Still need laser help

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Still need laser help

This topic contains 37 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Daniel Gonzalez 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

Ryan
    Keymaster

The community editable instructions are just about ready if you want to add info there.

I do not have a working laser to test with, both of mine have popped trying to make instructions (and a mis-marked PCB, and a DOA replacement). In my laser page I highly recommend Jtech because they have all the info provided and reputable equipment. Unfortunately I think the import lasers are starting to go like the Ramps and are getting worse in quality. This is why I did not want to offer you info, I am not a pro at this, I have wasted too much money on the imports, the Jtech just plugs right in and is US legal (interlock).

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What are you suggesting with the firmware page? Direct downloads instead of github and the dropdown? Or like a list of boards configurations and direct links?

clokisk
    Participant

This is what I did to set it up ( see images).

I supplied the laser with 12v and GND and ran GND and the 5v PWM pin to GND and pin 45 on the Rambo 1.4 board.

Also the laser has an on and off button and when you turn it on it goes full power. Is there a way to make it not do that?

Keith Brown
    Participant

This is what I did to set it up ( see images).

I supplied the laser with 12v and GND and ran GND and the 5v PWM pin to GND and pin 45 on the Rambo 1.4 board.

Also the laser has an on and off button and when you turn it on it goes full power. Is there a way to make it not do that?

Im going to do a whole write up of my setup, but i basically soldered a 1kohm resister between PWM and GND, because the pwm pin is floating. poor controller design. See images

Keith Brown
    Participant

What are you suggesting with the firmware page? Direct downloads instead of github and the dropdown? Or like a list of boards configurations and direct links?

That would be cool but a pain to maintain, no? Basically anything to make it easier for the NOOB – lay it out on a silver platter. 🙂

Keith Brown
    Participant

I have a question about adding a pull down resistor to the laser controller. My laser was always on 100% so I added a pulldown resister of 1k ohm to the GND and PWM pins. which was working well until i tried to cut through 3mm birch plywood. It seems the laser isnt getting to 100%

I did 25 passes (a circle) at 100% with a travel speed of 20mm and didnt get anywhere.

However i removed the resistor and turned on the laser (instantly turned on to 100%) – for about 5 seconds not moving and it cut right through.

Is there a change i can make to the Firmware to combat the current state of my laser not getting to 100% when i install my “safety resistor” 🙂

or

Does anyone know the minimum resistor value I would need to get the laser to an initial off state?

Keith Brown
    Participant

bump

Daniel Gonzalez
    Participant

I purchased the 5.5w OxLaser from amazon which is 12v power and 5V PWM. My version did not need the resistor but I did see a mention of a resistor for the less powerful models and he recommends a 1K ohm one so you are doing it fine to this point.

I followed the instructions on the laser site to the T but the only thing I did not do is the spindle control which I believe is broken. (M3 commands have a delay or something and the Marlin site says “not for laser use” so that is when I decided to go the Fan route (M106 S0-255 and M107 to shut down). The issue is that the normal fan port on the Rambo boards give 12V PWM out of those pins.

I remapped my Fan port to pin 45 and simply use the fan commands to change the intensity of the laser in Lighburn.

Have this setup working w/o any issues.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.