Size suggestions

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Tony 3 days, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tony
    Participant

I asked on the facebook today because I was away from my computer, but I know the forums are more active, so now that I’m home, here I am.

Trying to settle on a machine size. I’ve identified tubing, printed all my parts, purchased my dewalt, and accumulated the cash to buy a part kit from Ryan and to build a table.
    I’m going to see at least a few wood projects (and light gauge aluminum panels) that I think would make a 2×3 ft machine appropriate. I also would like the ability to try out some smaller, thicker aluminum pieces for brackets.
    I’ve seen the supports for rails longer than 3 feet or so. Can I mount these and have a removable cross bar between the rails to shorten the long side? Would the crossbar be unnecessary or even effective?
    Am I going to be stuck building a second, smaller machine?
    Thanks. Hoping to get this sorted so I can order.

Barry
    Participant

Start with the recommended size, 2 by 2 foot outside diameter.  Get the feel for it, then when you need to, just put longer tubes on.

Josh
    Participant

I think this machine is like a garage, it’s never quite big enough.  I started with a 24″x36″and wish I had built a 30″x36″.  I got fancy with the wiring so it’s going to be a pain in the ass to expand.  If you build a 24″x24″ keep the wires out of the tubes, and dont solder anything or cut any wires.

Kelly D
    Participant

Barry, is that a recommended 2X2 cut area or actually 24″ tubes according to the cut calculator?

Tony – the cut calculator provides a second bit of interesting info – the required table size. It caught me on my first build and is challenging me on the second because I have limited space in the shop.

I’m trying to size my smaller, dedicated machine right now – I’ve got all the nuts and bolts and bearing and printed pieces – just need the tubing.

Barry
    Participant

I believe so.  I’m also pretty sure you can make it a 2 X 2 cut area and still not need supports.

Tony
    Participant

Thanks, all. 2×2 it is, no cutting, no soldering.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.