Rotary axis MPCNC

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Rotary axis MPCNC

This topic contains 63 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Mike Atencio 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Is there a plan to make a 4th axis/rotary axis MPCNC? If not, there should be. That would be phenomenal.

Ryan
    Keymaster

There are already a few options on thingiverse.

Kelly D
    Participant

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve told people “that’s next” in the last month or two…..Even just to swap the Y so it’s still a 3 axis machine would be cool. I saw some cylindrical laser etches not long ago…..very very cool. May have been here? Can’t recall. I’m sure it was though.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Hi Ryan. Thingiverse? It has a way to add a rotary lathe to the MPCNC machine? How do I find it?

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I found this on Thingiverse! Thanks, Ryan.  I never even thought this would be on there. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1877336  

How is it controlled?

Ryan
    Keymaster

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1877336

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1731833

I think there are more, maybe check the gallery for projects that use them and there should be a link.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Here it is:  https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1877336

Now you have one like me!

Guffy
    Participant

After that think how you will control it. Grbl (and probably marlin too) isn’t an option.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

I like this one better than the other: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1877336

It’s what I was looking for.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Hmmmm Good point.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Most people just substitute the rotary for an axis and use either firmware. There are a few threads about it.

Guffy
    Participant

Then it still 3 axis cnc, just another kind of 3 axis

Guffy
    Participant

So for true 4 or more axis cnc you have to level up with pc – setup linuxcnc or paid mach3/mach4.

Or use very specific multi axis firmware. Only one free i know is TinyG/TinyG2 from Synthetos.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Nope, rotary. In this case what would you use the other axis for?

4th-5th axis CAM is not easy to use, not easy on the wallet, and I am not sure I have ever seen either on the MPCNC. In regards to extra axis most that ask about it think it is the end all of CNC, not realizing you still have at least face you can not get to.

Guffy
    Participant

I guess that Mike didn’t mean lathe-like cnc

It seems he asked about true 4 axis cnc mode

Guffy
    Participant

I had thought how it possible to build 5 axis cnc like pocket nc in the video above. From controller point of view. And only way i see at the moment, except using a PC, is build controller powered by TinyG firmware.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

No, I was wondering if a lathe could be added. Maybe the better question, now that It’s very complicated to make or too expensive to buy a rotary 4th / 5th axis, is it possible, using the regular MPCNC to take a carving file and cut on 4 sides to create a detailed rounded part?

I have Vectric Pro and Aspire. I’m learning the software but they’re both very new to me. Vectric let’s us download a trial version to try out with unlimited time on it. I downloaded both. I think Aspire is a little overkill but if I need a new income, might as well have it.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Hi Guffy, It still can’t make larger items like table legs. That’s what I’d be using it for. The 5 axis machines are uber pricy. I’d love to have one but geez. I was thinking it would be better to buy a lathe, carve my basic shape on it, then move that piece to the MPCNC and finish cut it with the details. If I can turn the part 90 degrees and have the MPCNC carve on the rounded surface, that would be sufficient.

Like these bedposts. The spiral posts and the acorn thing at the top.

https://www.houzz.com/product/34410959-villa-valencia-king-poster-canopy-bed-victorian-canopy-beds

Kelly D
    Participant

I don’t know why a lathe couldn’t be set under the MPCNC and then using only the Z and X (or Y) axis, carve profiles in spinning stock. Sure, I bet much like most things I’ve discovered with this whole CNC thing it’d likely be quicker by hand with parting tools and gouges etc. But the key with CNC is perfect repeatability. Not sure how you’d handle coding the profile though. I’m oversimplifying the discussion I know.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It still can’t make larger items like table legs. That’s what I’d be using it for.

Why not? You can easily do this with a rotary axis.

No, I was wondering if a lathe could be added. Maybe the better question, now that It’s very complicated to make or too expensive to buy a rotary 4th / 5th axis, is it possible, using the regular MPCNC to take a carving file and cut on 4 sides to create a detailed rounded part? I have Vectric Pro and Aspire. I’m learning the software but they’re both very new to me. Vectric let’s us download a trial version to try out with unlimited time on it. I downloaded both. I think Aspire is a little overkill but if I need a new income, might as well have it.

I am getting confused to what you are looking for exactly. In the machining space semantics is dependent on your age an experience so maybe avoiding rotary and lathe in your description will help. As an example now everyone is starting to get in a huffy if you call the MPCNC a CNC machine “technically all 3d printers and machines are CNC….”, then there is the 2.5D argument, Mill vs router, etc. For me it starts to get a little unclear.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

No, I don’t think you are. The prob would be getting Z to move around the perimeter as the lathe turns. One needs to know where the other is. I think they would have to be two separate jobs. Turn the piece to basic shape and size, then carve.

Kelly D
    Participant

Then let me complicate the conversation then ; )

In the ice carving world they make a lathe that uses a top mounted endmill (so hanging  much like the MPCNC). The profile is a literal hard profile that sits on top of the machine and the tool rides along the profile moving and down as it rolls over the profile.

Here’s the kicker. On the old school ones there is no motor on the rotary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=4gNF1xMJIQA (This guy is manually spinning it more than you need to TBH)  Just the spinning of the bit itself turns the ice – kinda gains momentum at 1:35. You can see the hardboard profile on the top of the machine. This one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJg1jtLF4U uses a low speed motor to spin the ice ad the endmill is CNC controlled on two axis.

Ryan
    Keymaster

As an example if your Y axis is now the spinning axis, you line up the X axis along the center line. There are a few videos with this on youtube with my machine and others. You would not want to move in the same direction as  the “spinning” axis, as it is already doing that for you.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

originally, I was wondering if it could be converted to add a 4th axis. The conversation morphed into this. Per your comment, MPCNC is what you sell it as so isn’t it a CNC machine? As for the lathe. well, the 4th and 5th axis is a lathe that turns and moves around for all sides to be cut.

In the end, it got really complicated and I tried to simplify. It’s really not possible to do the 4/5th axis with MPCNC. It makes sense to divide the work into two parts, lathe work, and then carve work if it is possible to create the four sides to be cut repeatedly.

I’ve noticed that people use the machine to do everything. If you just have to cut off edges, use a table saw. Faster than a router machine. Buy the lathe which is significantly cheaper instead of buying a 5 axis CNC machine. The MPCNC isn’t a 100% do all machine. I was wondering if there was an upgrade and if it had the capability to turn wood. It doesn’t.

Sorry for the confusion. Hard to ask a question when you’re not sure what to ask or how to ask it.

Kelly D
    Participant

There’s a now famous quote on here that I’ve heard Ryan and Heffe use in various forms. Something about using a hammer instead of a marshmallow. I’m sure i got that wrong ; )

HAHAHA

OctoPi is melting my mind…….

Kelly D
    Participant

2 users thanked author for this post.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

The limited size of the Pocketed NC limits the length of the piece. That enclosure doesn’t look long enough to do more than smaller pieces.

That’s why I was asking if the MPCNC could be upgraded to include the lathe function.

Mike Atencio
    Participant

Hahaha Right? Yeah. Sometimes old school is better than fancy crap do-all, which compromises to achieve marginal results. I’d love to figure out how to take something square and using the MPCNC, make rounded, carved posts. It’s all in the drawing files and set up. That’s the hard part, how to create the files so the MPCNC can carve them. Maybe it would have to be six or eight-sided. to carve the faces easily.

Ryan
    Keymaster

I was wondering if there was an upgrade and if it had the capability to turn wood. It doesn’t.

But it does, we both linked options earlier? This is why I am I unclear to what you want.  You also said it can’t do table legs but it can. We are missing each others point somehow, me and you do this often. When you say this can’t do something I am compelled to prove it can.

Do you have a link to a machine your are picturing? Perhaps an project you you are thinking the “rotary” stuff we linked earlier can not do without another axis worth of control?

Just to add more to this, you can control more axis with Marlin, we have easy access to XYZ, E0 and E1+, you just need to adjust your post processor to output correct Gcode.

Kelly D
    Participant

Hahaha Right? Yeah. Sometimes old school is better than fancy crap do-all, which compromises to achieve marginal results. I’d love to figure out how to take something square and using the MPCNC, make rounded, carved posts. It’s all in the drawing files and set up. That’s the hard part, how to create the files so the MPCNC can carve them. Maybe it would have to be six or eight-sided. to carve the faces easily.

Not long ago someone was posting photos of flip carved little birds. I bet that’d be the same way you could do it. Maybe look in the “Stuff I’ve made” threads. It really wasn’t long ago at all. Weeks if that I think?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.