Problems with motors and endstops

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC Problems with motors and endstops

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dark mind 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Dark mind
    Participant

Hello,

Me and my friend ordered a couple of components (RAMBo 1.4a was the first thing on the list) for the MPCNC from your site and I must say I am loving the design πŸ˜€
    How ever I am having some problems and I am hopping I could get a little help.
    We chose the dual endstop version for RAMBo board and when everything is connected only X1 and Z motors work fine. Also the screen work as it is suppose to. and I can navigate trough it’s functions without problems.

Problems:
    – Y1 only moves in [+] direction and does nothing in the [-] direction.
    – X2 and Y2 connected to E0 and E1 act as if they were not even connected to the RAMBo board, meaning they move freely even when they should be engaged and do not move at all when their counterparts move or better explained are dragged along.
    – The endstop switches connected to do not register (stop the motor) when pressed manually or by the motor.

I have tested that all the motors work fine, checked all the wires and endstop switches and calibrated the double 12V power supply to be 12.01V before first power up. Every motor wire was routed in pair with the wire for the endstop switch, to ensure no mixups but I still rechecked every line and connection with no luck.

Thank you for all your time and help with this matter!
    Best Regards,

Ryan
    Keymaster

What does m119 say in repetier?

Ryan
    Keymaster

I will say, if you did not buy the kit and didn’t buy the board with the dual wires it most likely is flashed non-dual firmware, m119 will confirm.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Dark mind
    Participant

At the moment I can not connect it to the PC, too far away but I will try to do so in the next couple of days (extremely busy at work too).

As for where I bought the board and kit it was here on V1 Engineering, and I did order the dueal endstop option in which I received the micro switches and connectors with it.

Is it possible it is as simple as a wrong firmware on the board? We shall see πŸ™‚

Dark mind
    Participant

OK managed to drag the table over to my PC and here is what I get from the endstops:

21:15:15.775 : Reporting endstop status
    21:15:15.779 : x_min: open
    21:15:15.779 : y_min: TRIGGERED
    21:15:15.779 : z_min: open

And this is when I manually pressed the Y1 endstop:

21:17:48.319 : x_min: open
    21:17:48.319 : y_min: open
    21:17:48.319 : z_min: open

Bill
    Participant

Yup, it’s not flashed with the dual endstop firmware. If it were it’d be displaying X, X2, Y, Y2, Z. You also could easily have problems with the stepper wiring. It looks like you have different stepper wired with different colors there…

Dark mind
    Participant

It happens, what can you do πŸ™‚
    OK, so the next step is to upload the correct firmware…should be fun and who knows, I might even learn something new.
    Is there anything in the code that might be worth paying special attention to…X, Y home offset, travel speeds of X,Y and Z…

As for the steppers and wiring, all the stepers are the same Nema 17 but the original wires were too short, so I chose a 4 colored wire to make it easyer to extend and connect correctly, all the wires are from the same spool.

Bill
    Participant

You should have the same color order on each connector at both ends. That simplifies tracing the wiring out to help diagnose these types of issues. If you have wires swapped you’ll see one thing, if the connectors have bad crimps or poor soldering you might see the symptoms or you might see different ones.

Dark mind
    Participant

Indeed, every wire and connector is made with the same color order.

Quick question in the dualfirmware is this line in the Marlin/Configuration.h where the work bed is defined and what unit is used?

// @section machine

// The size of the print bed
    #define X_BED_SIZE 200
    #define Y_BED_SIZE 200

Dark mind
    Participant

When I tryed to upload the new firmware I get the following error:

fork/exec C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\ArduinoLLC.ArduinoIDE_1.8.10.0_x86__mdqgnx93n4wtt\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avr-gcc.exe: The filename or extension is too long.
    Error compiling for board RAMBo.

I followed the instructions onΒ https://www.v1engineering.com/marlin-firmware/
    soooo what did I miss?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Arduino ide v 1.9?

Dark mind
    Participant

Arduino ide v 1.8.5

Ryan
    Keymaster

You have to use 1.9.

Dark mind
    Participant

I got Arduino ide v 1.9 but now I get the following error:
    exit status 1
    Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino Uno……….yeeeeee forgot to select Rambo board πŸ˜›

Dark mind
    Participant

OMG ok it uploaded πŸ˜€

It seems I still can not move Y toward zero.

22:15:30.545 : Reporting endstop status
    22:15:30.545 : x_min: TRIGGERED
    22:15:30.545 : x2_min: open
    22:15:30.545 : y_min: open
    22:15:30.545 : y2_min: TRIGGERED
    22:15:30.545 : z_min: open
    22:15:30.545 : z_max: open

Dark mind
    Participant

Found the problem…so simple yet annoying. Two of the original connectors on the wires that came with the package of ednstop switches had a very bad connection (wire was broken inside the insulation).

Thank you for all the help Ryan and Bill. I am looking forward to setting this sweet machine up!

Dark mind
    Participant

I have a little problem with the RepRapDiscount Full Graphic Smart Controller, it does not recognise the SD card.
    The connection to the RAMBo board is about 40cm long and the screen works fine.

I checked the firmware and #define SDSUPPORT is enabled.

Ryan
    Keymaster

What card do you have, how is it formatted? This is a case of the smaller the better. Some will read “card inserted” but won’t show files until you reboot the board.

Dark mind
    Participant

The card is Kingstone 16GB and formatted Fat32…I have one more but I think it is too big 64GB.

Dark mind
    Participant

Well for the love of all that is decent the card decided to work… do not ask me how or why it just woke up.
    On the double plus side I managed to do a test draw of the crown and it came out way nicer than I expected for a first try. Thanks be to you Ryan and the detailed assembly instructions and of course the help you provided here πŸ˜€

I am sooooo looking forward to having some fun with this machine.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Some cards are just finicky. I really haven’t looked into it too much but I have all kinds, the old small ones seem to work perfect, anything over 8G seems to be a crap shoot.

The crown is nice to see right?! Glad it is working for you now, welcome to the crew.

Dark mind
    Participant

To show that all the help you guys gave me was not wasted I would like to share my build and the VERY FIRST wood project on my MPCNC.
    The machine works beautifully, soo far there are no problems and the endstops work like a charm. Belt tensioning is not as important as I first feared, semi-tight or lightly loose makes no difference.

Again thanks be to Ryan for this amazing machine and to all the help and info on this forum!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Dark mind.
    2 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Awesome!

Bill
    Participant

Wow! First project and you are carving… That’s really taking the bull by his horns. πŸ˜‰

Dark mind
    Participant

Heh, thank you.

Well to be honest the very first try was some stirodur (green hard styrofome) and it worked out quite well, but it is not solid enough for small details.
    As for going full throttle at carving…there is just sooooo much usefull info on this forum that if you take the time to read a bunch of topics and also ask if something is unclear it is really not that hard, but it is still smart to take it in steps that don’t overwhelm you…for me it helped that I already have a 3D delta printer for over 5-6 years that I tinkered, upgraded and all round taken apart (what can I say I was bored that day πŸ˜› ) and also managed to get it to print damn fine at 80mm/s for infill.

I just added a very small piece of G code to Estlcam so that when tool change comes up the bit gets raised 50mm and when resumed it automatically lowers it diagonaly towards the next tool path in the code and then resumes normaly.

Here is all that was needed to do in Estlcam for that:

Go to Setup->CNC Programs->Texts->Tool change
    This was the default:
    M05
    M00
    ;Change tool <n>
    M03

This is how it looks now:
    M05
    G01 Z50
    M00 Change tool: <n>
    M03

I still need to test this some more but the first two short tests with tool change seem to work fine.
    Found out that it is NOT advisable to add G01 Z-50 after M00….it will try to “drive” the bit from Z0 to Z-50 XD

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.