Question on a pendant.

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Advice – MPCNC Question on a pendant.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mike @Pix2Proto 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

John Pollman
    Participant

Hi folks,

I’m in the final assembly phase. My RAMBO board will be here tomorrow. (Full RAMBO, not the mini) Then I can get everything wired up. I watched a video on Youtube of someone who built this MPCNC and he added a “pendant” which is basically a joystick that allows him to quickly and easily move the head around the work area. Where could I get something like that which would work with my RAMBO setup?

Ryan
    Keymaster

It is a bit complicated as Marlin is not set up for a real pendant. In my opinion the best control would be to use Jeff’s V1Pi, and your cell phone or tablet as a control probably much cheaper and easier than any of the pendant’s you have seen running on marlin.

1 user thanked author for this post.

John Pollman
    Participant

I watched the Youtube video of the guy that built this and he used a really nice joystick that worked great. I picked one up for $28 on ebay. It just plugs into the USB port on your computer. It says that it works with any board. But apparently, not any firmware. If I have to reflash the firmware to a compatible one, maybe that’s what I’ll do.

kd2018
    Participant

Can you provide a link to the video?

The easiest way would probably be to use the rpi v1pi setup like Ryan suggested. The v1pi comes with cncjs which appears to have some pendant support: https://cnc.js.org/ My wireless keyboard has become my clunky pendant.

I thought it would be a fun project to build an arduino based pendant that just taps into the rambo’s serial tx/rx, but that’s certainly more involved.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  kd2018.

John Pollman
    Participant

John Pollman
    Participant

I’ll think about that guys, but it looks pretty complex. I’ve dealt with Octoprint before trying to use it with my 3D printer and I hated it. I struggled for a LONG time and ended up giving up. I’d rather not go through that again.

In the long run, I think using a different firmware would be much easier. This joystick just plugs into the USB port and you’re good to go.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mach3-6-Axis-USB-Joystick-Rocker-Electronic-Handwheel-f-CNC-Carving-Machine-US/282390410436?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

kd2018
    Participant

v1pi gives you the option of using octoprint or cncjs. Maybe cncjs would work out for you.

kd2018
    Participant

kd2018,

Here’s the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZNNK5Rsdzw&t=303s

Oh yeah, I’ve seen that before. He’s using a much more involved mach3 setup than our Marlin RAMBo boards.

If I remember right he’s got several cnc machines in there, I got the impression he made the mpcnc just for the heck of it using leftover electronics from other builds.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  kd2018.

Mike @Pix2Proto
    Participant

I run my mpcnc with grbl firmware and control it via bCNC.  I use a cheapo wireless USB number pad as a pendant, which has been very convenient.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.