Should I have the vacuum on for an entire cut?

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Should I have the vacuum on for an entire cut?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alex 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Alex
    Participant

I have a 1 gallon micro shop vac. So far I’ve been letting it run for the entirety of all of my cuts. My longest cut has been an hour. Is it safe to continuously run the vacuum for that long? How long is too long?

Barry
    Participant

As long as the motor has its own fan, I don’t think there really is a too long.  I’ve run my for over a day straight with nothing bad happening to it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Dakota Jim
    Participant

Does it get hot in that hour? On my MPCNC I just do a quick vacuum for each step down of the Z, so maybe my vac runs for a minute or two at a time ( I plugged the vac into a foot switch). There are a lot of people that have slightly larger shop vacs (6 gal) with the dust shoes that have them run the entire time of a 4 hour + run without problems. Some have them mounted in sound deadening cabinets to keep the noise down. Check out DIY dust deputy options to help save on your vac filter also.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Alex
    Participant

It gets a little warm, but not hot. I’m running my CNC in an enclosure to keep the noise down, so right now I can’t turn the vacuum on and off. But I could modify it so I could switch the vacuum on and off. Or add a timer to turn it off for some time every X amount of minutes.

I think for now I’ll monitor the vacuum to see if it gets hotter. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.