Short engraving bits in the DeWalt 660

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Short engraving bits in the DeWalt 660

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TomW 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

TomW
    Participant

I’ve had a couple of fails on parting out an engraving using a 1/8″ 2 flute bit. The bit pushed back into the collet twice, destroying the work. In once case the bit was pulled out of the collet and left embedded in the wood. I’ve used routers, drills and other tools with spinning bits and feel comfortable that I tightened the collet up enough, but this is my first time with the DeWalt.

The bit isn’t very long…. 1 1/2″….  and I tried to keep it longer to ensure it cleared the 1/2″ thickness of the wood. I’m using a 1mm step down and 900mm / minute feed rate. Just got my machine up and going last week, so I’m keeping it nice and slow until I get the kinks out of my process.

I ran a successful part out with a 1/4″ up spiral….. I felt the larger bit would solve my issue and it seems to, although there are times when cutting out something that I’ll need a smaller diameter bit.

So here’s my question….. How much of the bit needs to be in the collet to be safe and effective? Or is a 1 1/2″ length bit just too short? I purchased some of the Amazon bits and they all seem to be short, almost Dremel-like.

Thanks in advance for your help…..

Aaron
    Participant

They don’t really come any longer in 1/8″ shank, they become more prone to breaking the longer you get. If it’s slipping that often, you might want to check and make sure it’s actually a 1/8″ bit, and not a 3mm shank.

TomW
    Participant

Aaron,

They are listed as 1/8″ on Amazon

On a 1 1/2″ length shaft should the entire non-cutting portion of the bit be in the collet?

Tom

Josh
    Participant

I would verify the bit diameter first.  My collet is .705″ so I would say 3/4″ engagement should be sufficient.  I feel that it’s best to use the shortest endmill that you can get through the material with.  I have 1/8″ endmills up to 3″ you just have to back off on the feed speed a little, if you get too fast the bit will wander or chatter from the flex.

Aaryn
    Participant

I know this is a “well duh” kind of suggestion but I have to ask.  Did you make sure you are using the 1/8 inch collet?  The router should have come with two collets. I haven’t checked to see if they were both the same size or not.

After that I would suggest slower Feedrate as a test.

Aaron
    Participant

I know this is a “well duh” kind of suggestion but I have to ask. Did you make sure you are using the 1/8 inch collet? The router should have come with two collets. I haven’t checked to see if they were both the same size or not.

After that I would suggest slower Feedrate as a test.

The other coller is for 1/4″ bits.

I understand that it’s listed at 1/8, but that doesn’t mean it actually is. The difference between 1/8″ and 3mm is 0.175mm, and I have received bits listed as 1/8″ when they are the metric 3mm.

TomW
    Participant

That’s a good point on the bits, especially buying from Amazon and a brand I’ve never heard of. But I loved the price.

I’ll check the shafts of all my bits.

Yes, I’m changing the collets from 1/8” to 1/4” and back for my bits. Never a dumb question.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.