Some updates, Marlin update, new boards?

New Home Forum Updates Some updates, Marlin update, new boards?

This topic contains 54 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author

Tom Cole
    Participant

I am fairly certain this is the same board that is on my Prusa i3 MK2. Been a bit since I’ve looked at it. It has served me well.
    Some answers to your firmware questions may be answered by reviewing the MK2’s firmware, and there are thousands of people running this printer. Some are very savvy when it comes to firmware. MK2 owners groups on FB are good resources.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yeah it should be the same board.

I think I have a firm grasp on all if it now. The new batch should be here tomorrow, and we can get a few more of these out into the wild. I am really confident now that this board is a major step in the right direction. A more robust set of electronics is just as good as a more rigid machine, but are much appreciated updates.

Bob Swika
    Participant

Has anyone found a good enclosure for the mini rambo board? I see a few meant to mount on a printer, just wondering what others are using. Thanks,

Bob

Ryan
    Keymaster

I actually haven’t even looked. I need to make one though at least for the lowRider.

Are there any that catch your eye a little or some specific design features you want?

I like my ramps case but it is too big. I like the open part of my ramps case so the wires don’t have to be super carefully arranged and that it has plenty of circulation. I have both the open ports facing down so no dirt can get it, a place to clip[ in the wires, a cover so you can get at it but don’t actually have to move it, if that makes sense.

Maybe something like that or?

Bob Swika
    Participant

Exactly like that. Just something to cover it up to protect it and maybe mount a fan in if needed. I don’t like to have to carefully arrange the wires either so extra room is a plus.

Bob

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sweet, No promises on time frame but I will move it up the todo list.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Maybe two versions, or two lids. one with the lcd and one without. Both with a fan somehow, and bonus points if I can make some of the parts cnc-able.

Bob Swika
    Participant

Thanks. No rush I’m still building the machine. An all in one solution which also holds the display would really be nice. I definitely will use it if you create one.

Bob

Bob Swika
    Participant

Hi,
    I hooked up my mini rambo today. The board lights up green but the LCD display shows nothing. If I turn the knob it beeps and the light on the board changes to orange and flashed when the dial is turned. Sometimes the LCD starts flashing and beeping. This stops for a little while then starts again. This happens when the LCD is plugged in the same as your diagram. If I reverse where the two LCD wires plug in the LCD does nothing at all. Can you please let me know if you have any ideas what may be wrong.

I did turn the potentiometer to make sure the brightness wasn’t turned down.

I took a video of this behavior which I attached.

Thanks a lot,

Bob

Ryan
    Keymaster

In that video you have them wrong. You have to be careful with this the plugs fit in each other and in both facing directions. If you compare it to my picture you will see the red strip is on the wrong side so I am guessing you have the plugs facing the other way to fit in the box, meaning you need to turn the rambo ones around the wire will naturally go towards the middle of the board.

Bob Swika
    Participant

I will try it right now. I though I saw where the red stripe went on the side closest to the USB plug. I’ll let you know if it works.

Bob

Bob Swika
    Participant

Thank you very much. Don’t know how I looked at it so many times and still had it wrong. Getting excited I guess. I have your pen holder printed so hopefully I’ll be able to test it out soon. Thanks again,

Bob

Ryan
    Keymaster

Just match the ports, there is a port 1 and a port 2. After that you can get them backwards on the rambo. The issue is the screens don’t clearly label pin1 (red wire usually), and the supplied cables are backwards on 1 end. Sorry for the hassle.

Bob Swika
    Participant

No hassle at all, thanks for the clarification. The machine is up and running with the pen attachment. Thanks!

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome

Chris
    Participant

Ryan,

Sorry for the stupid question. If we were to upgrade to the Rambo board, should it alleviate the issue using the board for both a CNC and laser? I specifically mean where right now the firmware has to be flashed for either as far as I know and can’t go back and forth.
    I have the Rambo board on my Prusa i3 Mk2 and it is rock solid. Would be nice to have one on the MPCNC as well, especially for what you’re selling them for.
    Thanks for any info.

Chris

Ryan
    Keymaster

Right now I only know of one rambo running the laser, so I am not positive right now. But same thing I believe he remapped the fan to the laser pin. If you are not 3d printing with your MPCNC you do not have to switch firmware, only if you need the fan port for a fan. The Mini Rambo has less pins so it is actually less flexible, just a much more robust design.

Steve
    Participant

I have the Prusa multi material on order. Seems it uses a daughter card to run four extruders with the mini-rambo. The firmware is posted if someone who knows what they’re looking at wants to look at it.

Karel
    Participant

Got tired of the buggy experience my Ramps gave me. So I just ordered the Rambo in your webshop. 🙂

Indeed a bit pricier, but if more stable I’m game :-). I might return with some questions once I receive the board. But since I use the same steppers as I predict I only have to adjust for the 8MM z axis?

Looking forward to using it!

Ryan
    Keymaster

So today I wasn’t paying enough attention and plugged the power supply, both rails, into the output port on the minirambo, and left it there to try and flash it….Nothing happened other than the mosfet lights were on. Kind of amazing really, I would have guessed the board would be wrecked, nope I hooked up every port and it is working perfectly.

Karel
    Participant

Yeeh, Mini Rambo is in and configured. Performing very stable!

Steve
    Participant

So here’s the MiniRambo Multiplexer… Switches between 4 stepper motors..

Ryan
    Keymaster

The firmware has a special section for that. I think that whole unit, firmware, Prusa solution is awesome. I’m not big into designing for multicolor but If I need multicolor at some point I will get that setup for sure.

Steve
    Participant

I have to look into the specs, was thinking maybe it can be used as an expansion board of some sorts. For people who mis the mini’s missing ports….

Ryan
    Keymaster

I’m not sure, it would take a lot of code to make it work.

I think for the mini, If you really wanted to get crazy you could just wire a driver into some unused pins, that would be easy to do I think.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.