Sand filled Tubes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Josh 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ryan Chin
    Participant

I saw this video on roller coaster sound dampening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx4RnlsXAV0

Has anyone tried filling the tubes with a particulate or otherwise damping material?

Would it reduce vibrations/sound? Or would it just make the tubes sag?

Finally, is it worth the inevitable mess to test?

Barry
    Participant

Sag.  Almost all the noise is coming from the spindle, then the endmill.

Jamie
    Participant

Even relatively quiet spindles are very loud from the sound of cutting, so you would never hear a difference.

For a plotter or vinyl cutter or 3d printing application, I would think the stepper drivers (e.g. trinamic in place of A4988 or DRV8825) would be the next best investment for sound.  I doubt you would hear the difference of the sound damping rails without a machine that is already very, very quiet.

WarHawk8080
    Participant

Sprayfoam?

No added weight but could reduce vibration

Jeffeb3
    Participant

On my sand table I use trinamics and I used shrink wrap around the conduit. They both helped the noise, I think. The ZXY is more tolerant for a little diameter change. I wouldn’t do that on an MPCNC just because the noise is not as important in the shop.

Josh
    Participant

Last night I ran a 1/4″ poly tube through a 48″, 3/4″ conduit that was 48″ long, then filled it with 50/50 epoxy/micro baloons.  The empty tube deflected .025″ with a 5lb weight.  I dont think I’m going to gain much.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.