Kelly D
    Participant

It’s killng me having to wait for paint to dry…..getting screws and nuts into the right places while I wait.

I assume the LM8UUs go into the XZ ends and the carrier piece for the extruder)I guess that’s X). And then into the three bed bearing blocks. I have four left. Do I double up on the XZ ends and the X slider piece?

Kelly D
    Participant

Sorry – just found this pic. So I’ll double those up. Must be true that the XZ ends get doubled up too. Should these be lubed?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Should these be lubed?

No, they should come lubed, I think.

Kelly D
    Participant

I had a good look at them last night – they are lubed. However as I was sliding the smooth rod through I heard the ominous tick-tick-tick-tick-tickety-tickety-tickety sound of something very very small bouncing on the hardwood floor. I stood up and heard another round of tickety’s And then another. I found two impossibly small ball bearings on the floor – did not find the third.

Looking inside the cylinder I can see a good number of bearings in there so I don’t know if I’ve lost one or two or if they were loose in the cylinder and extraneous to begin with. I got concerned because the rod felt rough sliding through and jammed here and there. Then I saw Ryan’s note about not tightening the clamp bolt down – which I had. Removing it altogether things ran smoothly for the most part. Still doesn’t feel as smooth as I think it should.

Josh
    Participant

That looks awesome, what are the dimensions?

Kelly D
    Participant

I must have done it on the laptop because I can’t find the file on my desktop here. It’s not much different than the original, I just curved the top into an arch and then slightly curved the bottom up to match. I was worried it’d look too much like a tombstone with that shape but I think it worked out okay. I think that top bit at it’s widest is about 4 1/2″.

Kelly D
    Participant

The end stop switches have arrived – PLA is supposed to be here tomorrow. Getting awful close here! I used the MPCNC to make two sets of LCD side panels in some very nice Sapele I had laying around. The detail is so amazing. It’s a fussy wood when it comes to detail but so gorgeous when finished. Had an almost iridescent quality about it. I’ll grab some photos and post them. Job #1 (and #2) when I get the printer going is to print the enclosure middle sections – one for the MPCNC, one for the MP3DP.

Kelly D
    Participant

Someone (I think it was J Smith that’s also happens to be where I live actually) was saying something about wire management and cutting wires to length. I hadn’t thought of that and I don’t know why…..well, in installing the new end stops to the MP3DP I decided I’d cut and solder to shorten the stepper leads so they were all just nicely fit. Glad I did.

The question I have is whether anyone knows what connectors I need to plug nicely into the end stop plugs on the miniRambo? I searched the RepRap specs but the model numbers they cite are definitely not the correct ones. I had read “molex” here somewhere but that’s about as close as I’ve come.

I also discovered in this process that the bit on the x-axis that receives the set screw for the end stop is upside down so I took a few steps backwards while flipping that…..

Busy weekend here but I’m going to try to get as much of this done as I can…I wanna get the tool mounts for the MPCNC printed! Ice carving season is so so close…..

Thierry Deux
    Participant

The question I have is whether anyone knows what connectors I need to plug nicely into the end stop plugs on the miniRambo?

Is this the plug you’re looking for?

2.54mm 1×2 Connector & Positive Latch Housing Kit – 6 pack

https://www.pololu.com/product/1902

BT
    Participant

You can get larger quantities from digikey with the latching connections: 4-position, 3-position, and 2-position. You’ll also need the mating terminal inserts.

Kelly D
    Participant

Well I managed to find the connectors locally but they won’t be in until the end of the week or early next week. I had a sneaky suspicion that this may not be the last MP3DP I build so I ordered like 30 of them. Only a buck a piece and 39 cents for the insert terminal. Won’t hurt to have them around. I was amazed how many techs I spoke to that took one look at the board and knew what it was. Unfortunately none of them knew where I was going to find the parts.

I have the secret addition installed and it looks so awesome. Can’t wait to share this bad boy. It just seems like it’s going to be best shared with a little melted plastic oozing out of the extruder. Hahaha

I’ve had one lingering thought rattling in the back of my head every time I look at the heated bed. Do I need to find a piece of glass to put on top of the bed or do I/can I print right onto the bed surface (or tape adhered to the bed surface (so much to learn still….)?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’ve had one lingering thought rattling in the back of my head every time I look at the heated bed. Do I need to find a piece of glass to put on top of the bed or do I/can I print right onto the bed surface (or tape adhered to the bed surface (so much to learn still….)?

For PLA, put blue painters tape on the aluminum. I have added a sheet of PEI on the aluminum.

J Smith
    Participant

Looks really nice, good job! I started cutting mine but oh boy, steep learning curve indeed. Can’t wait to see your final pics!

Kelly D
    Participant

For PLA, put blue painters tape on the aluminum. I have added a sheet of PEI on the aluminum.

PEI ordered. Seemed to me I’ll get a smoother bottom surface to my prints that way. I’m waiting for the Molex connectors anyway so no lost time waiting.

Kelly D
    Participant

It’s all here! All the bits I’ve been waiting for. Tonight just may be the night! Time to get the wiring hat on and heat up the soldering iron. Stay tuned – I hope to post the pics tonight!!!!

Kelly D
    Participant

Agh. So many teeny tiny bits involved putting the Molex connectors together. I don’t have the “proper” crimp tool for them either but I’m making do. Literally all I have left to do is the three Molex connectors for the end stops and then wire up the power supply. Everything else is wired up and pretty.

Oh, EXCEPT the extruder.

That white plug coming off the extruder motor does NOT plug into the miniRambo does it? I am assuming the answer is “no” and assuming I have to convert that to a 4 pin Molex as well (which I did not order…….*sigh*….more wait time). Can someone confirm for me? Is it maybe as simple as carving off the nubs on the white plug so it’ll fit into the Molex receptacle?

Also “Fan 2″……it was just naked leads coming out of the board – not a molex receptacle. I put the 2 pin Molex end on the leads but it doesn’t seem to “click” onto the pins. It’s there but I can’t say I trust it. I couldn’t fit the factory supplied white plug on there either (pretty sure if wouldn’t fit anyway). Any words of wisdom on that front?

We’ve had many sneak previews here at home since I got the “extra bits” setup so maybe a quick photo tease will help y’all on this final stretch of advice so we can see what this thing turned out like? Just let me switch the dining room lights off to take the picture (how’s that for a big clue huh? hahaha)

Attachments:
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.