Roller part

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Melvin 1 day, 14 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Jack
    Participant

Hi,

I have to print a new roller-part 25mm. I can notice a small difference between the two versions Roller and RollerM, but what’s the purpose of this difference?

I was wondering, would it help for the perpendicularity of the middle tubes to make two bearings on the outside instead of one?

Jack

Bill
    Participant

The RollerM is a mirror of Roller. They form left and right.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jack
    Participant

I know it’s a mirrored part. But why it is mirrored? You could use the same part 4 times, I think..?

Ryan
    Keymaster

It will work if your prints are decent.

The reason for the angle is print-ability. Some printers can’t do that angle well, so there is a mirrored version.

The mirrored version is to prevent the gantry from twisting with cruddy prints. If the angle is on the same side of the rail there is no twist, if it is on opposite sides there is 2x’s the twist (print error).

I have a blurb about it in the FAQ’s

Jack
    Participant

Earlier this post, I was wondering, would it help for the perpendicularity of the middle tubes to make two bearings on the outside instead of one?

Did the test with a sixth bearing on the roller-part. My X-Y axis are 105 x 85 cm and this long axis where quite instable in horizontal direction and hard to get perpendicular.

This extra bearing appears to be a huge improvement. If moving a roller by hand at one side, the opposite roller now moves right along with it. And the the middle is permanent perpendicular, the X-Y configuration has stiff corners. Test passed!

Jason
    Participant

Do you have a link to this part in thingiverse? I’d be interested in seeing what it adds to the mix.

Jack
    Participant

Get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggygxemp8lxaroo/roller-6bearings.stl?dl=0

It’s for 25 mm tube. No need for mirrored part. Prints without support. Layer 0,2 and 70% infill. There’s a small solid built in as support that is easy to remove after printing.

Jason
    Participant

Looks like I’ll need to redraw it if I want to use it. I missed the 25mm part…

Jack
    Participant

I don’t understand. This is the 25 mm roller-part…

Jason
    Participant

Right. I’m using emt. I think it’s a 23.4 so I would need to change it slightly.

GaryC
    Participant

I’ve noticed there is an orange slice void in both the roller and rollerM part for the 23.5mm version.  Suspect it doesn’t hurt anything, but sense it really shouldn’t be there.

Ryan
    Keymaster

No worries, artifact of a modification.

Lindsay
    Participant

So if I understand, the 45 degree angles in Roller and RollerM are stricly to minimise overhang so that these parts can be printed without support. Is that correct?

They do print amazingly well without support.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yup. Support is lame (when it can be avoided).

Melvin
    Participant

Yup. Support is lame (when it can be avoided).

Yes, support is lame. When designing, I always try to find a way to avoid supports. Well done, Ryan, on all your parts. So far, they are printing nicely.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.