New Build Near Detroit, MI

New Home Forum Mostly Printed CNC – MPCNC Your Builds – MPCNC New Build Near Detroit, MI

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Dui, ni shuo de dui 2 hours, 46 minutes ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Garrett
    Participant

Howdy,

Here is my MPCNC that I have been slowly making progress on. I was going for an Iron Man color scheme. If you couldn’t tell.

The working dimensions are 19 x 19 x 3 inches. This allowed it to just fit on the cabinet I was able to snag from work.

I’m currently finishing up the wiring and belts and hopefully should be able to run some initial tests soon.

I plan on using this primarily for wood but I want to try my hand at aluminum and steel eventually.

I am going to build an enclosure for this where I can lift the sides to be able to run longer pieces on it.

I am quite surprised at how sturdy this is given its cost and materials. Props to a nifty design.

How level should the rails be with the table top? All my rails are currently +/- 0.2 degrees. I figured that should be fine but wanted to double check if I should try to improve them.

mpcnc

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

Looks good, good size, don’t worry about the angle for now just get it dirty!!!

and Welcome!

John Pollman
    Participant

Looks good!

I’m making progress .on mine too. It’s gonna be 36×24. I’m in Rochester Hills.

Garrett
    Participant

Looks good!

I’m making progress .on mine too. It’s gonna be 36×24. I’m in Rochester Hills.

Thank you.

Yours is looking good as well. Is that your working dimensions or outside dimensions?

I used to live in Rochester Hills but moved down to Sterling Heights last year.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 8 hours ago by  Garrett.

Garrett
    Participant

I finally got some time to finish the wiring and start on some drawings to test it’s performance.

20190519_151826

Here is a picture of the crown drawing. I ran it a second time over the first one just to confirm its repeatability. I am happy with it.

20190519_151844

I then wanted to test the accuracy so I created a simple design that I could check how square it was and its dimensional accuracy. everything looked and measured close enough. I’ll probably run another calibration test like this after I attach the router and can measure parts better.

20190519_155156

Lastly, I have seen some people draw Mayan calendars to see how it performs with lots of details. I figured I’d run something similar and more fitting to my color scheme. And why not throw a Star Wars one in there just for the fun of it.

20190519_190129
    20190519_170119

Overall, I am very happy with how it is performing so far. Next time that I have some free time I will be attaching the router and finally getting it dirty.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Ryan
    Keymaster

and finally getting it dirty.

Finally……

Drawings look great to me.

John Pollman
    Participant

Hi Garrett,

36×24 are my working dimensions. My table is 48×36.

Garrett
    Participant

I had some time yesterday and was going to try some cutting but little one went down early and I didn’t want to wake the baby so I ended up adding a spoil board and cleaned up all my cables. I really like the tape measure trick, it was simple and cheap and looks pretty nice. I decided to add an upper bar to mount the y axis cables to so that it would leave the side open so that I can run long boards through without the cables being in the way. It also gave be a surface to mount the electronics onto until I enclose it.

20190521_215730
    20190521_215738
    20190521_215745

Ryan
    Keymaster

+1 for the tape measure trick! I really like the way you have your spoil board set up. I might have to give that a shot on mine. The easy swap spoil board.

Garrett
    Participant

+1 for the tape measure trick! I really like the way you have your spoil board set up. I might have to give that a shot on mine. The easy swap spoil board.

Thanks. I needed a spoil board and because I was going to use a thin piece of MDF I wanted an easy way to swap them out. The spoil board is a standard 2ft x 2ft piece of MDF so I just need to buy another $4 board when I need to replace it. Nice and easy swap.

I also plan on adding threaded inserts in the bottom plastic board and then have through holes in the MDF. That way when I replace the MDF, I can just rerun the through hole gcode from a close enough staring spot and I wont need to replace the inserts.

Dui, ni shuo de dui
    Participant

Very nice build so far, kudos!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.