New Build, South TX

This topic contains 28 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ryan 5 months ago.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Tam
    Participant

Hello from South Texas!

I’ve been a long time follower of this project and have been waiting to complete my build since Dec 2016.

I started with the hardware and electronics kit from the site and 3d printed all of the parts.  Just when I was ready to build, I got distracted with work and life and never found time to get started up again.

I have the house to myself for the next couple of weeks and finally have found time to re-start this build.

My specs are as follows:

• 2′ x 2′ build -> 12″ x 12″ x 3″ work area
    • 400W VFD Spindle with ER11 Collet
    • Dual Endstop with Archim Controller

Since the design has been updated since I first started, I needed to source a few parts and re-print some parts

• T8 Leadscrew and Nut with Collar
    • Burly Upgrades
    • New Foot

1 user thanked author for this post.

Jeffeb3
    Participant

I’m going to call your colors: “Iron Man In Miami”.

I like it. Hope you find it fun to build and worthy of your free time.

Tam
    Participant

It wasn’t my first choice of colors, but I’ll take it.  I was originally going for all red the burley parts but accidentally printed half the parts using the “J” size parts instead of the “C”.  I just reached into my filament bin and grabbed the first spool that looked like it had enough left to print the parts, which was hot pink.

Most of the parts are PLA, but the gold corners are PETG for some added strength.

Ryan
    Keymaster

These are starting to become some of my favorite builds, the shelved ones that are being resurrected. Keep up the momentum, lets keep it off the shelf this time!

Tam
    Participant

Well, I got most of the base assembled tonight but in the process I cracked a corner.  It didn’t seem like I was over-tightening it, I still had probably a 1/16th of an inch gap between the two pieces before it cracked.

I’ll add the broken corner to the print queue and will focus on the Z-Axis in the morning.

Tam
    Participant

A little more of a post-mortem.  It looks like I printed this part using a honey-comb infill pattern.  I’m going to try with rectilinear on this next part to see if it handles the stress better.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

From the pictures I see no gaps in any of the corners, there should be ~2mm, you seemed to be extremely over tightened.

Tam
    Participant

Ooooh.. That would be it then.  I should have taken a closer look at your picture of the assembled corner.

I went ahead and backed it off a little on all the remaining corners.  Does this look better?

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Yup, snug, not tight.

Tam

Tam
    Participant

Middle assembly built and squared up.  Time for a coffee break and some reflection on how I want my wires routed.

Attachments:

Tam
    Participant

Starting the wire routing.  Ran into some unexpected issues.  With the dual end stop mounts the leads on the end stops are too long and interfere with the bearings on the roller mount.  Snipped off the leads and planned on soldering directly to the leads.  Went to grab the soldering iron but — where’s the solder?  Spent an hour looking for it in all the usual spots and decided to give up and make a trip to Wally-mart.

Switches now soldered and I got to zip tie mount.  I can’t fit the zip ties through the switch.  I ended up drilling out the holes so I could slide the smallest ties I could through.

Cleaned everything up with some JST wire connects for easy service and some PET sleeving for looks.  Also I realized I had the gantry installed backwards and flipped it around so the tool mount faced the lower right (X0, Y0) position.

1 down 3 or 4 more to go.

Attachments:

Tam
    Participant

I must say it’s looking pretty sexy.  Wires have been connected and run awaiting termination and connection to the controller.  Next step belts, then electronics then power and smoke test.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

With the dual end stop mounts the leads on the end stops are too long and interfere with the bearings on the roller mount.

I just bend them a bit, 30 degrees or so.

Next step belts, then electronics then power and smoke test.

Best to test without belts at first.

Tam

Tam
    Participant

Thanks — I realized why you said that after I had already assembled the belts.  Luckily it’s just a few zip ties that need to be taken off.

Tested all 5 steppers with stock firmware on Archim board and they all check out (at least on X1, Y1 drivers).  The Z is a little tricky without end stops and the extruder steppers won’t run on stock firmware (cold extrusion … blah).

Question:

Is it normal for the motor power to shut down on this board if you “hot swap” an extruder?  Is this a feature of the DRV8825?  If so, is there a workaround so I don’t have to hard power cycle each time I want to test or swap out a stepper?

Ryan
    Keymaster

Is it normal for the motor power to shut down on this board if you “hot swap” an extruder? Is this a feature of the DRV8825? If so, is there a workaround so I don’t have to hard power cycle each time I want to test or swap out a stepper?

Unplugging a stepper while powered and energized is the fastest way to destroy your board. DO NOT DO THIS on any board/driver.

Tam

Tam
    Participant

Is it normal for the motor power to shut down on this board if you “hot swap” an extruder? Is this a feature of the DRV8825? If so, is there a workaround so I don’t have to hard power cycle each time I want to test or swap out a stepper?

Unplugging a stepper while powered and energized is the fastest way to destroy your board. DO NOT DO THIS on any board/driver.

Well, i’ll stop doing that then.  I guess I’ve been lucky so far.

Tam
    Participant

Just figured out how to build the firmware from your branch.

Placing here for others to find.

git clone [email protected]:Allted/Marlin.git

git checkout MPCNC_Archim1_T8_16T_LCD_DualEndstop

I'm building using platformio so I created a new environment to specify the ARCHIM board for the HAL.  Make the changes in the attached patch.

Then run:

pio run -e DUE_ARCHIM

I am running on a Mac and I was having trouble uploading to the board. Actually I tried on a linux machine and was having trouble uploading using the platformio upload target.

I found that if you install the bossa-cli utility (bossac) on linux or the dmg from the vendor http://www.shumatech.com/web/products/bossa

You can issue the following command to upload successfully to the board.

bossac -i -p "tty.usbmodem14501" -w -v -b .pioenvs/DUE_ARCHIM/firmware.bin

Replace “tty.usbmodem14501” with the USB serial port created when you attach the Archim.

If you are unable to erase or detect the board you need to drop into the boot loader.

See attached photo for where to press.

After board is programmed you can press the reset button to boot.

Hope this helps others out who have this board!

Attachments:

Tam
    Participant

Patches didn’t upload.  I’m issuing some PR’s on the GitHub repo.

Enhancement to add platformIO support to allow build via command line.

https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/pull/3

Just my own branch since I don’t have an LCD connected yet.

https://github.com/aznoohwee/Marlin/tree/MPCNC_Archim1_T8_16T_NOLCD_DualEndstop

Edit – Dropped PR#2; PR#3 properly fixes both for platformio build.

Tam
    Participant

Firmware boogaloo and interference issue on Burley 23.5mm??

I tried the Archim 1 Dual Endstop firmware from the branch and seemed to be having trouble with the Y motor current (did not try the other extruders).

I switched back to Marlin4Due (preloaded on board) and was able to drive the same Y motor.  X motors worked fine on both boards.  I’ll work with Marlin4Due just to get up and running without end stops but I’d like to put some time in to figure what is going on with the firmware.

Second thing — While testing the Z motor I noticed some binding on the rollers near the motor coupler.  Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 608 bearing was right up against the coupler.  Is this an assembly issue or is it design?  The clearance seems awfully close here… Perhaps I just got a larger Z brass bearing than normal.

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 608 bearing was right up against the coupler.

Flip the brass nut over.

seemed to be having trouble with the Y motor current

In what way?

Tam
    Participant

Seemed to energize about half the coils and stepper would rock back and forth without moving position.

I tried swapping cables, motors etc.. Seemed to always have trouble with the same Y driver.  I thought the driver had been blown but as a last ditch effort I switched to Marlin4Due and it seemed to work just fine.

I’m currently reviewing the HAL_DUE fastIO pin map and pins_Archim1 header to see if the mapping is correct against the schematic.

Tam
    Participant

Tam wrote: Upon closer inspection I noticed that the 608 bearing was right up against the coupler. Flip the brass nut over.

Awesome — I am consistently impressed with the design.  Thats some magical tolerances there.

Tam
    Participant

Tam wrote: seemed to be having trouble with the Y motor current In what way?

I made a video — Describes it much better than any of my words can.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Can you try with arduino to see if platformio is just not right? The firmware has been confirmed, and you confirmed your wiring and stepper, only thing I can think of is the compiler.

Tam
    Participant

Can you try with arduino to see if platformio is just not right? The firmware has been confirmed, and you confirmed your wiring and stepper, only thing I can think of is the compiler.

You’re onto something.  I built with the Arduino compiler (as much as I hate GUIs), and I have a functioning Y axis now.  It’s either compiler or some macro’s/defines that get inserted by Arduino that aren’t set by platformIO.  I’ll see if I can figure it out laser this week but for now… onwards!

Thanks!

Tam
    Participant

Discovered issue is that the fastIO pin map does not match the board manager pin definitions.  The comments in Marlin/src/pins/pins_ARCHIM1 are correct (mostly…) however the mapping in fastIO (which is used in platformIO) is incorrect.

Need to fix one or the other… — Probably leaning towards fixing the fastIO pins since most users still use the Arduino board def from UltiMachine.

Tam
    Participant

Back to RAMPS board.  I suspect I damaged a couple steppers on my Archim.  I’ll have to move on from it until I find some time to do some rework on the board.

First test was squareness.  Seems to be pretty square!  I may need to do some adjustments for leveling as the pen seemed to lift periodically; or it could just be my surface.

Next – Off to learn how to use fusion 360 CAM and draw the crown.

Attachments:

Tam
    Participant

I got ESTLCAM up and running through a VM on my mac.

Firsts tests.

Fixed the leg heights by measuring with calipers and re-adjusting the mounts.

First attempt: Lower left.  I found out that the pen tool mount was loose causing the distortion.

Tried again at all of the corners and success!

https://youtu.be/qfeMV5etcic

I’m going to try a few more drawings before I move on.  Fun!

Attachments:

Ryan
    Keymaster

Fun!

High five!

Tam
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.