Steppers stop moving and start rattling

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Steppers stop moving and start rattling

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Chris 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Participant

Hi all,

I finally finished my first MPCNC…

Everything moved smoothly during the first test, but as soon as I started to mill down the wasteboard the steppers started as expected but suddenly they stopped and begun to behave strange…

First I thought it might be a cable issue and changed the wires but with no success…

Does anybody have an idea what the problem could be?

Attached a video of the situation.

CNC Shield on an UNO V3 w/ DRV8825 @ 0.7V

Estlcam is the slicing and controlling software…

Thanks for helping

Cheers

Ryan
    Keymaster

Does my crown gcode work perfectly?

Stephan
    Participant

Hi,

i had a similar problem at the begin of my first tests. The reason, in my case, was one of the DRV8825 was faulty. After changing the wiring it was the same. In the next stepi changed the DRV8825, now it’s fine.

Try to connect the steppers to a other axis, to test if it moves as it should.

regards Stephan

Chris
    Participant

Does my crown gcode work perfectly?

Unfortunately not for me – I did not manage to get the MPCNC running with Repetier Host and I have no clue how to use it with Estlcam…

Hi,

i had a similar problem at the begin of my first tests. The reason, in my case, was one of the DRV8825 was faulty. After changing the wiring it was the same. In the next stepi changed the DRV8825, now it’s fine.

Try to connect the steppers to a other axis, to test if it moves as it should.

regards Stephan

I changed the driver to a new one, set the current to 0,7V but no changes – also switching the wires of the axis didn’t solve the problem :-/

Ryan
    Keymaster

I see you are using GRBL. I do not have a test file for that. So you need to not only test your mechanical build, electronics config, you also need to verify your Gcode. At this point it could be anything.

If you want some help from others that might be using GRBL, you should post all your settings, configs, and lots of pictures, along with what hardware you chose (all of it, pulleys and steppers, power supply). Saying it doesn’t work leaves it to wide open. Post every thing you know about your parts selection and config and see if a GRBL user can spot obvious issues.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Chris
    Participant

I’m trying to think of a reason, because the y-axis is moving just as it is supposed to and the issue startet out of nowhere… First I could move all the axis over the Estlcam Controller software and then it stopped…

In the meantime I also tried just to connect one of the x-axis steppers directly to the CNC shield and it runs as it is supposed to – what leads me to some questions

• could it be that the wires of the Y-cable of the instruction is to small in diameter?
    • do the stepper driver need more current?
    • could a short circuit be the reason?

My electronic skills are still pretty at the beginning ^^

Anyway – THANK YOU SO MUCH for you help so far

Ryan
    Keymaster

You are not giving enough info like I said. All of the questions you asked can not be answered without more details.

Are you wired in series as recommended in the instructions or did you wire in parallel?

Chris
    Participant

It is fixed 🙂

If anybody wants to know what the issue was:

The extention cable for the one axis had a broken cable.

I replaced the whole extention and now everything moves as it is supposed to

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.