Ramps 1.4 trouble

This topic contains 45 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  James 4 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

James
    Participant

Well it’s not going well. I hooked up a stepper and almost immediately the driver went up in smoke.

Upon closer inspection, the board says Robotale on it and the driver’s are A4988 StepStik. It would appear the genuine part ees was a lie.

Now the board display will boot up and work fine on USB power, but nothing when the ramps is only connected to 12v. I’m assuming it’s junk. I am ordering a hopefully genuine ramps board tonight.

Of anyone has any advice on this other board, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

S Sauntson
    Participant

Hi James

Im sorry its not got off to a great start, Looking at your attached picture, the red/black wires look fairly large. How did you try and power it? What Voltage?

regards

Barry
    Participant

Sounds like the voltage regulator on the arduino blew.  They’re easy to replace if you know how to solder.  Ryan has them in the store.

https://vicious1-com.myshopify.com/collections/parts/products/5v-regulator

James
    Participant

It’s a 12 volt power supply from my 3d printer. It’s something crazy like 17 amps. I used some leads from a lipo battery because I used Deans connectors for everything from my rc cars to my printer, so It allowed me to just plug it in. The wires are huge.

The arduino still works independently from the ramps board so I ordered a ramps kit with new drivers.

In the meantime, I pulled an old USB CNC controller off a machine I started a few years ago but never finished. I resoldered the connector and plugged everything in. I used the free Planet CNC software to jog everything and it starts drawing but the free version limits you to 25 commands. So everything works, but now I need to know if there is a free software to control the board. Estlcam won’t recognize my board so I’m not sure what my other options are.

I have yet to set the stepper voltage because my meter is in the shop, so I’m not playing with it too much. I will include a pic of everything cobbled together and see if anyone has used this type of controller with any success.

Thanks,

James

James
    Participant

Ryan
    Keymaster

but now I need to know if there is a free software to control the board. Estlcam won’t recognize my board so I’m not sure what my other options are.

Software

James
    Participant

Thank you. I gave Repetier a shot and it won’t connect to the board either. The only software I have found that makes it work is the USB CNC Controller software from Planet-CNC. This board is not his though, so I cannot use a full version of the software. But the fact that it did move the machine and attempt to make a drawing tells me that the board is good.

Unfortunately, I don’t know what this board is called, or I could perhaps look it up and find an alternative control program.

James

Ryan
    Keymaster

Oh right, sorry. I have not seen that board either. I assumed it was some sort of arduino clone but I guess not.

Bill
    Participant

Did someone actually build a Repic board, or is this a different PIC18F4550 based board?

James
    Participant

Sorry. No idea what it’s based on. It’s a Chinese clone of a Planet CNC 4-axis board.

Home

I have given up on it. It works with the Planet CNC software, but I can’t get it to work with anything else. My replacement Ramps will be here Tuesday, so I will just wait until then.

I hope I figure it out with the new board. I’ll be re-reading everything again until it shows up.

James

James
    Participant

Hey again. New Ramps showed up. Hooked it all up and works fine on USB power but when plugged into the 12 volts it won’t do anything. Is there a jumper or something that needs to be in place?

James

Ryan
    Keymaster

Not usually. When you say ramps do you mean the whole stack, or just the top board? Chances are that the 5v regulator on your mega went out like Barry pointed out, not the ramps.

James
    Participant

Yeah, the top board. The first one came with some weird jumpers in weird places on it. Should I still be able to connect with repetier? I can jog with the LCD but repetier doesn’t respond when connected.

Anyone have a part number for the 5v regulator?

Thanks

James

Ryan
    Keymaster

If the LCD works without the USB plugged in your 5V is fine, if not that is a problem. It should work with USB power and 12V either way.

If you can move it with the LCD you just seem to have a connection problem, try a different USB cable.

James
    Participant

Sorry. No LCD without the usb. I reloaded the V1 firmware and repetier worked. The regulator is toast. Does anyone have a part number for it?

I managed to draw the crown with a sharpie zip tied, but it isn’t very smooth. I cannot figure out how to set a home position for the gantry to return to in repetier. I’ll read up on that tomorrow.

Does estlcam control this or is it easier to use it then import it?  The end goal is to use the sd card since my laptop is an antique. I have so much to learn but am beyond thrilled to have gotten this far. Ryan, your design is amazing and exactly what I wanted to learn cnc on since I got a printer.  I cannot thank you enough for your help and everyone else on the forums.

My main goal is to be able to dragknife some FliteTest planes and build a Lowrider plasma table in the future.

Thanks again

James

Ryan
    Keymaster

Info…and a convenient place to buy…I know the owner tell him I sent you.

5V Regulator

Ryan
    Keymaster

I cannot figure out how to set a home position for the gantry to return to in repetier. I’ll read up on that tomorrow.

You don’t use the “home” button. Home=move until you hit an endstop…you don’t want that.

Does estlcam control this or is it easier to use it then import it? The end goal is to use the sd card since my laptop is an antique.

Twofer, -Estlcam control- is no longer supported…and if you do use it there is no lcd you have to use the laptop.

Ryan, your design is amazing and exactly what I wanted to learn cnc on since I got a printer. I cannot thank you enough for your help and everyone else on the forums.

High five, tell a friend…or an armchair engineer!

1 user thanked author for this post.

Amilo
    Participant

on the ramps board did you put the drivers around the right way ?

the 4988 go the other way around from the drv8825 drivers shown on the forum build..

4988 pots go away from the power connectors — drv8825 pots go towards the power connectors.

Using another board you are going down a rabbit hole,go back to the arduino ramps board and you will get support from the forum as many have used that board for the mpcnc with success.

James
    Participant

Amilo, that’s exactly what I did wrong. I read on the site that the pots face the power connector without realizing I had different drivers. I looked up the pin location on the board and the driver and double checked the second time. No big deal as now I have a second Ramps board for the Lowrider I wanted to build. I just need to find a genuine Arduino Mega.

I’m stuck at work for a boring 8 hours but can’t wait to see what I can figure out tonight.

James

Amilo
    Participant

Why a genuine Arduino ?

I have run loads of machines with clones,my last build was a laser with a cloned mega and ramps 1.4 using repetier with no problems.

Barry
    Participant

Why a genuine Arduino ?

I have run loads of machines with clones,my last build was a laser with a cloned mega and ramps 1.4 using repetier with no problems.

We’ve had issues with clones, like a more than 50% failure rate.

1 user thanked author for this post.

James
    Participant

What Barry said. I feel like my chances of success would be better with a genuine model plus I’ve read they are much more durable.

Ok, so I’m noticing some things with Repetier. I have to move the gantry to where I want then close the program, then open it up and open the picture up and play the print. If I don’t do this and click play after moving the gantry, it very slowly keeps moving in a positive direction. I usually stop it as it’s painfully slow and I have no idea where it’s going. It usually moves past the paper and where it would normally start.

Also, without sounding like I want to be spoonfed the info, does anyone have any tips for setting up the FliteTest plans and setting them up for a dragknife? I’ve been doing a lot of reading and haven’t found much info for setting up the knife or drawing. I see the needle cutter is popular but since it’s on the kitchen table for now, I was hoping to give the knife a shot for noise/mess reasons.

That’s it for tonight. Thanks again to everyone for the help so far. Still pretty amazed I got it drawing so easily.

James

Barry
    Participant

It’s going back to its zero point, which is where it was when you first power it on.  Usually it will move at the same speed as the last move unless told a new speed.  Sometimes I forget this and manually issue a move through the terminal, you know, something like G0 X1500, and it starts moving at half a millimeter per second, or some other glacial speed.  Here’s an easy one.  In Repetier, click config, then printer settings, then under the scripts tab, click the down arrow.  Under script 1 put in G92 X0 Y0 Z0 .  Now when you click the 1 under the manual control tab on the right, it will set the current position to zero.

Aaron
    Participant

Why a genuine Arduino ?

We’ve had issues with clones, like a more than 50% failure rate.

I feel the same. Also, it helps support the Arduino foundation as well.

James
    Participant

Ok. Small update.

Repetier is definitely wonky for some reason. I was going to draw a rc plane outline on some foam board. Sometimes it digs with the pen and sometimes it doesn’t. When I laid everything out, I used a 1mm depth for everything so I don’t understand why it is varying so much.

I ended up using Inkscape to ungroup the Flitetest PDFs like I saw on a Youtube tutorial for converting the plans. I did manage to screw up the scaling significantly, but I will figure it out. Apparently you have to ungroup everything then Estlcam the file in order to import it.

So some good lessons learned tonight, but the most important thing will be to set the driver current tomorrow. When I was playing around in a small area, everything was fine. But when going across the entire table, the gantry was either losing steps or just binding. That’s a project for another evening.

James

James
    Participant

Would anyone out there be able to tell me why I’m losing scale when importing a file from Estlcam to Repetier? I have a design set up for a 20×30 inch piece of foam, but when I import the design, it fills up the entire surface area of the CNC. I’m not sure why it is stretching out the piece.

Thanks,
    James

Ryan
    Keymaster

You have to know what units you saved it as and import it as the same. Typically inches or MM.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Hmmm, wait I read that wrong. Have a  look at my getting started and use the grid to make sure your scale is correct in estlcam. Also knowing how far off it is will tell us exactly where the scaling issue is.

James
    Participant

Yeah. I thought I had it figured out. For some reason Estlcam was scaling it up by about 3 inches in both directions when importing from Inkscape. I tried saving as dxf and the other one Inkscape uses. I went back and used the grid on Inkscape to make it the size I wanted, then verified it in Estlcam. This time the scale was correct. Then when I put it in Repetier, it quadrupled the size. I will look at it again tomorrow as that was my sign to go to bed.

On the positive side, I tightened the belts ever so slightly and as evenly as possible and it quit skipping or hanging up or whatever it was doing. I think one was looser than the other and it was binding on higher speeds. This time it moved the entire table size and didn’t miss a beat.

Slowly I’m getting there.

James

Ryan
    Keymaster

3 inches and it is supposed to be how many? What units are you using in inkscape (you have to be careful it uses pixels by default I think)?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.