Still need laser help

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Still need laser help

This topic contains 34 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Brown 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Keith Brown
    Participant

Can someone please tell me where to edit the code for pin 45 on a rambo board? I’m trying to get this setup today and do some testing…

I’m using a 5w laser that is controlled via a 5v pwm signal.

I have everything wired i cant find the “servo” pin edit in the firmware nor the “fan1” pin edit –

Thanks in advance for your help

Ryan
    Keymaster

Marlin/SRC/Pins From there it depends on the Marlin version you are using, but look for RAMBO.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Keith Brown
    Participant

Marlin/SRC/Pins From there it depends on the Marlin version you are using, but look for RAMBO.

I’m not entirely sure what that means, Ryan, but here is some more context of what I’m working with:

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/5-5w-450nm-laser-setup/

Edit:

I now know you were talking about the folder for the pins header file… pin 45 seems to be defined…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Keith Brown. Reason: eureka moment

Keith Brown
    Participant

I found the pins_RAMBO.h and 45 seems to be set, but not being controlled when i export the gcode in lightburn

//
    // M3/M4/M5 – Spindle/Laser Control
    //
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_PWM_PIN 45 // MUST BE HARDWARE PWM
    #define SPINDLE_LASER_ENA_PIN 31 // Pin should have a pullup!
    #define SPINDLE_DIR_PIN 32

Keith Brown
    Participant

This is what I did to set it up ( see images).

I supplied the laser with 12v and GND and ran GND and the 5v PWM pin to GND and pin 45 on the Rambo 1.4 board.

Also the laser has an on and off button and when you turn it on it goes full power. Is there a way to make it not do that?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Keith Brown.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I am not comfortable giving advice on a laser I do not own.

Please see the laser page, we do not currently use M3-it is not working in marlin yet.

Ryan
    Keymaster

https://www.v1engineering.com/lasers/

Keith Brown
    Participant

I am not comfortable giving advice on a laser I do not own.

Please see the laser page, we do not currently use M3-it is not working in marlin yet.

What is a good alternative that is working with marlin – what pin should i use?

I understand you dont feel comfortable, but I want this to be operational, and i feel im spinning my wheels.

I want to try something,..

Keith Brown
    Participant

i guess should I try 23 or 31?

Keith Brown
    Participant

My first cut seemed to go well, but things are getting wonky….independent of speed

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by  Keith Brown.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I have the pins used for every board I have tried listed on the boards page. I thought they were linked form the laser page as well? For 12V you use a fan port, for 5V you use a signal pin specifically the one I have listed for your board, each is different. There are also other pins you  can use but most only need one free pin.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks like your laser is not turning off. Maybe post your gcode or describe how you made it.

Keith Brown
    Participant

Im using pin 45:

When I enable: #define SPINDLE_LASER_ENABLE

I get the following (verbose) error compiling:

Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: “RAMBo”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Keith Brown.
    Attachments:
    1. error.txt

Keith Brown
    Participant

wierd i cant get the firmware to compile – im trying to use the Duel Endstop/ LCD/RAMBO version – compiles without defining the laser bool

Bill
    Participant

Uninstall the Windows Store version of Arduino and install the normal Desktop version. The WS version isn’t terribly robust. (And for heaven’s sake, attach a text file to your message instead of dumping forty-eleven pages into the message body. :))

Keith Brown
    Participant

im using lightburn to create the gcode. i tried to execute from lightburn and Repiter.

attached the gcode:

thanks

Attachments:
    1. 20mm-circle.gcode

Keith Brown
    Participant

I installed arduino using the installer and not the store and im still getting the following errors

Attachments:
    1. error2.txt

Bill
    Participant

That’s the older (1.8) version of Arduino. Any of the 2.0 Marlin builds need 1.9 or the current beta version of Arduino.

Keith Brown
    Participant

I get the same error with the beta version as well

Barry
    Participant

Multiple libraries were found for “SPI.h”
    Used: C:\Program
    Multiple libraries were found for “U8glib.h”
    Used: C:\Users\User\Documents\Arduino\libraries\U8glib
    Not used: C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rambo\hardware\avr\1.0.1\libraries\U8glib
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board RAMBo.

You need to wipe out all of the arduino stuff and start over.  Follow the flashing instructions on this site.  The U8glib libraries is messing it up.

Keith Brown
    Participant

Thanks Barry! I’ve actually done that twice. I think Im getting the 2 U8glib error because the rambo board addition adds the library and therefore when I add it its in 2 places… the SPI.h error exists when I install arduino…(this is a new laptop, where the only things i need for mpcnc stuff are on here…)

Not sure what to do about the u8glib error – what version should i install? the instructions say the latest…

Im going to completely wipe everything- for the 4th time… i only get a compile issue when i enable the laser/spindle settings – there is some function definition missing…

Keith Brown
    Participant

I got a successful upload of the firmware. I went to the preconfigured repo and not the other and selected the appropriate branch…i was faced with a completely different configuration_adv.h and enabled the laser option – I later found i needed to invert the pwm and on/off states – I got a successful burn!

Now that i can cut shapes and, well, dragons 😉 I was playing with the raster image software image to gcode and it doesnt seem to be rastering and just burning a line – the preview is much different then the output as if the Y isnt getting a signal.

What is the workflow to raster an image with the laser –
    I converted the image to gcode
    imported it in Repetier-Host
    and its stuttering and pausing a lot

i commented out the few lines in Marlin.cpp for the V2 fix and also took the advice of “Some Old Guy Coding” and disabled the junctions.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Keith Brown.

Ryan
    Keymaster

i commented out the few lines in Marlin.cpp for the V2 fix and also took the advice of “Some Old Guy Coding” and disabled the junctions.

I have updated the firmware since his video, I do not think you need to make these changes.

Keith Brown
    Participant

i checked the code and they were still active

Ryan
    Keymaster

But I have edited 3 values to make them work properly (I think).

Keith Brown
    Participant

ill uncomment my changes and do it again… i made the changes as a precaution….

hmmm. maybe we can add some info to the firmware/laser pages to better illustrate the changes? and add a note to older forum/tutorial/posts – it took me forever to research and implement.

thanks, Ryan

Ryan
    Keymaster

What should I add?

Keith Brown
    Participant

After i was able to burn a circle i created this dragon – looks good. Its about 2″ in scale, but if you notice there are fatter lines in some of the curves and some lines are thin – do you know how to troubleshoot something like that?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Keith Brown.
    Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

To trouble shoot A few larger simple shapes would make it easier, or make that 2-3X and lets have a good look at it.  The picture is too small to show enough detail to see an issue on this end.

Keith Brown
    Participant

What should I add?

I would do a wiring diagram on how to hookup a laser (both 12v and 5v) and a small tutorial on software examples – nothing too in depth.
    Also reference all the helpful thingiverse creations out there. I would also stress and provide plans for fume extraction. I can share what I did (I dont smell any smoke in my basement).

I can write a few blog posts on my site and send you the links if you would like…

One thing that I found confusing (and I’m a developer by trade) is the Git repositories – you should probably just reference the pre-configured repos…and explain a bit more about choosing the right branch – or if they are going to clone the repo its better to fork it first – I popped someone else’s stash LOL 😉

Thanks again, Ryan!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.