Silly Question Time – Hanging Torsion Box

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Silly Question Time – Hanging Torsion Box

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Greg P. 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Kirt
    Participant

Hi All, we have recently had some pretty spectacular floods over here in usually sunny QLD (Aus), and it has wiped out all my stock etc, which I was using to build my table. But it did bring me to an idea, but I am not sure of the potential flaws of the idea, so I thought I would ask.

My house is 2 storys, where the entire bottom floor is a workshop essentially, not a massive area, but big enough, I originally planned of replacing my old workbench with a full sheet CNC table for the lowrider, and throw on some scrap materials when I needed it for a workbench.

Since these floods, I was wondering what are the disadvantages I might face, if I was to build a torsion box alone, with some extended X rails, and pulleys, to allow me to lower it into position when in use, and raise it when no longer needed, this would allow me to build a simple fold out workbench on the wall below it.

Obviously it swinging about while cutting would be the major issue, my thought there was the use the 2 support posts for my house, as a kind of anchor point once lowered into place, a bold through each side to hold it against those posts, should stop the swinging.

Let me know if you think its a stupid idea, or if you have ideas on how to improve upon it, etc? It’s just a thought at this time, as I clean up and begin to make space and buy new materials.

Regards

Kirt

P.S Sorry if this is a duplicate, my browser crashed and I cant find the post.

Jack
    Participant

If you can afford to take another crack at it if it isn’t what you want, then just do it!

Worst case, disassemble and use the materials to rebuild in a different form.

The ‘swinging may be a different and may or may not cause issues.  I would try to think of a way to ‘dampen’ any occilations.  Bungee’s to sold ite points might help with low frequency vibrations, extra mass connected to the bottom of the torsion box will help with high frequency vibrations.

Let us know what you do!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Jack.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m not sure the swinging will matter that mich, actually. The work compared to the bit is what matters. If it’s all swinging together, then NBD.

You may just have to carefully think about how you’re attaching the hanging wires to not interfere with the low rider.

Kirt
    Participant

Thanks gents,

My plan was to extend the frame of the torsion box style design past the boundaries of the actual CNC area, so the pulleys should be well out of the way of the actual wheels, cords, etc.

I think it might still be a good idea to anchor it in some way to the support beams or something when its lowered, just so I don’t go grab a drink and come back down to a CNC swinging 1m each direction hahaha.

I think I might go get some LVL from the local hardware store as soon as it drys up downstairs, and mock it up, I think as you mentioned Jack, if it doesn’t work, I can always just build a table to put the top on later 🙂

Barry
    Participant

Couple knock down sawhorses under it when lowered.

Kirt
    Participant

Actually, that was part of another though, if the folding workbench didn’t have fold out legs, and instead a frame on wheels I can roll under it when in use, I could use the same frame to sit the torsion box on… Saw horses isn’t a bad plan either, although I would have to buy more, mine are always in use if the workbench is haha.

Barry
    Participant

Freaking horizontal surfaces!  They’re clutter magnets.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MikeDub
    Participant

Sorry to hear you were affected by the floods, I’ve got some family up in the Townsville region too.

I reckon you could probably build a bench lite enough to be lifted up out of aluminium.

A good option if you can’t weld aluminium would be qube locs, which are just plastic joiners that allow you to quickly put together a frame -> http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.net.au/1-files/aluminium-qube-loc.htm

Personally this is the route I would go.

MegaDad3D
    Participant

I just built my MPCNC using a torsion box for the base. It’s just sitting on my outfeed table right now until I can build a proper stand for it. I did this because I’m reworking my workshop and am not sure where it will end up. Having the torsion box provides the stability independent of the stand. From a functionality perspective, I can’t imagine why this wouldn’t be equally effective with a LR.

Having said that, I’m not big on convertible tool designs. When I want to use the machine, I really prefer not to have to rearrange the furniture first.

Kirt
    Participant

Thanks guys, and thanks Mike, the floods here have been terrible, but we are really no where near the worst of it, a lot of people lost everything, so I consider my situation very lucky.

I have those metal qube loc tubes for my 3D printer box, I don’t know how strong they would be on such a big area to be honest, probably end up needing a lot of runs to keep it strong, and the cost would skyrocket. I was just going to use some LVL or Smart Form from bunnings (https://www.bunnings.com.au/smartframe-95-x-45mm-lvl-smartform_p0140226) for the main rails, then some thinner stuff for the inside to keep it all square, etc, if I run 2 of these each edge, then make a torsion box inside, it should not really flex.

I agree about not wanting to rearrange the workshop MegaDad, but until the carport is built, I do need to keep that side of the workshop free to put the car under in case of storms etc. I think if I do it right, I can put a crank on the wall that just uses  a drill to lower and raise it, a very simple fold out workbench would be a nice space saver for my workshop also, as my current one is a massive 500kg 2×1.5m bench on casters, that is bulky and excessive lol.

Greg P.
    Participant

I had the same idea but the thought of a big heavy box hanging over my head when I’m not using it kinda freaks me out 🙂  Currently looking at maybe making something that swings out from the wall but weight is an issue.

Kirt
    Participant

I wonder what the overall weight would be, I have a 500kg hoist that can hold it fairly strong, I reckon some small loops on each corner and a short chain with a loop to lower it on once its at max height, will be a nice way to have it be very secure, so the worry of it falling on you isnt so bad haha.

Greg P.
    Participant

You should be fine.. I did the math on a 1/2″ MDF full size table and it was a couple hundred pounds at most.

Maybe I watched too many road runner cartoons as a kid !

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.