Riding on the workpiece

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Riding on the workpiece

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

e7c
    Participant

If shop space is at a premium, how hard would it be to ride down the sides of the work piece itself with this design, with no table, just sawhorses with sacrifical tops. I imagine you sacrifice a couple inches on all sides but when not in use it seems it would be about 5′ x 1′ x 1′ or so to store, which is pretty appealing.

What else am I missing here, it should be reasonably flat on saw horses, assuming thick 3/4 in ply.

Is this feasible at all?

e7c
    Participant

I guess you would need some custom plates to clamp the belts on the long axes ends but that should be pretty straightforward to design.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I guess my first concern is that it wouldn’t really be that flat, even with 3/4″ plywood. IMO, something like 10mm difference in Z is about the max you could tolerate (overcutting by 10mm seems very big). I would think even a 4’x4′ piece would far exceed that sitting in two saw horses.

Next would be that the wood would move after being partially cut. If you’ve ever tried to just saw across a board on sawhorses, you know about halfway through, it will bow and pinch the blade. Since it can’t adapt to the Z depth automatically, that would greatly affect the depth of cut.

There is probably some middle ground though. Maybe some rails, or I beams you could make from plywood. Then you could use a spoil board to support the material. Making it knock down would save some space. You could probably use the surface for other work too, like an outfeed table or assembly table.

Interesting idea. I hope you share what you come up with.

e7c
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I see what you are saying the the changing rigidity, I assumed I would never (or really could never) cut all the way through but any large cut would have a pretty big effect. I will think on it some more.

David Walling
    Participant

I’d just make a smaller machine to the dimensions you can afford to give up in the garage. Then know the limitations of that smaller machine when setting up your projects.

I can do an awful lot on just my ‘small’ 24″x24″ MPCNC.

Jason Collins
    Participant

I have a 4×8 work table (a modified Ron Paulk design) and it takes up a HUGE part of my shop.  I don’t have another 4×8+ area to give up so my plan is to make a tabletop for the LowRider which fits over my existing worktable and then raises up when not in use.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Barry just slapped some unistrut on his and uses his table. Pretty sure he parks it at the far end when not in use. But a few pulleys would make a cool system.

Barry
    Participant

Yea, it’s the outfeed table for my table saw.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.