Reinventing the wheel with square tubes

New Home Forum Random or Off Topic Reinventing the wheel with square tubes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Marion J. Makarewicz 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

frosty
    Participant

In the wake of L’affaire du Tom seone is making his own printed parts and tubes square extrusions:

I’m guessing it will never see the light of day, but I’ve been wrong before. And if he’s using a bunch of Misumi rails he’s not going to beat the MPCNC price point.

Be interesting to see how he ends up licensing it…

Aaron
    Participant

He finished it almost a year ago, maybe 6-7 months. it looks like it cuts as fast as the mpcnc but costs more.

1 user thanked author for this post.

frosty
    Participant

He finished it almost a year ago, maybe 6-7 months. it looks like it cuts as fast as the mpcnc but costs more.

Hmm you’re right. I guess he’s just finalizing the design for release. Some mention of patrons getting it first, but I haven’t looke into that.

I have been unable to find any cost breakdown (or even an estimate anywhere), but it can’t be cheap.

mgn12h-ish rail+2x blocks are close to $25 for 300mm (Z axis) and $30 for 500mm (X/Y) so that is $160 just for the rails (and the 500mm dimension is probably short. Assuming an outer frame of 750mm square he has 8m+ (25′) of aluminum square stock. HD sells 8′ 1″ for $17 so $51+ for tubing. so that’s $210 for rails and square stock vs $45 (conduit and skate bearings).

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  frosty.

Tim
    Participant

I like it. Except, those linear rails seem to be binding. that movement doesn’t seem smooth at all. Which I would guess either has to do with the extrusion not being perfectly straight or print inaccuracies?

^Going from one closed source machine (completely free) to another that is PAID just because his overlord Tommy told him to. LOL. Must not be firing on all cylinders.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Tim.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The more the merrier. Ivan looks like he’s going to sell the plans (like an ebook, I’m assuming). His parts are big emough to scare me off. They look huge. I enjoy his videos though.

Id be happy to see these guys make a cnc. As long as it isn’t copyin Ryan or anyone else, they are totally fine making something like this. I suspect that anyone with the real talent to design, build, and test it will end up making it different enough.

Jamie
    Participant

I like Ivan’s videos and I hope he does well. His homemade CNC is not in the same category as MPCNC for a vareity of reasons.  It is version 1, so it contains no lessons from hundreds of people building them, and who will help when a beginner gets stuck? Is there a feedback mechanism where he can update to remedy the sticking points people find?

Matthias Wandel says lots of people buy his plans as a means to give a donation, not necessarily to build machines. I suspect it may be the same with Ivan, not unlike other merch.

I hope he is successful and even if he is, it won’t change the landscape as far as MPCNC is concerned.

I’ve been following Ivan. This is certainly a reasonable way to build a machine. A big different is the cost of aluminum tubing verses EMT in the US. I cost it out with the hardware and I felt that if I were to go with this, I might as well pay a little extra for the 8020 type stuff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.