Re-arranging the gantry.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Aaron 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Dave S
    Participant

I am wondering if this has ever been discussed at all.    I was staring at the machine contemplating how to expand the working area as much as possible and thought it might be possible to stack the x-axis motors on top of the y-axis motors thereby  removing the crossing gantry rails and allowing for the router to be mounted on a more (conventional?) center oriented gantry that x travels on a dual rail arrangement.  I see a few issues right off.   Is it too much weight for the Y axis motors?   It would need a means to support the  weight of the router/gantry, not to mention the loads in use.  And the Gantry Parts would need to be broken out in such a way that they could still be printed (or maybe CNC machined).     I guesstimate the rails would be spaced about 3 1/2″ -4″ apart (for US conduit) but they don’t necessarily have to be directly above one another.  Some angle set back could aid load distribution or even a three rail arrangement maybe  (conduit is cheap)?   Please shoot this idea down, so I don’t go making the wife crazy embarking on yet another project.   😉

Aaron
    Participant

If you look at the remixes on thingiverse, someone did exactly this. There’s also the artisan3/pearcnc that did the same thing, good places to start if you need inspiration.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Aaron.
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Dave S
    Participant

A.  Glad to see I am not crazy.  B. Glad there are people smarter than me already on the job!    I can rest easy now.

Barry
    Participant

You’ll get a crapton of deflection that way though.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Aaron
    Participant

Also, you’re basically describing what is the lowrider, lol.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.