Rotary axis MPCNC

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Rotary axis MPCNC

This topic contains 66 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Atencio 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author

Bill
    Participant

Ideally you would have the motor on some sort of speed control and spin it pretty much anywhere from, say, 400 RPM to 2000 RPM. My cheapo Craftsman lathe has speeds between 875 and 3450, and I wish it had one more slower. I’d rotate the workpiece counter clockwise and move the bit in from left center, but that’s because most every lathe I’ve seen, except some specialized designs, do that. The cue lathes I’ve seen that use a router as the bit use a side cutting cylindrical bit, but they’re not doing any detail work, just tapering the length of the piece to match the finish taper on the cue. I’m guessing if you are trying to use a router to cut on a lather you’re going to want it to spin much slower, but if I were you I’d just use a fixed bit that the piece spins against instead of a router. You’d use a router in the other scenario where you are using a stepper to position the work for the router to cut the design.

Dan Roesch
    Participant

Can you find a link to the type of bit you are talking about?

Thanks Bill for all your help with this!

Dan

Bill
    Participant

I didn’t do any optimization for price or quality, but this is the first one I found on Amazon.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Thanks Bill,

I knew if someone had a good answer it was you. I’m working two full-time jobs to save up for a four-axis or five-axis router system.

Dan Roesch
    Participant

At 1:25 I see a blade that is doing the cutting on the CNC lathe. I realize these are industrial-grade machines and the rigidity is made for that tool to work piece pressure.

Are you suggesting that the lowrider has enough stability to move a static blade of some sort into a high RPM rotary access to do a similar style operation? I imagine the depth of cut would have to be super light.

I understand this scenario of a slower CNC controlled rotary axis but as I am just wanting to cut spindles 4 inches long and 2 in in diameter, the faster variable motor scenario is interesting to me.

Bill
    Participant

Sure, I don’t see a real problem with cutting using a blade on a CNC controlled lathe using either the MPCNC or Low Rider as a base for the design. I’d think you’d want to go more toward the cutter designs for metal lathes than the chisels for wood lathes. The cutting surface on the bit will be smaller, putting less torque on the bit holder. I have no idea what the cutting speed would be like, you’d have to experiment a bunch… 🙂

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Cool video. Very eye candy satisfying. lol

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.