Polar table design

New Home Forum ZenXY Advice – ZenXY Polar table design

This topic contains 49 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jeffeb3 3 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Bill
    Participant

Actually Ryan, you’d be really helpful with coming up with the parametric gear pieces for different sized center gears. 🙂 Remember the small one that goes in the stepper should match the teeth for the big, eight piece one. No need for a timing belt on the theta, it just bumps right up and meshes with the big guy.

karltinsly
    Participant

I’m thinking about using a lazy susan as the base. I happen to have an ikea one here, but although its action is plenty smooth, I can’t see an easy way to mount the slip ring – the base is connected to the bearing with a bolt right in the center. I think I’ll order a lazy susan bearing – I’m thinking of one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Turntable-Bearings-Restaurant-Decorations/dp/B07HF12P9B/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1543974462&sr=8-14&keywords=lazy+susan+hardware+aluminum

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Rotating-Turntable-Bearings-Dining-table/dp/B01MQY8U5R/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543974462&sr=8-3&keywords=lazy+susan+hardware+aluminum

Once I have a spinning platform, the radius gantry can be any kind of linear motion setup – V1-style conduit, smooth rods, or profile.

I was thinking that the carriage from the ZenXY would work fine. Just need to design brackets to hold the conduit the correct distance apart and to mount the motor and idler.

Thoughts?

karltinsly
    Participant

I went ahead and ordered one of those lazy susan bearings, along with this slip ring:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FL8NR8M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Where am I going to find the time to build this thing?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Thoughts?

That makes a lot of sense. Considering some of those lazy Susan mechanisms are about $5 on Amazon, I think it’s hard to beat with bearings. I like Ryan’s gantry piece for the zen xy, but I’m not sure the spacing is exactly right for the belts. I think it’s wider than the idlers. If I had my choice, I’d leave the side that has the teeth and remove the side with the several zip ties and the bolt. Then just zip tie the ends together, like the Y axis on the mp3dp. You might have to cut through some of the gantry though to make room.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Give me a few days before you need it, and I can get sandify to output gcode so that Y is really an angle and X is really the linear axis (or flipped, whichever).

I think this might even end up being simpler than the ZXY. I may be jinxing it…

karltinsly
    Participant

Give me a few days before you need it, and I can get sandify to output gcode so that Y is really an angle and X is really the linear axis (or flipped, whichever).

I doubt it will be very soon, but I will let you know. I’m curious though why Sandify would need to be modded at all. Doesn’t it already output polar code?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The polar code isn’t gcode, it’s a list of angle, normalized radius. The radius is always between 0,1 and there are no G commands in it. The simple example is this, which will spiral out from the center and make 100 turns before it reaches the outermost edge:

0 0
    628 1

So it will take 100 turns (2 * pi * 100) and end up at the outside edge. (That’s Bruce Shapiro’s explaination, I like it).

So for a Marlin machine with angle and length, the same thing might be

G1 X0 Y0
    G1 X628 Y250

Assuming the linear rail is 250 max, and that radians are a good unit for the angle. It might not be, because there are some limits in resolution in Marlin, so we might have to pick something crazy like 1/10th radians or even degrees *gasps*.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Another possible solution is to make Marlin do the conversion between x,y and theta/rho. It does it for deltas, so it could do it for your machine. I have no idea how much code is involved in that. Sandify would remain simpler (rather than just have a “Karl’s machine” button), and you could possibly reuse your gcode on the cartesian machine.

Bill
    Participant

I bought a lazy susan bearing set like that for the 3D scanner setup I almost made a few years ago. Come to think of it, that design was awfully close to this one… 🙂

So for a Marlin machine with angle and length, the same thing might be

G1 X0 Y0
    G1 X628 Y250

I assume with lots or arcs in between those two? 🙂

Jeffeb3
    Participant

As the X axis moves from 0 to 628, it will be rotating the motor enough so the whole gantry will take 100 turns. A move from X0 to X3.14 would be 180 degrees. A move from X3.14 to X6.28 would be another 180 degrees. So these units aren’t going to be that great, we’ll need something finer.

Marlin drives in a straight line, so at X314, the Y will be half of it’s final goal, or 125mm out, and it does everything else proportionally.

Kelly D
    Participant

You guys are all a few floors above me in corner offices with killer views but you’re definitely making me curious about what’s inside this thing. We’ve had it for a couple of years. I think I ordered it off of ThinkGeek. It’s the one reason I need to wait for the right moment in life to surprise the wife with a sand art coffee table 😉

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Through the magic of the Internet:

(Spoiler alert!!)

1 user thanked author for this post.

geodave
    Participant

How about an upside down Delta machine? Here is a calculator for Delta sizes. http://www.thinkyhead.com/_delta/

That video looks like a really cool method for a sand table if you come up with a design for that.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

That would be a big box, and another motor. It would be pretty for the firmware though. The other interesting thing is that you could actually move the magnet away from the surface. You could even have it follow a non-flat surface… I’m not sure if that’s useful but…

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I like the next video this guy has. He’s creating light patterns without the sand:

Kelly D
    Participant

Through the magic of the Internet!

Well that saves the questioning by the family. “What are you doing to it dad?!”

Hahaa…..

That’s pretty simple. Neato. Kinda like a spirograph…. Thanks for digging that up to indulge me. my Wifi in the basement office isn’t like yours on the executive floors…..

Bill
    Participant

my Wifi in the basement office isn’t like yours on the executive floors…..

Don’t believe everything you hear… It’s actually slower to push all those bits and bytes up to the rarefied upper stories. Down in the basement gravity works to your advantage.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I found some pretty good math for spirographs. I should be able to add stuff like this to sandify without too much trouble.

https://github.com/jeffeb3/sandify/issues/66

(hijacking this thread for more sandify stuff, but, oh well).

geodave
    Participant

After thinking about this, these movements reminded me of the Trammel of Archimedes.  That movement by itself will not give you want you want, but might be something to consider to start with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes

I remixed someone’s thingiverse design to use only plastic parts if you want to play with the idea. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2927475

Did you ever see this video of software creating gears based on movment.

gzumwalt on thingiverse had it linked on this build he did. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1212665

Gzumwalt has some pretty cool designs & challenging to print & put together.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

After thinking about this, these movements reminded me of the Trammel of Archimedes. That movement by itself will not give you want you want, but might be something to consider to start with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trammel_of_Archimedes%5B/quote%5D

Oval table! Since the two axes are linked, you can’t really adjust the radius of the endpoint without changing the length of that linkage, but you could put the linear axis on the arm, and instead of rotating it on a circle, you could rotate it along an oval. That might be pretty fun. I don’t know how you would get the power to the linear axis.

Did you ever see this video of software creating gears based on movement

The most terrifying part about that is that it’s from Disney. They have their hands in some strange honeypots… But otherwise, that is some really cool software. Instead of the “open loop” way of choosing the size of the gears and lengths of the rods, you’re able to go backwards, a bit and choose the gears and rods from a pattern. The method for determining that is a good algorithm for a lot of problems too. Just put in a huge number of input and record their outputs. Compare a desired output to your database of input/output pairs, and find the closest one. Then search around the space of the closest match for inputs that match even better. Add in some simulated annealing to avoid local minimums, and you’ve got a non-linear system solver! I’ve used something similar to this to determine a camera calibration on some very inexpensive (high distortion) cameras.

Viewing 20 posts - 31 through 50 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.