Settings for 1/32 inch bit

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Settings for 1/32 inch bit

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Henage 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Henage
    Participant

I purchased a 1/32 inch router bit that can cut 1/8 inch depth. (Amazon Product Page)  How do we determine the feed rate for a particular bit that we never used?  This bit is the most expensive one I have purchased ($32), and with it being so thin/expensive I am worried about breaking it while experimenting.  If you have general info on how to determine estlcam settings for a new bit, I’d be very interested.  I actually purchased every bit available on this site so knowing how one goes about deciding on settings will be helpful.  On a side note, it is hard to find bits much cheaper than you will find in the V1 Engineering shop.

I am making some small boxes and hope to try a box joint.  I’ve done this successfully with a laser cutter, but the kerf for the laser cutter I was using was around 1/50.  I am hoping the radius will be small enough with my new 1/32 inch bit that filing the inner rounded corners will not be needed.

If this does not work out well, I will be cutting a hole in my table and clamping my boards perpendicular so that my LR2 will cut the box joints along their edges.

Ryan
    Keymaster

If this does not work out well, I will be cutting a hole in my table and clamping my boards perpendicular so that my LR2 will cut the box joints along their edges.

Yes! I can’t remember if any one has done that with a V1 machine, I know I have seen it just not with one of ours.

As for that tiny bit…I really have no idea. That is so small getting the chips out will be the hardest part. RPM as low as possible start in pine, super shallow, work your way deeper. I think you will have to have a real air blast on it to keep the chips from re-cutting. I have not even used the 1/16″ yet that I can remember, unless I have a video of it I highly doubt it.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Josh
    Participant

I use 1/32 (0.8mm)  to cut out inlays in maple cutting boards.  I buy five packs of them off Ebay for $10.00.  I run them .5 mm d.o.c. @15mm/s I really haven’t noticed any burning on them and I cut 6mm deep.  I have had a cut or two go sightseeing and they will take more abuse than I like to give them, I’m just not brave enough to waste $50 in maple to save a little time.  These bits are so fine that the chips are more of a dust and clearing really isn’t an issue.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Henage
    Participant

Yes! I can’t remember if any one has done that with a V1 machine, I know I have seen it just not with one of ours.

I got the idea from a video on youtube someone using a hand router.  Now I want to try both methods regardless of how the 1/32nd bit turns out.

Henage
    Participant

I use 1/32 (0.8mm) to cut out inlays in maple cutting boards. I buy five packs of them off Ebay for $10.00. I run them .5 mm d.o.c. @15mm/s I really haven’t noticed any burning on them and I cut 6mm deep. I have had a cut or two go sightseeing and they will take more abuse than I like to give them, I’m just not brave enough to waste $50 in maple to save a little time. These bits are so fine that the chips are more of a dust and clearing really isn’t an issue.

Good things to know.  I found a 10 pack on amazon for $16, so I will try to find out a reliably safe speed on those.  I think I will save my expensive bit for fine detail carving only.  Thanks for a baseline to test out.  That inlay looks incredible.  I am excited to try something similar.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.