Stainless Upgrade

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lptech 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lptech
    Participant

Just wanted to point out that the 1″ OD stainless tube available with the .o49 wall thickness will not fit if you started with the EMT 3/4″ ID printed parts. 23.5 mm parts for EMT conduit rails. 25.4mm parts for the Stainless Tubes .

So that is the story of how I ended up with two MPCNC’s.

I was a bit confused by the way the BOM describes rail choices, so now I know. Although it is pretty clear in the instructions that you are suppose to measure your rails first before printing parts…

Ryan
    Keymaster

As you can tell I am not the best with instructions but I try to update them any time there is an issue. I have that on a few pages and it is still a very common issue. I have no idea how else to word it or where else to put it to avoid these issues.

On the plus side you have two machines!

1 user thanked author for this post.

David Rabbit
    Participant

Just wanted to point out that the 1″ OD stainless tube available with the .o49 wall thickness will not fit if you started with the EMT 3/4″ ID printed parts. 23.5 mm parts for EMT conduit rails. 25.4mm parts for the Stainless Tubes .

So that is the story of how I ended up with two MPCNC’s.

I was a bit confused by the way the BOM describes rail choices, so now I know. Although it is pretty clear in the instructions that you are suppose to measure your rails first before printing parts…

Am curious: 1.  what motivated you to upgrade from EMT to Stainless?  and, 2. Did you achieve the benefits you were after?

lptech
    Participant

My intention  was to go with stainless eventually but first  test the build  with the cheap conduit. Before I even finished the table, I found a 20′ length of stainless tubing at the local steel distributor. That’s when I realized the stainless tube was bigger than the conduit . So what the heck, started printing 25.4mm parts.

Not even finished with the first build yet but now that I have had the chance to slide the bearings along the stainless tubing compared to the conduit …. I am spoiled.

I found a 20′ length of 1″ OD (25.4mm) .049″ wall, 304 stainless tubing  at my local steel distributor, They only had one piece on hand  and wanted it out of the way. So I got it for $80 . But that was a lucky one time deal . If I lived in a large city ,  I could pick it up for  that price ($4/ft), but  other quotes are in the range of $7-$10/ft .   So as with many items shipping is more than half the cost.

lptech
    Participant

As you can tell I am not the best with instructions but I try to update them any time there is an issue. I have that on a few pages and it is still a very common issue. I have no idea how else to word it or where else to put it to avoid these issues.

On the plus side you have two machines!

Really the instructions are fine, my bad for assuming.

Twice the fun!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.