Questions about dual-endstop usage with Marlin

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Questions about dual-endstop usage with Marlin

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Pascal 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Tim
    Participant

I finally got my MPCNC built after several months of start-and-stop work, and it made a pretty respectable crown test drawing!

I have a couple of questions though. I’m using a Ramps 1.4 board with the Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop firmware. I have tested that my endstops function by sending M119 and verifying that the endstops correctly show OPEN or TRIGGERED as expected. However, when I send G28 X Y the MPCNC continues trying to move in the negative X direction even after hitting the stop? Has anyone experienced this?

Also, when using either Repetier, or CNCjs (my preference is CNCjs) the MPCNC will not respond to movement commands using the GUI buttons until I first send a raw gcode command, such as G0 X1 which seems to jumpstart the machine and get everything working. The problem is that when I do this, the Z axis also moves up 1mm, throwing off my “setting the z position as home before powering on the machine”. I’d like to build a touch plate, but I’m unclear on how to set the z-offset so that the machine can identify the thickness of the plate itself.

Thanks for reading, and for any feedback you can provide!

Bill
    Participant

Check to verify the correct endstop is connected to the correct pins on the RAMPS. It may be moving X and triggering x_max instead of x_min.

Tim
    Participant

Thanks Bill, I did verify that it is the x_min and y_min

M119
    Reporting endstop status
    x_min: open
    x2_min: open
    y_min: open
    y2_min: open
    z_min: open
    ok
    > M119
    Reporting endstop status
    x_min: TRIGGERED
    y_min: open
    ok
    > M119
    Reporting endstop status
    x_min: open
    y_min: TRIGGERED

I triggered G28 X Y and manually pressed every switch and it does not stop moving. I can confirm all 4 switches report TRIGGERED when depressed and M119 is run.

Tim
    Participant

On a positive note, it seems that sending a non-movement command, such as M119 also “jumpstarts” the MPCNC so that I can start moving it without affecting the Z axis starting position. I’d like to figure out what’s going on with my endstops though.

Pascal
    Participant

Hello,

I have the same problem. Endstops are soldered properly and giving the desired state, but when moving the axis via repetier host, the axis are moving too far and do not stop.

I’m using the T8_T16_LCD_DualEndstop Version of Marlin, just made one edit: changed the board to Rumba.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Sorry but with the dual endstop firmware just changing the board will not work, pin edits are required unless you have 6 drivers.

Pascal
    Participant

Which pin edits do you mean? Searched through the config files but I don’t get it.

Ryan
    Keymaster

It is not in the config, I have to edit the actual pins file.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Pascal
    Participant

Is there a way I can help you (maybe with some informations about the Rumba Board?) or anything else?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I don’t own or sell the board so I can not make the edits for you, sorry.

Chris
    Participant

Tim, i had this issue. It was because i had to swap the two x motor wires around. X min to Xmax and Xmax to Xmin. The motors were not stopping when the endstop was hit, because it was moving the wrong motors.

Pascal
    Participant

@Ryan which part should be edited? I checked the whole file and I’m not be able to recognize a line which cause this behavior, even if I compare the Rumba and Rambo files. Everything about the endstops is already available and marlin recognizes the right state of the endstops (triggered and open).

Pascal
    Participant

Solution found… it seems to be my fault. I moved the axis manually by pressing something like -10Y and not by pressing home. Tought it would be safer to do it this way.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.