Plasma – Lowrider v2 (questions about both)

New Home Forum LowRider Advice – LowRider Plasma – Lowrider v2 (questions about both)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Bryan 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

MikeDub
    Participant

I’ll just highjack my thread for a slightly different question.

I’m in the midst of putting together a POC lowrider 2 and up to the wiring.

Has anyone used Dual endstops with the Lowrider 2?

Is there any clear benefit to this?

I have 5 steppers and endstops at my disposal, so it I could potentially do it, just wondering if there was any downsides.

On a side note, i think i may need a endstop for my Z homing (unless it is already smart enough to do this), was thinking of implementing this for the plasma -> https://planet-cnc.com/floating-z-axis/

Additionally I’ve decided to dual purpose the machine and allow room to use the standard router kit as well (standard design), so will probably just hang the plasma off the side of the 611 plate (yet to solution this).

Thanks!

Jeffeb3
    Participant

The trick with the LR is the Z endstops. You want them on max, since the machine would crash into them on min. There isn’t a preconfigured version for it, and IIRC, you need to use Zmax for Z1 and Ymax for Z2.

IMO, it’s not needed because you can get within a mm of square with a tape measure and hard stops. 1mm over five feet is square enough in my book. I just always start the machine against the edge of the table (which I know is square) and I give each Z screw a little twist to make sure there’s no tension before I jog the machine to my starting position. Then a G92 sets the origin.

kd2018
    Participant

I’ll just highjack my thread for a slightly different question.

I’m in the midst of putting together a POC lowrider 2 and up to the wiring.

POC?

Has anyone used Dual endstops with the Lowrider 2?

Is there any clear benefit to this?

I have 5 steppers and endstops at my disposal, so it I could potentially do it, just wondering if there was any downsides.

On a side note, i think i may need a endstop for my Z homing (unless it is already smart enough to do this), was thinking of implementing this for the plasma -> https://planet-cnc.com/floating-z-axis/

How are you going to configure the floating z action in the firmware? Or are you planning on handling touchoffs with a gcode sequence?

Bryan, who linked his plasma lowrider build thread earlier, used that same float mount with success but has redesigned. But he uses linuxcnc instead of a marlin controller.

Additionally I’ve decided to dual purpose the machine and allow room to use the standard router kit as well (standard design), so will probably just hang the plasma off the side of the 611 plate (yet to solution this).

Thanks!

That’s exactly what Bryan was doing, but he found that with the torch mounted on the edge of the 611 plate that it would torque the gantry. You can see it some of his video clips. His redesigned float mount puts the torch in the middle of the plate.

MikeDub
    Participant

POC?

How are you going to configure the floating z action in the firmware? Or are you planning on handling touchoffs with a gcode sequence?

Bryan, who linked his plasma lowrider build thread earlier, used that same float mount with success but has redesigned. But he uses linuxcnc instead of a marlin controller.

That’s exactly what Bryan was doing, but he found that with the torch mounted on the edge of the 611 plate that it would torque the gantry. You can see it some of his video clips. His redesigned float mount puts the torch in the middle of the plate.

Proof of Concept, I’m building the LR2 without a table first to get everything right and operational to ensure my plans don’t need to change.

I’ve only decided to dual purpose as I’ve seen people doing it, but I’m not sure if its been 100% successful and maintainable or not. I’m yet to figure out how to manage the z control.

This is the purpose of my POC as well to nut this stuff out, I might end up having to create an adapter or redesign the middle mounting plate as Bryan did, however I have a different ‘hand’ torch so I will need to take this into account.

kd2018
    Participant

Proof of Concept, I’m building the LR2 without a table first to get everything right and operational to ensure my plans don’t need to change.

You’re building it backwards just like me! I finished the lr2 gantry a few weeks ago and now sorting out how I want to build the table. After buying homing switches and shielded wire for them I think I’m going to try go without any homing switches except for a float switch. I think I’ll try to set up a tunable “parking station” to rely on for zeroing/homing.

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with for your hand held torch mount.

Bryan
    Participant

Like kd said before, I had mine cantilevered off of the short end of the 611 plate and while it worked, it wasn’t optimal. It depends on how often you are using plasma vs router. I’m using mine as a plasma cutter 95% of the time, so that’s why I switched to designing a better mount in the center. It takes at least 10-15 minutes to take the water pan off so switching the torch mount off as well is no big deal.

If you go with an ohmic sensing setup, you may be able to get away with mounting it on the edge. The float switch causes quite a bit of deflection when the torch moves down.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.