New MPCNC build, Y1 Grinding issue first run

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Troubleshooting – MPCNC New MPCNC build, Y1 Grinding issue first run

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Phillip Francine 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Phillip Francine
    Participant

Hey Everyone,

I just got done all the hardware and running of wires for my new build which I am extremely excited to share with all of you but first I am having an issue and wanted to make sure I’m not missing something stupid. Anyways I connected my Rambo board for the first time today that I ordered from here to do the initial test run of the build and everything worked except the Y1 motor was grinding back and forth. I posted a short video of it here: https://youtu.be/Fs5Min6J4sg.

to sum up what I’ve already tried:

-tested continuity from the Y1 motor to the Y1 port ( Results: SAT )

-Switched the Y1 and Y2 connectors on the Rambo board (connected Y2 to Y1 port and Y1 to Y2 port). (Results: Y1 worked correctly and Y2 exhibited the grinding issue)

-switched pin assignments between Y1 and Y2 in Marlin to rule out software. (No change, Y1 continued to grind)

Conclusion: Its not the motor, and it isn’t a loose connection, I have every motor wired up the same in terms of which coils to which pins on the Rambo so I don’t believe its wired incorrectly. It isn’t software based on the Pin assignment change. The only thing I can see it being is that I got a bad board some how. Hopefully that’s not the case and someone can point out something I might of missed. Thank you. Once I figure this out I will be sharing my build with a couple of features that I think people will like…

Thanks again for any help,

-Phill

Barry
    Participant

Did you get the rambo from here, or amazon?

Also, that looks exactly like what a miswired stepper does.  Have you checked to see if the coils are actually on the wire colors you think they are?

Phillip Francine
    Participant

I got the Rambo board from here, didn’t want to take any chances of fakes/cheap versions. I checked the coil wiring by checking continuity between wires from the motor to verify my two pairs. also its wired exactly like the other 4 and came in a set of 5. I also tried a different motor and got the same issue using a cable that was verified working on another port.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Interesting. I would say re-flash it just in case I did something funky.

Barry
    Participant

Okay, cool, just checking.  We’ve seen some weirdness lately with clones.

Phillip Francine
    Participant

I reflashed it a couple times checking and rechecking the firmware but still got the same issue…. sadly I think its toast for this project. I just ordered a new one from you yesterday so hopefully I just swap it out and it’s all good.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Let me know if that fixes it, and we can work out the details of the return.

Phillip Francine
    Participant

Thanks I will definitely let you know, I wont be able to test it till Tuesday but I’ll let you know as soon as I do! Cant wait to finish this project!

Phillip Francine
    Participant

So surprisingly the new board came today before I left so i decided to hook it up and see what happens. I flashed the dual endstop firmware and told it to home and low and behold IT WORKED! Im so pumped that the issue is gone. Now I just need to 3d print a bracket for my router and and then take some beauty photos and Ill share my build. Wont be until mid next week sometime sadly but its coming! Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.