Repetier Host for CNC routing vs. EtslCAM?

New Home Forum Milled Printed 3D Printer -MP3DP Advice – MP3DP Repetier Host for CNC routing vs. EtslCAM?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JB
    Participant

Sorry, wrong sub-forum. Reposted to lowrider. Please delete.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I don’t know where your other post is, but there are three steps, not two:

1) CAD, which you have a solution for
    2) CAM, like slicing. This is what EstlCAM is recommended for.
    3) gcode sending. This can be repetier host, or you can put it on an SD card and load it in the LCD. There are other options, like CNC.js, v1pi, or pronterface as well. It’s just personal preference. This is the part of RH where you load in a .gcode, move the machine around, set up your origin, and hit “print” or “start”.

It gets pretty confusing because with some boards, EstlCAM can do #3, but not with our boards.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    JB
    Participant

Sorry, in re-posting I somehow lost it.

What I was going to say is that I have used Repetier Host (RH) for 3D printing and am familiar with it, including its integrated slicing tools using Slic3r and Cuda. I do all my 3D design in other applications and export to STLs, then let RH and the slicers do the g-code conversion. That worked for 3D extruders.

What I haven’t seen is how people are using RH for routing on a CNC like the lowrider/MPCNC. Do we have any sample configs for the “printer” settings etc? I would be doing the same thing: import an STL to RH, slice it, drive the CNC router from RH.

JB
    Participant

I also don’t know if “slicing” is the correct term. Somehow I’m guessing the process is a bit different for a router.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

import an STL to RH, slice it, drive the CNC router from RH.

No. You can’t do that. Slicers are a form of very automatic CAM. You can’t do that with CNC. You need to import the stl in CAM software, then save thw gcode and load that into RH. Afaik, RH cannot do the CAM, only the gcode sending.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The orignal post:

JB wrote:

Originally when looking into this it was suggested that EtslCAM was the way to go for the g-code generation/control. It may be, but I’ve since seen some mention of people using Repetier Host which I’m familiar with from the 3D printing world.

What I can’t find is anything on the specifics of using RH with the lowrider/MPCNC and Rambo 1.4 with a router. The settings in RH are very much geared to extruders vs. routers, but there are some CNC router specific settings now in the current version. Just wondering if anyone is using this with a lowrider/MPCNC and if we have any sample settings and/or tutorials.

I’m getting very close to installing the Rambo 1.4 board & LCD and have a PC to permanently attach. Just trying to decide what to install on it. RH would be preferable due to my past experience with it, just not sure where to begin if going with that over EtslCAM. I don’t need any of the design features of EtslCAM, only the STL>g-code conversion. I do my designs in other applications better suited for that.

JB
    Participant

Okay, thanks for saving me from that dead-end. So I guess EtslCAM  then is the CAM, and RH can send the g-code, or I suppose just export the g-code from EtslCAM to an SD card and print from the LCD. Sound right?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Yep.

Dakota Jim
    Participant

Ok, here is my being a beginner work flow for 2.5 D CNCing

1. Design creation in Inkscape – convert any lettering to path – saved as .dxf
    2. Estlcam – import .dxf – create tool paths for single tool – save project – save cnc file – repeat for different tool – making sure the “home” is the same for each file
    3. Mount work materiel – apply small piece of masking tape where home will be and mark with a small sharpie
    4. manually home and/or zero spindle
    5. put sd card in LCD controller or computer – turn on mini rambo – if using LCD controller, turn on spindle, select file from sd card – watch it run. If using repetier host from computer – import 1st file, select start print – watch it run
    6. End of file – LCD or RH, I use controller to move spindle out of the way to either, A. change tool or B. remove finished project from waste board – If A then I turn off the mini rambo and then repeat 4 and 5

I know I am not using RH or even the LCD to its full potential but I believe in KISS instead of trying to completely automating everything (It is a hobby after all, plus if all you do is push a button and walk away there is a diminished sense of accomplishment)

Thanks

Jim

JB
    Participant

Crystal clear sequence Jim, thank you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.