Taller Y carriage plates?

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Taller Y carriage plates?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Greg 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Greg
    Participant

Been doing some more calculations on my torsion box design and I think I need to go quite a bit thicker with the table to get the stiffness I want.  Is there any problem with just designing some taller Y plates and using longer tubes to accommodate a taller table?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Interesting. I wonder what @allted will say. I don’t have the mechanical mind, but it might make it stiffer?

Barry has a paulk bench and he just added rails to the side. You could do the same.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Taller should be fine, I think a rail might be an easier option and keeps the moving mass down as well.

Greg
    Participant

How wide should the rail be?

Barry
    Participant

Unistrut is 1 5/8″ square.  My wheels run pretty close to the center of the rail.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Greg
    Participant

I need a wheel guide for accuracy so I guess if I routed a groove in two laminated strips of 3/4” mdf it should work.   Doesn’t really seem easier than making a taller Y plate but it would be nice keeping the carriage lighter.

kd2018
    Participant

I need a wheel guide for accuracy

It was my understanding that wasn’t necessary. What kind of inaccuracy are we talking about?

Greg
    Participant

It was my understanding that wasn’t necessary. What kind of inaccuracy are we talking about?

On my current small table I found that even after I tinkered with my wheels and got them perfectly parallel I would see some drift to one side when doing multiple passes back and forth. After enough passes it would use up the entire 1/4” gap with the table. This caused me problems  especially cutting aluminum where the passes have to line up exactly. Routing some 1/8” deep grooves for the wheels resolved this. I don’t think the belt tension is sufficient to keep the carriage centered on the table otherwise.  Other people have used  closet door track but I found my solution easier and much cheaper… for some reason 20 feet of closet door track prices out to a lot around here.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Greg.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Greg.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.