new mpcnc build

This topic contains 30 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  dane 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author

dane
    Participant

hi there, ordered the parts from ryan, finally got them today assembled the z axis just as the assembly shows went out and bought some 3/4″ emt from the hardware store get it home, cut it and clean up the cuts. when i go to insert the pipes for a test fit in the z axis theres is alot of friction, not so much on the up and down plane but where the pipes cross in the body of the z its hard to slide them in and out. any hints, all the adjustment bolts are loose and the others are just snugged up as per instructions

dane
    Participant

and when i slide the rod in and out it the 3d printed z assembly kinda tried to spiral around the tube a little bit

dane
    Participant

also all bearings spin freely and all make contact with the pipe they are all 608 bearings

Jeffeb3
    Participant

Can you post some pictures of which parts are tight?

Jeffeb3
    Participant

You may need to just run it for a while, then reassemble it to get things snugged up properly.

dane
    Participant

The pipe barely moves in the z as in the pic

dane
    Participant

i thought it would very freely move in the bearings

dane
    Participant

Would loosing these nuts make any difference u think?

Dakota Jim
    Participant

Those should be snugged to 5.5nm or 4 ft lbs. I had a tough time getting the z-axis tubes inserted through the bearings but I loosened them up a bit to get the tubes through and then re-snugged them down until there was noticeable resistance and then backed them off a tiny bit. I also sanded the cut ends of the tubes to ease insertion through the bearings. I also discovered that the threaded piece the z screw goes through needs to be a little loose to avoid binding. once installed I then snugged the screws down on that.

Hope this helps and good luck

dane
    Participant

This piece will not slide down the pic in the pic using gravity, should it? Or am I in the wrong in thinking it should

dane
    Participant

my bolts are only snug to the point where they bearing has no play but spins freely

dane
    Participant

maybe i have the wrong size tubing. i’m in canada and purchased the 3/4″ emt conduit from lowes. home depot.etc

dane
    Participant

anyone?

Barry
    Participant

Have you measured the outside diameter of the conduit?  Someone may have put the wrong size in the pile.

Mike @Pix2Proto
    Participant

The emt conduit size should be fine.  I don’t think my carriages would fall under gravity when I used EMT, just make sure that they move the length of the conduit with very little force, you don’t want your steppers to lose steps moving the spindle along the conduit.

1 user thanked author for this post.

dane
    Participant

if i fling the part down the conduit it stops due to friction very quickly they arnt that easy to move lol but the bearings spin freely so im stumped, ive tried loosening stuff and it still doesnt slide without force

dane
    Participant

if i turn the bearing with my fingers ig goes up and down the pipe  kinda like a lead screw lol they are that tight

dane
    Participant

od of the 3/4 conduit is 0.934 id is 0.807

Jeffeb3
    Participant

anyone?

This is rude. Your post has been up for less than six hours. You can do it yourself, or you can be patient. We are doing this voluntarily.

Conduit has a coating that will wear off soon. I would leave it and I think you’ll have a perfect fit in just a few jobs from now. If you want it looser then bring the part back to the HW store and find one you like better.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

anyone?

This is rude. Your post has been up for less than six hours. You can do it yourself, or you can be patient. We are doing this voluntarily.

Conduit has a coating that will wear off soon. I would leave it and I think you’ll have a perfect fit in just a few jobs from now. If you want it looser then bring the part back to the HW store and find one you like better.

And you already had two people taking time from their day to respond.

dane
    Participant

im very sorry if i was rude i didnt mean to be, i just kinda got frustrated. in most if not all the builds on youtube everything slides freely and mine doesnt and i thought it was because of something i was doing wrong.

dane
    Participant

i very much appreciate all the help i have recieved from this forum

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I think I’m being a bit cranky. All is forgiven.

dane
    Participant

im just worried that i was doing something wrong thats all

Heath
    Participant

You may be overthinking it.  Keep assembling.  Mine was kind of tight too.  I made a gcode to just move the gantry back and forth from Xmin/Ymin to Xmax/Ymax about 10 times.  I let it run quite a few times  while I was cleaning up and doing other things in my shop.  Eventually it wore off the coating on the EMT and moves smooth and easy now.

2 users thanked author for this post.

dane
    Participant

thank you ill try that and maybe get different tube as well. i appreciate your reply heath

Aaron
    Participant

There is a 3/4″ emt attachment on thingiverse that you can attach to your drill to polish the emt. I used this with a couple of different scotchbrite pads to smooth everything out. Worked like a champ for me.

If I get time I can upload the link……

By the way…. First time post here!

dane
    Participant

thanks Aaron ill check that out

dane
    Participant

cant seem to find it 🙁

BT
    Participant

It’s a drill attachment to spin the conduit while using a steel wool to smooth the conduit.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.